Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2021, 07:52 AM

24,042 posts, read 15,154,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Agreed. I'm going with my initial thought of what is really going on. Just my opinion of what is going on, but I think she was threatened by someone with alot of power. It's why she left the Olympic village and went into a private hotel, I'm sure the silence for the 72 Olympics didn't help matters. Let's just say, the CCP is hungry to become the best in the world, and while their chances of medaling in gymnastics is slim, with Biles out, they can reduce the chance of USA beating them in Gold medal tallies. The US is in another cold war, but this time it's with the CCP. And while they won't duke it out in war, the Olympics is the next best thing.

But it could be she is choking because of all the trauma of her past building up and she just can't handle it anymore.
Can she stay in the Olympic village if she is not a competitor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 08:50 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Back during the A's championship run in the early 70s, there was a lot more close player interaction with the fans. You could go to an event and hear players talk about jobs they had in the off season.

I remember around that time bleacher seats were 75 cents, and good first deck tickets were about $7.
It seems that actually physically attending professional sports has been overtaken by the new money wealthy elite. Who else can afford to pay several thousand dollars for season tickets for the Bears?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-nfl-by-team/

The trouble with the whole Simone Biles story is that it got politicized in the first place, and for better or for worse, it was politicized by Biles herself. She became a BLM activist. That drew a clear line in the sand. If you support BLM then you're likely to defend absolutely anything Biles does or says no matter what. Even the most pathetic cowardice or weakness will be made out to be as heroic and triumphant. If you oppose BLM then you will have nothing good and plenty of bad to say about Simone Biles, and you'll likely mock and celebrate her dropping out.

The IOC just needs to re-impose the rule they've been holding to since forever: A complete ban on political messaging throughout the Olympics. It may or may not be urban myth, but it speaks an important truth: As Michael Jordan said, "Republicans buy shoes too." Get the politics out of sports. That ball you're kicking, throwing, swatting, etc. does not give two craps about your politics.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:58 AM

5,594 posts, read 2,323,439 times
MyKayla Skinner replaced Biles for vault finals and won silver. Skinner was hospitalized for Covid pneumonia in Jan 2021 and lost a month of training due to weakness, difficulty breathing. She had to get tested for myocarditis before returning to training because Covid can cause myocarditis .

A healthy young athlete got bad Covid. Her training was interrupted for a full month due to Covid. Congrats to her for winning a silver medal. She's 24 and finished 3 years of college and is expected to complete her senior year of college at Utah soon. Wonder how many endorsements she'll get. Probably not many since silver and not gold, but she'll get some endorsements. If Biles stayed in the vault finals, Skinner wouldn't have been able to compete in that event due to each country being allowed max 2 participants.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...is-super-weak/

Old 08-01-2021, 11:40 AM

6,382 posts, read 2,930,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Ugh. How would it be doping? I take Adderall for my ADHD. Once in a while it gives me a big energy boost, but nothing reliable in the sense you mean or whatever you are implying. Usually it's just focus enough to actually go do things at all for once.

ADHD can be mentally debilitating, for real. It would be more leveling up to a "normal" functioning level, not something over the top. Sigh.
If it's banned it's banned for a reason. Remember the bobsledder who was banned for Propecia?
U.S. Slider Zach Lund Banned From Games
https://apnews.com/article/51034b33f...ab8af12e5982c0

Old 08-01-2021, 01:23 PM

5,316 posts, read 2,121,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
If it's banned it's banned for a reason. Remember the bobsledder who was banned for Propecia?
I was thinking of her individually, that it doesn't do the extra magical things for people who do have ADHD. It just helps get more towards "normal". But yeah, I'm sure it's banned because of the hosers who don't need it and misuse it. It's why it's a huge pain to get your meds each month. Sigh.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:38 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,749,658 times
I called it.

You just know it's eating away at her that she's a quitter (and that's on her and no one else including us 'haters'). Why else did she feel a need to update her social media account saying she's not a quitter and blaming it on "twisties."

That's why the smart bet is that she will make a dramatic last minute decision to compete Tuesday in her last opportunity to compete in something. Or should I say, dramatic last minute decision not to withdraw and show up in the stadium to compete.

Plus this would be a huge ratings bonanza for NBC whose ratings have been in the dumps. If you thought Simone was overexposed before, wait until she competes. Nonstop human interest story and the dramatic setup to her triumphant comeback, to the adulation and gushing of her supporters around the world.

Will Simone Biles compete in final gymnastics event of Olympics? MyKayla Skinner says yes

Old 08-01-2021, 01:40 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,788,645 times
I could care less. Let's MOVE ON to important matters.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:23 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,969,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I could care less. Let's MOVE ON to important matters.

It's "I COULDN'T care less." And you clearly do, or you wouldn't be posting here.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 24 days ago)

35,728 posts, read 18,073,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Adderal is banned in Japan in general, apparently as a dangerous drug.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:52 PM

43,325 posts, read 18,440,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Adderal is banned in Japan in general, apparently as a dangerous drug.
Because it is when not used as prescribed. Japan may have banned it because of abuse and addiction problems.

https://www.webmd.com/drug-medicatio...ddiction-signs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies