Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 10:05 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,775 times

Advertisements

It looked as if: 1) the Democrats had one goal: to get rid of the sitting President. 2) The party took the most pragmatic approach to achieving that goal; choosing an old moderate white man, instead of the party's more progressive candidates, to be its nominee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 10:32 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Been seeing old video of Biden being blatantly clear that he was not going to end the war on drugs and is against Marijuana, so how did he still end up winning the primary against true progressives like Sanders or Yang?????I thought democrats were all for legalizing marijuana, so why put this old fart into the primaries????
Because true progressives can't win in a general election where the Republicans will call them commies. True progressives don't appeal to a portion of the Democrats either. True progressives don't raise the money that candidates like Hillary and Biden did either. After voting for Ralph Nader and seeing him get shut out by Gore, who then lazily stopped campaigning about six weeks before the election and handed the presideny to Bush, I am of the opinion that the elections are some sort of fixed wrestling match where the establishment Dems and Repubs take turns running the government. Trump was an anomaly, something like Carter, and was destined to fail.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:33 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
It looked as if: 1) the Democrats had one goal: to get rid of the sitting President. 2) The party took the most pragmatic approach to achieving that goal; choosing an old moderate white man, instead of the party's more progressive candidates, to be its nominee.
Long live pragmatism!!

Old 07-20-2021, 10:35 AM

306 posts, read 203,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
So far in this thread, Biden has no fans at all! That's why I am skeptical of his approval ratings from liberal media polls.

People didn't tune in to Biden's speeches. And nobody likes Kamala. Biden/Harris is the team that nobody wanted.
You're skeptical of his approval ratings because of a thread on an incredibly right leaning online forum?

Old 07-20-2021, 10:43 AM

23,961 posts, read 15,069,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
You are correct. The goal was the beat DJT. And the only way to do it was with a white male quasi moderate.

Back when the south was one party it was really 2. The liberals and the conservatives. I tend more moderate. Some of that far left talk scares me. And the Republican party has gone off the deep end. They would consider my hero, Barry Goldwater a liberal.

I thought Biden was a republican light.

Unless the Ds get real with their next POTUS candidate, it will be the first election I do not vote in since I paid my first poll tax.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:11 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
You're skeptical of his approval ratings because of a thread on an incredibly right leaning online forum?
a thread *about primaries*

The primaries were a lot about who you wanted to win - but there was a lot of pragmatism, and everyone knew who was going to win once Joe announced he was running.
Last year, everyone voted for Joe in the general - quite a few Bernie bros wouldn't vote for Hillary, but they voted for Joe.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Funny, I’m much more inclined to the corporate Dems and corporate Reps. I find them to be pragmatic, as opposed to the ideologues on the far left and far right.

As a registered Independent, you can vote in either party’s primary in my state, but you have to pick only one. Obviously, there was no reason to vote in the Republican primaries last year. I vote for Klobuchar, but was fine with Biden. Far better than Trump.
Fair enough. You like what suits you best.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fair enough. You like what suits you best.
As we all do.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:20 PM

5,102 posts, read 2,048,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Long live pragmatism!!
If that pragmatism, they could have chosen Bernie since he's around the same age as Biden.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
If that pragmatism, they could have chosen Bernie since he's around the same age as Biden.
Huh? Bernie as a pragmatic choice? On what planet do you live? Bernie is an ideologue, not a pragmatist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies