Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2021, 03:03 PM

21,532 posts, read 10,660,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Just for the record, it's not clear that she went off her drugs.

Ritalin is one of the drugs that Japan will allow in with a waiver for olympic athletes, and it's not been made clear whether she went ahead and did the waiver and brought her meds.

Adderal, the other very common ADHD med, isn't allowed even with a waiver, I believe.
Then maybe it was Adderal? Or maybe it’s not that at all and just speculation of people. But it sure makes a lot of sense of why she got the twisties. She doesn’t strike me as the type to just give up otherwise. People don’t get to that high level in sports if they are quitters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 03:09 PM

5,318 posts, read 2,129,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
So she won in Rio by doping? A real hero.
Ugh. How would it be doping? I take Adderall for my ADHD. Once in a while it gives me a big energy boost, but nothing reliable in the sense you mean or whatever you are implying. Usually it's just focus enough to actually go do things at all for once.

ADHD can be mentally debilitating, for real. It would be more leveling up to a "normal" functioning level, not something over the top. Sigh.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:11 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,768,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I wonder if an Asthmatic would be denied an inhaler because it could give then an edge?
There are sooooo many cases where X certain thing gives athletes a slight advantage and has to be banned across the board. Inhalers are often steroidal, so yes those would require due scrutiny. ADHD medications are amphetamines and a stimulant, so the ban on their use should also be pretty obvious. Not too dissimilar from saying you can't get loaded on cocaine before competition, but amphetamines have a clear practical medical use.

I still recall the period of time when Testosterone Replacement Therapy was greenlit for MMA. Suddenly, everyone in the UFC had low T and desperately needed TRT. It didn't take long for all of the MMA governing bodies to nix it and ban TRT.

As the saying goes, "Everyone must have the sickness, cuz everyone seems to need the cure." And that's why we have to ban valid users of medications.

I don't know why everyone can't just agree to be happy for MyKayla Skinner and move on? Simone Biles hardly needs more praises, glory and success showered down on her, and the move was of her own choosing.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:24 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,989,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Someone hack your account? Post 236.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/61555474-post236.html
How in the world is that related to the post that said "we're not fans of black people" or we "feel superior"?

How is that me playing the race card? I'm saying to judge people WITHOUT race in involved, however they probably won't because you guys pull the race card all the time!

Did that go over your head?

Old 07-31-2021, 04:29 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,989,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I don't think her race has much to do with it, however there is without a doubt a war against sports by the right wing, and it millennials as well.

Modern day sports has taken a turn to the liberal/progressive side when it comes to cultural and social issues and they do not like that.

Now I know nothing about gymnastics, but I always chuckle when I read posts using terms like "soft" or "participation trophies". In general today's athletes are bigger, stronger, tougher, faster and more skilled then ever before.

So they can take soft and participation trophies and shove them were the sun don't shine. And really are they still giving participation trophies to anyone other then 5 or 6 yr old's?
Most people don't like athletes pushing their politics on them. Most people like watching athletes PLAY SPORTS, not comment on social issues while we pay their salaries.

Every league's ratings are being demolished...including the current Olympics. So I doubt I'm in the minority on those sentiments.

It's not a war on sports...It's a distaste for politics rammed into sports.

Also, bigger, stronger, tougher, and faster means jack when it comes to mental toughness. Most of today's athletes are spoiled, ultra rich, and just not hungry like they used to be. Most, not all.

Don't be mad at Republicans for disagreeing with the softness that liberals are trying to impart into schools. Take your issue up with the school boards mostly run by liberals.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:04 PM

4,804 posts, read 3,328,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Most people don't like athletes pushing their politics on them. Most people like watching athletes PLAY SPORTS, not comment on social issues while we pay their salaries.

Every league's ratings are being demolished...including the current Olympics. So I doubt I'm in the minority on those sentiments.

It's not a war on sports...It's a distaste for politics rammed into sports.

Also, bigger, stronger, tougher, and faster means jack when it comes to mental toughness. Most of today's athletes are spoiled, ultra rich, and just not hungry like they used to be. Most, not all.

Don't be mad at Republicans for disagreeing with the softness that liberals are trying to impart into schools. Take your issue up with the school boards mostly run by liberals.
Mental toughness goes hand and hand with performance. Today's athletes are "better" then ever before.
And what makes you think you represent "most people"?

Now while I will agree some sports has taken the social injustice movement to far with displays on the field or court. Sports and politics has always crossed paths. When people say leave politics out of sport, what they really mean is leave politics that they do not agree with out of sports.

And no, not every leagues ratings are being demolished. NBA has seen a significant drop in ratings, while at the same time an increase in revenue, with exception of the past season due to covid and attendance. The NFL has guaranteed TV money coming in for a long time. Same with MLB, and MLB has reached record levels when it comes to streaming. The NHL which actually saw an increase in ratings just entered into new deal that triples their TV money.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:36 PM

146 posts, read 78,930 times
I'm not at all saying its impossible for her to have these problems but it was very, very odd that she just up and quit one day and that's why.
I was expecting that a huge top performer as she seemed to be would have "slid down" into quitting not just doing fine and regular and then just pop up quitting like that. That was HIGHLY weird and I think there is actually some other reason just that she isn't going to tell it.
But I don't follow her nor the Olympics so idk if she had been showing "cracks" right before then and that was it.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is hard to ignore the idea that something is going on here. When you think about her life she has trained and groomed for this moment from an early age. In a way competing is all she knows and with her dedication and skill she has become a household name, a champion and some say the GOAT of Women't gymnastics. The GOAT label is now in contention. You think about another GOAT, Tom Brady and it turns out he played the last season and won the SuperBowl with a torn up knee.

I'd rather not think that this is some type of protest stunt. She does not seem like the type to take a knee and protest the country that has given her everything. She is smarter than that.

Maybe she has the Covid?

I think Biles injured herself and she would rather bow out then try and compete knowing that she would not be able to give us her best. What a terrible blow to the team.

I too believe its is something else going on here. It is very, very weird for a top athlete to get to the very pinnacle like this and just stop. Something else is at play, imo and she's using this 'illness; as a guise. But that is just my opinion.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Did you watch her do her thing the day before? I did. She made lots of mistakes. Mistakes that brought her scores down, and therefore, brought the team scores down. She has a very expressive face. You could see that it was eating her up.

I like Simone. IMO, she's a sweetheart.
Okay your post answers a question I had.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:07 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,709,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
How in the world is that related to the post that said "we're not fans of black people" or we "feel superior"?

How is that me playing the race card? I'm saying to judge people WITHOUT race in involved, however they probably won't because you guys pull the race card all the time!

Did that go over your head?
LMAO!!! YOU brought up race and then accused someone else of playing the race card.

Your response wasn't that you ARE a fan of black folks or that you don't feel superior to black folks - it had to do with finger-pointing over playing the race card.

You dealt that card first. Did that go over your head?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies