Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what would it take for you to lose it ? masks coming back ? lockdowns? or do you not care?
even if only the masks came back id lose it 45 28.13%
it would have to be at least the lockdowns 28 17.50%
i dont care either way 72 45.00%
i love lockdowns and masks 15 9.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 11:39 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've been advocating working from home for 21 years. So many people could be working from home, and not need to be out there cramming up the roads, running over critters, intentionally or accidentally, and spewing less filth into the air.

Lockdowns should be a dream for those who actually care about the environment, (not those who just want to make money off of pretending to care about the environment).

The empty roads made my life so much easier as I was considered 'essential'. (I got the goods to people who couldn't come out.) But my most favorite part of it all was that the wildlife was actually showing themselves in great quantity.

I told the story last year about the time I literally had to get out of my car to shoo a squirrel out of the middle of the road, and he still sat there in defiance.

Maybe I looked like an idiot arguing with a stubborn squirrel, but I loved it. I loved that I had to have that little discussion, because they were happy. They were everywhere. They were enjoying it. I was enjoying them enjoying it.

And didn't we see a map at one point that showed how clear the air became because of the lock downs? Let's have that again.

Keep people working from home, for those who do office jobs, and let nature take a damn breath.
+1000 Yep, WFH proved to be viable and now they are taking it away. I am suspicious about a rushed vaccine as I see what the agenda is: they just want butts in seats again even when they don't NEED to be there.

When I worked at home there was a date and time stamp on my computer work so they KNOW I was working too. I felt safer only coming in 2 days a week as staff was rotated and we could easily distance. Now its crowded again, employees are fighting and miserable and there are STILL vaccine breakthroughs to worry about. It's not like this "fixed" Covid permanently. Please. Nothing will. We will just have to learn to live with it.

You sound a lot like me with the animal issue. Totally agree. A few weeks ago I stopped my car in the road to get out and help a tiny disoriented spotted fawn that was in traffic. I didn't care what people thought. I must have had traffic backed up a 1/4 mile or more. LOL But you know with schools being out and so many people still working at home, people weren't in a "rush". No one yelled or cursed me and other people got out and helped too.

Last edited by motownnative; 07-26-2021 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-26-2021, 11:40 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You’re calling my observation wrong? Weird.

Where I live compliance with masks and restrictions was high. Most adults have gotten vaccinated too.

What state are you in? Maybe that is why you have a different observation.

I live in New York and cases are rising here as well and we have 75% of adults vaccinated already. And everyone that's landing in the hospital right now are the 25% who are unvaccinated. This is really disgraceful when you think about it.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:43 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I live in New York and cases are rising here as well and we have 75% of adults vaccinated already. And everyone that's landing in the hospital right now are the 25% who are unvaccinated. This is really disgraceful when you think about it.
If 75% of adults are vaccinated then you’ve proven my observation correct. Most are getting vaccinated and most followed the rules.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:45 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
People against Darth?

Seriously, you are not gonna lay any blame on the countries where the variants emerged (Of course not, it wouldn't be right). What about the asymptomatic vaxed who carry and transmit these variants to people? Remember, the person sitting next to you could very well be giving you covid, you would never know. The unvaxed laying in bed at home or in a hospital is unlikely to give it to you.

No, you have fallen for the media and governments ploy to blame your fellow man. They are very good at dividing people into warring factions.
All hail Vader! And this is how freedom is lost. With thunderous applause. Quote from star wars.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
75% of a segment of the population of a state (or city, that poster didn’t specify which). That’s not the entire US.
Does that matter really? Worldwide the vaccination rate is only 13%. I’m not sure why people care. The vaccine doesn't prevent transmission. It provides the person who gets it a lower risk of severe case.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:57 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
If there is another lockdown it will because the vaccine doesn’t work.
Can't work for the majority if only half the population gets it. There is evidence that the vaccine prevents transmission.
https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/mo...-how-does-work

At this point it doesn't matter what we here on City Data believe or don't believe about the virus and/or vaccines. If it takes hold, businesses and governments will be imposing mask mandates, vaccine requirements, etc. Savannah, GA is re-imposing it's previous mask mandate for indoors. Mayo is wanting their people vaccinated. It's just a matter of time.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:57 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't like to see children suffer or die. And stop with the "rarely", "probably" words. When it comes to your children and grandchildren that goes right out the window. And death is not the only outcome. Kids do get sick. No parent wants to see their kids hacking, with fevers, body aches. Nearly a third of them have long haul cases as well according to recent reports. Let's get them vaccinated and put this behind us.
I'm calling BS on that last sentence. Please show me where 33% of kids who get Covid have long-term side effects. I can't find a total for confirmed cases in children, but let's look at these CDC numbers.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7003e1.htm

Quote:
During March 1–December 12, 2020, a total of 2,871,828 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in children, adolescents, and young adults aged 0–24 years were reported in the United States.
One third of that number is 957,276. You're saying that nearly a million (as of December) kids in this country have long Covid? Again, show me.

Most kids reactions to Covid are low-grade fever and fatigue. Uncomfortable, but it's the same reaction they get to ear infections, strep, the flu, and any other common illness. Spare me the "suffer and die". I don't disagree that some kids have, but you (and many, many others) keep trying to push the fear while ignoring the "rarely". And I WILL keep posting that, because it's true. Severe side effects in kids with Covid is rare.

BTW, guess what the most common vaccine reaction is in kids? Low-grade fever and fatigue. Are those kids "suffering"? Or not, because somehow having those reactions to the vaccine is tolerable when the same reactions to Covid are not?

Last edited by swilliamsny; 07-26-2021 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Can't work for the majority if only half the population gets it. There is evidence that the vaccine prevents transmission.
https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/mo...-how-does-work
Your link is from May and the data coming out of the UK and Israel is showing that vaccine induced immunity wanes quickly. It’s almost gone by the six month mark.

Evidence is also showing that vaccinated can catch and spread covid. It just reduces the chance of death and hospitalization for the person who gets it. In other words, it protects the user, not anyone else. There won’t ever be herd immunity with these vaccines.

Also keep in mind that only 13% of the world’s population has been vaccinated and the fact that we have open borders so even if it did stop transmission we’d have a long way to go in terms of gaining herd immunity.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...-delta-strain/

Old 07-26-2021, 12:07 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've been advocating working from home for 21 years. So many people could be working from home, and not need to be out there cramming up the roads, running over critters, intentionally or accidentally, and spewing less filth into the air.

Lockdowns should be a dream for those who actually care about the environment, (not those who just want to make money off of pretending to care about the environment).

The empty roads made my life so much easier as I was considered 'essential'. (I got the goods to people who couldn't come out.) But my most favorite part of it all was that the wildlife was actually showing themselves in great quantity.

I told the story last year about the time I literally had to get out of my car to shoo a squirrel out of the middle of the road, and he still sat there in defiance.

Maybe I looked like an idiot arguing with a stubborn squirrel, but I loved it. I loved that I had to have that little discussion, because they were happy. They were everywhere. They were enjoying it. I was enjoying them enjoying it.

And didn't we see a map at one point that showed how clear the air became because of the lock downs? Let's have that again.

Keep people working from home, for those who do office jobs, and let nature take a damn breath.
Ya it was. They locked down all the national forests but I still had access in with one of those special keys. The hunting was fantastic.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:08 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Your link is from May and the data coming out of the UK and Israel is showing that vaccine induced immunity wanes quickly. It’s almost gone by the six month mark.

Evidence is also showing that vaccinated can catch and spread covid. It just reduces the chance of death and hospitalization for the person who gets it. In other words, it protects the user, not anyone else. There won’t ever be herd immunity with these vaccines.

Also keep in mind that only 13% of the world’s population has been vaccinated and the fact that we have open borders so even if it did stop transmission we’d have a long way to go in terms of gaining herd immunity.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...-delta-strain/
Again, doesn't matter what you or I say or think. What matters is Delta is spreading and businesses are now taking measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies