Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2021, 08:57 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,233,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, it does. There is no allowance for exceptions in the 14th Amendment.

"nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." - 14th Amendment, US Constitution

The 14th Amendment is quite clear. If SOME persons are protected from prosecution for killing an unborn child, then ALL persons must be protected from prosecution for doing the same. Or are you confused as to what "any person" means?
I am not confused by what the term "any person" means but if condescension is where you are heading with the discussion, I don't think there is much more point in me trying to discuss it dispassionately.

If you go many pages back in this thread you will see where I posted my personal feelings on this topic. I indicated that I do disagree with various aspects of the fetal homicide laws, especially when they are applied early in pregnancy and in cases where the perpetrator was unaware the victim was pregnant. However, I separate that policy opinion from whether the Equal Protection clause is implicated in this comparison.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:00 AM

89,194 posts, read 44,953,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I am not confused by what the term "any person" means but if condescension is where you are heading with the discussion, I don't think there is much more point in me trying to discuss it dispassionately.
What condescension? Your response clearly indicates you don't understand the meaning of "ANY PERSON."

If state laws protect SOME persons from prosecution for killing an unborn child, they must protect ANY persons from prosecution for doing the same.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:13 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,456,790 times
Quote:
The 14th Amendment is gender-blind. ALL PERSONS means EXACTLY that: ALL PERSONS.
You exhibit over and over the inability to recognize that not all things that might appear similar at first glance are in fact the same.

When someone avoids a conviction for fetal homicide using your argument or an abortion statute is overturned using your argument let us know. Because until that happens no one cares what fantasy legal arguments you dream up in your make believe courtroom.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:15 AM

18,415 posts, read 19,056,205 times
Quote:
How does legally allowing the killing of another human life for the sake of convenience exemplify "equal protection" under the law? Unborn children, legally recognized as a separate human life by fetal homicide laws, sure aren't getting equally protected from deliberate murder.
As you suggested to me, do your own research. You have no real interest in the explanation of law. You want and use your own biased layman reasoning which holds no water.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
You exhibit over and over the inability to recognize that not all things that might appear similar at first glance are in fact the same.
"ANY person," as directly specified in the 14th Amendment with no allowance for exceptions, is quite clear. If states protect some people from prosecution for killing an unborn child, they must provide the same protection from prosecution to "any person."

Old 12-07-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
As you suggested to me, do your own research. You have no real interest in the explanation of law. You want and use your own biased layman reasoning which holds no water.
The 14th Amendment is quite clear and allows for no exceptions...

"nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." - 14th Amendment, US Constitution

If state law protects SOME persons from prosecution for killing an unborn child, then ANY person must be protected from prosecution for doing the same.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
The 14th Amendment is quite clear and allows for no exceptions...

If state law protects SOME persons from prosecution for killing an unborn child, then ANY person must be protected from prosecution for doing the same.
The law covers people born already. In utero there is no personhood protection until birth.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The law covers people born already. In utero there is no personhood protection until birth.
Incorrect. Fetal homicide laws have already established the legal precedent that an unborn child is a separate human life.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Incorrect. Fetal homicide laws have already established the legal precedent that an unborn child is a separate human life.
Again law school would help your understanding. Fetal homicide laws exclude abortions. Your disagreement with it doesn’t make it truth.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Again law school would help your understanding. Fetal homicide laws exclude abortions. Your disagreement with it doesn’t make it truth.
Constitutionally, they can't do that as doing so creates a separate class (pregnant women and their abortion providers) protected from prosecution for killing another human life.

And before anyone brings up legal killing in self-defense, that protection from conviction for homicide is given to any person who can prove self-defense, as required by the 14th Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.