Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2021, 10:28 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,955,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Good story.

Being constantly offended by the 150+ year past is a new thing.

In the 70s and 80s the #1 show on TV was the Dukes of Hazzard, back when people weren't so sensitive about things from 150 years ago.
A TV show is evidence of what? Sheeeeesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The UDC was basically a propaganda machine. In a big way, you could say the KKK were the paramilitary enforcers of it.
Chapter XV. Of UDC handbook of Lost Cause mythologies & propaganda:

Quote:
Chaper XV. Reconstruction Was Not Just to the South. This Injustice Made the Ku Klux Klan a Necessity.
https://archive.org/details/truthshi...ge/n4/mode/1up

This is the thing with the UDC & neoconfederates et al in the present day, why are they attempting to distance themselves from the KKK, & white supremacist ideology?

Old 07-03-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
Wrong.

When the Dukes of Hazzard came on, the network exec was out of the country. When he came back, he saw the show and gave instructions to a junior exec to cancel it. The following conversation occurred:

Junior Exec: "You really do not want to do that."

Exec: "And just why shouldn't I want do that?"

Junior Exec: It's number one.

It was number one for the first few weeks (but not a year).

And at the time this was on, the confederate flag did not represent favoring slavery or siding with the south. It was largely an opposition of government overkill, alcohol revenuers, and the 55 speed limit.

And what I really do not understand is tearing down a monument that honored the dead in the war. Most of the soldiers didn't own slaves and were mainly defending property from invaders. Why should they be dishonored because of slavery haters.
Slavery haters? Who loves slavery?

More ridiculousness, how unusual.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:11 PM

73,125 posts, read 62,950,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Chapter XV. Of UDC handbook of Lost Cause mythologies & propaganda:

https://archive.org/details/truthshi...ge/n4/mode/1up

This is the thing with the UDC & neoconfederates et al in the present day, why are they attempting to distance themselves from the KKK, & white supremacist ideology?
The UDC is basically trying to make their propaganda more palatable. They understand that they are becoming less and less relevant to some people.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
A TV show is evidence of what? Sheeeeesh.
I've never seen Dukes of Hazzard. I have seen most of The Brady Bunch episodes.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Slavery haters? Who loves slavery?

More ridiculousness, how unusual.
Said Confederate soldiers should have never been lionized in the first place.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
Wrong.

When the Dukes of Hazzard came on, the network exec was out of the country. When he came back, he saw the show and gave instructions to a junior exec to cancel it. The following conversation occurred:

Junior Exec: "You really do not want to do that."

Exec: "And just why shouldn't I want do that?"

Junior Exec: It's number one.

It was number one for the first few weeks (but not a year).

And at the time this was on, the confederate flag did not represent favoring slavery or siding with the south. It was largely an opposition of government overkill, alcohol revenuers, and the 55 speed limit.

And what I really do not understand is tearing down a monument that honored the dead in the war. Most of the soldiers didn't own slaves and were mainly defending property from invaders. Why should they be dishonored because of slavery haters.
For a few weeks. If it wasn't #1 for at least a year, it does not count for being the #1 show. And I've asked this question: How many Black people watched the show? Was it popular with the Black population during that time? I've asked that over and over, and no one has been able to come up with answers. And don't bring up those one or two Black people who watched it. I'm talking about a consensus.

And the Confederate flag represents slavery and racism for Black people. It has represented that for Black people for a very long time. For crying out loud, when Dukes of Hazzard debuted, the Civil Rights Movement was a VERY RECENT (like not even 2 decades prior) memory. Confederate flags were brought out in full force to protest integration. I don't think Black people forgot about that. It represents the Confederate cause, period. And the Confederate cause was about preserving/protecting the institution of slavery. I have no respect for anything Confederate. Those Confederate statues should have never gone up in the first place. I "dishonor" Confederates because of what the Confederate cause is about. My ancestors were slaves. For that reason, I have no respect for the Confederates, or anything Confederate. It doesn't matter to me that alot of soldiers didn't own slaves. The Confederate cause was still the same. I view tearing down those Confederate statues as a recognition that they don't deserve to be honored.

Consider this. The majority of African-Americans are Southerners. Why do the majority of African-Americans view the Confederate flag in a very negative way, as a symbol of racism?

Old 07-03-2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
The UDC is basically trying to make their propaganda more palatable. They understand that they are becoming less and less relevant to some people.
Personally, that is just yet another lost cause. How would one go about making race-based enslavement palatable?

Historical honesty really is the best policy.

From the Texas declarations of why they were seceding from the Union:

Quote:
We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.
Race-based enslavement is identified 21 times in their declaration.

From a piece in 2018 (more than a century after the American Civil War):

Texas Students Will Soon Learn Slavery Played A Central Role In The Civil War

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/16/66855...-the-civil-war

Quote:
Texas' Board of Education voted Friday to change the way its students learn about the Civil War. Beginning in the 2019-2020 school year, students will be taught that slavery played a "central role" in the war.

The state's previous social studies standards listed three causes for the Civil War: sectionalism, states' rights and slavery, in that order.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Personally, that is just yet another lost cause. How would one go about making race-based enslavement palatable?

Historical honesty really is the best policy.

From the Texas declarations of why they were seceding from the Union:

Race-based enslavement is identified 21 times in their declaration.

From a piece in 2018 (more than a century after the American Civil War):

Texas Students Will Soon Learn Slavery Played A Central Role In The Civil War

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/16/66855...-the-civil-war
The UDC understands that the propaganda it has been pushing for over a century can be easily debunked. It is starting to grasp at straws. It's understood what the Confederate cause was about, and the the KKK is. One of the reasons the UDC lied about it for a long time.

The very fact that it's only NOW that Texas schools are trying to rectify this, it leaves one to wonder how many school children were lied to before. And the fact that there are still people who see the Confederate generals as worthy of honor and lionization, just sad.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
The UDC understands that the propaganda it has been pushing for over a century can be easily debunked. It is starting to grasp at straws. It's understood what the Confederate cause was about, and the the KKK is. One of the reasons the UDC lied about it for a long time.

The very fact that it's only NOW that Texas schools are trying to rectify this, it leaves one to wonder how many school children were lied to before. And the fact that there are still people who see the Confederate generals as worthy of honor and lionization, just sad.
Personally, I think there's quite a bit of truth to these sayings:

"One can fool some men, or fool all men in some places & times, but one cannot fool all men in all places & ages."

“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies