Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2021, 08:43 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Here's a statue of George Washington in Trafalgar Square. Isn't he the "Robert E. Lee" of the American Revolution from the perspective of the Brits?
I'll let the British determine if they want to keep Washington or King George.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 08:46 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Good, traitors to the USA have no place in that public hall of honor. And the vote was bipartisan.

Also, this is not erasing any history, merely changing the way in which we regard it.
It is pure virtue signaling NONSENSE. It does not change how people view anything. Only easily brainwashed Marxists think that.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:47 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,217,746 times
I see there are around 100 statues in the capitol, 8 confederate officers or leaders. One confederate was removed in 2009 and replaced with Hellen Keller. I wonder how many monuments there are to WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam officers.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:48 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is pure virtue signaling NONSENSE. It does not change how people view anything. Only easily brainwashed Marxists think that.
So if it doesn't change history what is the issue.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:05 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I don't. They, at least, did some things for the GOOD of the country (Declaration of Independence, Constitution, forming "a more perfect Union," although imperfect, in reality!).

Them "Rebels" did nothing good for the country. They committed treason!
Robert E. Lee didn't win key military battles before the confederacy?????

Do you even know the history of your own country?

Old 07-06-2021, 09:07 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I'll let the British determine if they want to keep Washington or King George.
I really don't get why there is a statue of George Washington in the UK.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Here's a statue of George Washington in Trafalgar Square. Isn't he the "Robert E. Lee" of the American Revolution from the perspective of the Brits?
And for the life of me, I don't get why there is a statue of George Washington in London.

That being said, my position remains the same. Tear down those Confederate statues. Take them out of all public places, especially the U.S. Capitol, and put them in museums. Use those statues in museums as a history lesson regarding how messed up the Lost Cause of the Confederacy really is.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I disagree with this. I don't see this as virtue signaling. To me, this is a recognition that Confederate generals and Confederate leaders do not deserved to be honored or lionized. Having their likeness in statues says "they are heroes and deserve to be honored". They do not deserve it. They shouldn't have had statues in their likeness in the first place. However, the United Daughters of the Confederacy and Jim Crow-era politicians wanted it bad enough. They were the ones pushing the Lost Cause nonsense.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:18 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I see there are around 100 statues in the capitol, 8 confederate officers or leaders. One confederate was removed in 2009 and replaced with Hellen Keller. I wonder how many monuments there are to WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam officers.
First, are you still counting RE Lee and Aycock from NC? Because they're both being replaced already.

I'm sure you've read far enough in the original article to see that one of the dissenters said "The states themselves should replace them." I say that merely for the claim "Well, they must be white supremacists if they're not for this law." And I'm not saying you said that, but it has been said multiple times.

Secondly, I'm sure you're aware that each of those wars has their own memorial.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
one question, presumably posed having not read the original articles.... 2 fairly different answers.

so which one is more accurate? Which is closer to fact - history?

Do facts and accurate history matter?
I couldn't read it, as I don't get free articles from the NY Times. I can afford it but I don't want to pay for it.

I did come here to get more information.

https://www.history.com/news/how-the...rate-monuments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies