Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 05:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Florida now has had more cases than New York.
Cases don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 06:39 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Cases don't matter.
Sounds like something that you would see etched into the entranceway of the Darwin Award cemetery.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-09-2021, 07:28 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
False. The vast majority of hospitals are not full. Many ICUs are getting close to capacity, not hospitals. And iCUs don't only house Covid patients. The fact of the matter is this was p1ss poor planing by local and national leaders not to expand ICU capacity, but that's already been explained to you numerous times. 3 beds per every 10,000 people was never going to be enough and that should be more than obvious. They've had 1 1/2 years to do something about it. They've done practically nothing.
Yeah but, what illness are those ICU's filling up with? Are they currently treating:

mumps
rubella
varicella
measles
pneumococcal disease
hepatitis A & B
meningococcal disease
rotavirus
diphtheria
tetanus
poliomyelitis
even the lowly shingles

NOPE! Because those are mitigated by vaccinations that people quite willingly take WITHOUT all of this nonsense about them being occasioned by some nefarious world-wide conspiracy to subjugate and control the simpleminded, paranoid, snowflakes.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:47 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post

I also care that my kids aren't going to live in a paranoid germaphobic biosecurity state getting mRNA injections every year. That's where we are headed.
Last year I would have laughed at this. Now it’s looking like a scary reality.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Kids are at greater risk from flu than covid. Do people get this hysterical each year about flu? No, they don’t.

We actually know a lot about how this virus impacts kids.

I have kids and I understand the risk of covid for them. I’m way more concerned about their social, emotional and mental health than covid because the risk covid poses is minimal, smaller than the risk of flu. The risk the restrictions, isolation, masking, etc. is much higher.
I don't know single kid who was hospitalized with covid or died. And I know dozens who had it.

I know of one 17 year old who had myocarditis from the vaccine shot (immediate reaction that required her to stay in the hospital where she got the shot) and has had continuing heart issues since.

That is enough reason for me to say "no" to the vaccine for my kids. I am vaccinated, so is my wife. For kids, it is not worth the risk for a virus that poses very low risk.

I am not anti-vaxx. To continue to call anyone who questions the safety of the covid vaccine is dishonest at a minimum, being a Jack*** in most cases on this board.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:04 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,249,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
restrictions on capacity, wear masks and vaccine requirements make practical sense with little impact.
facepalm.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:18 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Mitch McConnell is a polio survivor and it's not surprising that a person whose earliest memories involve relearning how to walk and run after partial paralysis would end up pro-vaccinate for all the things.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...polio-70077968

Old 08-09-2021, 08:21 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah but, what illness are those ICU's filling up with? Are they currently treating:

mumps
rubella
varicella
measles
pneumococcal disease
hepatitis A & B
meningococcal disease
rotavirus
diphtheria
tetanus
poliomyelitis
even the lowly shingles

NOPE! Because those are mitigated by vaccinations that people quite willingly take WITHOUT all of this nonsense about them being occasioned by some nefarious world-wide conspiracy to subjugate and control the simpleminded, paranoid, snowflakes.
Amazing how people simply don't read a post or comprehend it.

ICUs are not limited to Covid. Regardless if they have more Covid clients than any other reason people would be there, it does not change the fact that there aren't close to having enough beds in ICUs with only 3 beds for every 10,000 people. What part of this do you not understand?

People like you expect everyone to jump and act like Henny Penny every time an ICU fills up. That's ridiculous with the miniscule amount of rooms available.

My area (Austin metro) has 125 beds for 2.3 million people. If on the high end 80% of the people in the ICU are Covid related, that means 100 people filled up the ICU with Covid illnesses. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that those aren't enough rooms. On average, hospitals typically have 60% or so of those rooms filled up normally outside of the pandemic. It's sheer idiocy that anyone would believe we have enough rooms to deal with the normal amount of people in the ICU in addition to the extra during a pandemic.

And then people start talking about profitability for the hospital. If you want to go down that pathway, fine, but don't sit there and tell me the country is doing everything they can in regards to safety, because they clearly are not if it's merely a profit motive.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:43 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We will see about the long term effects of the vaccines but right now they are working and certainly a better choice.

We will see if DeSantis response is a winning strategy. Lockdown is a pretty broad term, restrictions on capacity, wear masks and vaccine requirements make practical sense with little impact.
Do you realize how asinine that statement is? You’re pushing for people to get a vaccine when the long term effects are unknown. For that matter, even the short term effects - such as enlarged heart and blood clots - are being glossed over. Yet you are offended because some people are hesitant to jump on board, even though if there is an adverse reaction there is no legal recourse against the vaccine manufacturer or the government encouraging our participation in the largest clinical trial in history.

Before you start with the “adverse reactions only happen one in a thousand (or whatever number you use) times” argument, if you gave me a thousand Skittles and told me one of them would kill me I wouldn’t eat them either. And I’m close to needing a twelve step program for my addiction to Skittles.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:55 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Amazing how people simply don't read a post or comprehend it.

ICUs are not limited to Covid. Regardless if they have more Covid clients than any other reason people would be there, it does not change the fact that there aren't close to having enough beds in ICUs with only 3 beds for every 10,000 people. What part of this do you not understand?

People like you expect everyone to jump and act like Henny Penny every time an ICU fills up. That's ridiculous with the miniscule amount of rooms available.

My area (Austin metro) has 125 beds for 2.3 million people. If on the high end 80% of the people in the ICU are Covid related, that means 100 people filled up the ICU with Covid illnesses. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that those aren't enough rooms. On average, hospitals typically have 60% or so of those rooms filled up normally outside of the pandemic. It's sheer idiocy that anyone would believe we have enough rooms to deal with the normal amount of people in the ICU in addition to the extra during a pandemic.

And then people start talking about profitability for the hospital. If you want to go down that pathway, fine, but don't sit there and tell me the country is doing everything they can in regards to safety, because they clearly are not if it's merely a profit motive.
Condescension noted.

Who has suggested that hospitals had enough suites to deal with the usual as well as the rare or unusual. Not I.

My point is 'singularly' the "unusual" and "rare" is being exacerbated by those among us attributing a nefarious conspiracy or anti-science to the acceptance of THIS particular vaccine at this particular "politically polarized" period of our history.

Now; were the occupancy rates of individual ICU's of major concern before Covid?

Were "any" hospitals suggested by anyone expected to maintain suites in numbers that would anticipate a pandemic?

Using your provided figure of 80% occupancy due to Covid; should all hospitals discard the profit, or any other reasonable economic feasibility considerations, to maintain ICU suites in accordant numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies