Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 11:13 PM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times

Advertisements

This was black privilege and money.

For those who think your average Joe would’ve got the same due process with 33 accusers, I have a bridge to sell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 06:04 AM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAZguy View Post
Good for him.

Poor guy was railroaded.

Can you imagine if you partied with women and then years later were falsely convicted of something that you didn't do? Terrible.

He admitted under oath to drugging women in order to make it easier to rape them. I get that lots of guys have been falsely accused by women of things they did not do. Cosby is not one of them.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:20 AM

2,047 posts, read 858,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
He admitted under oath to drugging women in order to make it easier to rape them. I get that lots of guys have been falsely accused by women of things they did not do. Cosby is not one of them.
Lol that’s not at all what he admitted to. What he basically said was that during his era of the 70s Quaaludes and drugs of that sort were the norm to party with and they were. He claimed these women were down to “party” and partook of taking the drugs and alcohol with him. In today’s world, as men we know better to mess or engage in sexual contact with an intoxicated woman. In those days? This is what EVERYBODY, including women did. Get drunk, get high or whatever and have sex. Now if these women were indeed intoxicated to the point they were passed out or don’t remember, etc? That’s a problem from Mr. Cosby. You don’t have sex with anyone who is unresponsive.

So let’s keep the facts straight, what he admitted to was partying. Partaking in drug use while partying.

Do I believe him? I’m not sure? Do I think he took advantage of the situation? Most likely he did.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:25 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Bill Cosby is out. His sexual assault conviction has been overturned.

I never followed any of this very closely. But I do know that he was convicted at the time when all of the #MeToo witch hunt mob was on the rampage, and the Brett Kavanaugh confirmation hearings were being conducted by some of the most despicable people that humanity has yet produced, based on the same despicable tactics.

I do not know if he is guilty of any of these charges or not. But we cannot just "believe all women," which it appears may be the basis for his conviction here.

Anyway, Bill is back - without a criminal record of any kind.
I basically agree with you. I think many of the women were starstruck and somewhat willing. Public hysteria is a phenomena hard to resist. We're seeing it with Covid, Cosby and "climate change." Politicians and, in the case of Cosby elected prosecutors and judges don't know how to say "no."

Old 07-02-2021, 06:26 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
He admitted under oath to drugging women in order to make it easier to rape them.
Lol, no he didn't.

This is a good outcome for trust in the justice system. But yes, he was probably guilty somewhere along the line.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:37 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
Lol that’s not at all what he admitted to. What he basically said was that during his era of the 70s Quaaludes and drugs of that sort were the norm to party with and they were. He claimed these women were down to “party” and partook of taking the drugs and alcohol with him. In today’s world, as men we know better to mess or engage in sexual contact with an intoxicated woman. In those days? This is what EVERYBODY, including women did. Get drunk, get high or whatever and have sex. Now if these women were indeed intoxicated to the point they were passed out or don’t remember, etc? That’s a problem from Mr. Cosby. You don’t have sex with anyone who is unresponsive.

So let’s keep the facts straight, what he admitted to was partying. Partaking in drug use while partying.

Do I believe him? I’m not sure? Do I think he took advantage of the situation? Most likely he did.
You know if I remember correctly, Cosby said he never partook of the drugs himself, not even alcohol. He liked to be in control.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:40 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
You know if I remember correctly, Cosby said he never partook of the drugs himself, not even alcohol. He liked to be in control.
Control is an interesting word for just as it can be applied to those who like to control others, so it might apply to the control of one's self. By the latter, in many presentations, Batman is very much in control but it is of himself, not of others.

Back in my drinking days, one of the reasons why I didn't drink at parties was because I did not want to wake up the next morning wondering if what I did last night was due to alcohol or party energy.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:59 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
I agree Kavanough was a horrible situation. Clearly women were lining up just to keep him off the court. Cosby had several high profile women who had nothing to gain from coming forward. And others that did have something to gain.

Perhaps the vast majority of women were lying. I don't think they all were. I have liberal friends who think Cosby was targeted because he was a succesful black man and believe all the charges are fake. I don't agree with them.
I cannot say that I know for certain that Bill Cosby is innocent. I also can't say for certain that I know that he's guilty. What I can say is that he was robbed of his right to have a fair trial. The trial proceeded to trample all over his explicit Constitution rights. A judge with overwhelming prior prejudice against Cosby presided. A DA who won election on the promise of taking out Bill Cosby was led the prosecution. A juror who declared his certainty that Cosby was guilty before the trial had even begun was retained as a juror against the defense's objections. There were numerous cases of evidence that was illegally allowed throughout the trial.

The only reason Cosby went to jail because he was never given a fair trial. Everyone shrieking about "he got off on a technicality!!" are failing to realize something: The technicality was the fact that the trial should have never happened in the first place.

As for high profile women coming out decades later, the issue I have is the fact that they came out decades later. Cosby had pissed some people off in cultural and political circles. As was the case with Brett Kavanaugh, when people are coming for you it isn't just about money. The worst thing about Cosby's conviction was the precedent that it sets: If you have enough accusers, you're guilty. I expect that we can easily find several thousand people willing to lie their asses off, claiming to be victims of Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Chuck Schumer, Donald Trump, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Jim Carrey, Robert Downey Jr., etc. Some will do it for money. Some will have all manner of other motivations. We can't just toss aside the burden of proof arbitrarily. And we don't assume anyone is guilty until proven innocent. Our standard is, and must remain, innocent until proven guilty.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:22 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Lol, no he didn't.

This is a good outcome for trust in the justice system. But yes, he was probably guilty somewhere along the line.
Sure, he did. The deposition was pretty damning as he admitted that quaaludes made people "high" and that other pills with a similar purpose as quaaludes had an impact on the "nervous system"; high people can't consent to sex and this concept isn't new.

Quote:
Q:*How did (the doctor) know that you didn’t plan to use [them]?

A:*What was happening at that time was that, that was, quaaludes happen to be the drug that kids, young people were using to party with and there were times when I wanted to have them just in case.

Q:*When you got the quaaludes, was it in your mind that you were going to use these quaaludes for young women that you wanted to have sex with?

A:*Yes.

Cosby acknowledges having a sexual relationship with accuser Therese Serignese starting around 1976, when she was 19. Serignese, who has gone public with her accusations, has said the first time she met Cosby at a Las Vegas hotel in 1976, he gave her quaaludes and a glass of water before they had sex.

Q:*Did you give her quaaludes?

A:*Yes.

Q:*What effect did the quaaludes have on her?

A:*She became in those days what was called high.

Q:*She said that she believes she was not in the position to consent to intercourse after you gave her the drug. Do you believe that is correct?

A:*I don’t know. ... How many years ago are we talking about? 197[6]? ... I meet Ms. Picking in Las Vegas. She meets me backstage. I give her quaaludes. We then have sex.

Q:*Why didn’t you ever take them yourself?

A:*I get sleepy.

Q:*How would you know that if you never took them?

A:*Quaaludes happen to be a depressant. I have had surgery and while being given pills that block the nervous system, in particular the areas of muscle, the back, I found that I get sleepy and I want to stay awake.

Q:*Is that why you don’t drink alcohol?

A:*Exactly.
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...nap-story.html

The deposition is very damning. By noting that quaaludes caused people to become "high and that similarly purposed pills had an impact the nervous system," how is Cosby not admitting to using quaaludes--which he admits he used to give to women before sex and admitted to never taking the drug himself as they made him "sleepy"--for the reason that the other poster stated?

Old 07-02-2021, 09:45 AM

3,413 posts, read 1,446,090 times
When I was studying law, I was taught to always read dissenting opinions, which, on many occasions, shed light on important subject matter. In this case, JUSTICE DOUGHERT eloquently confirms the majority’s opinion to bar further prosecution is wrong!

Judge Dougherty Dissent

“. . . we can return him [Cosby] to the position he enjoyed prior to being forced to surrender his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination by simply suppressing the evidence derived from the civil depositions at which he testified. We should not use Castor’s “blunder” to place Cosby in a better position than he otherwise would have been in by forever barring his prosecution. “So drastic a step” merely “increase[s] to an intolerable degree interference with the public interest in having the guilty brought to book.” Blue, 384 U.S. at 255.6”

JWK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies