Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2021, 08:32 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Really all sports, but yes football and hockey are the most physical. I will tell you this; most NHL players would win a fist fight against most NFL players. NFL players are bigger but the NHL guys do get some training in combat sports as fighting is still part of the game even though much less now.
I've watched football up close and personal. I don't think I would want to take those hits. I'm built for running, not taking a hit from a 300 lb juggernaut. I expect hockey to be rough as well. That is a violent sport all its own. They let people fight in hockey.

I've been more of a baseball person. And soccer to a smaller extent. Some roughness could happen, but not like the NFL or NHL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 09:24 PM

1,964 posts, read 707,994 times
Quote:
It's growing among minorities slow but surely. It starts by getting the kids from those neighborhood interested in playing the game. The NHL provides money for them to do so. They get equipment, ice time and coaching all bought and paid for by the NHL. MLB does the same through their Urban Youth Academy's.
The survival of both those sports is contingent on bringing minorities into the fold. You do realize in the not to distant future whites will make up less then half the population?

As far as the NHL and social injustice, just like the other leagues, their black players were sensitive to it and the white players always back their black brothers. The league is still very much aware and have 6 different diversity and inclusion councils taking up the issue.
Stop that nonsense, your black and NHL talk is driving people away. I am Canadian and I am sick of this.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:07 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,531,104 times
Quote:
Toughness and mental attitude goes hand and hand with performance, as well as the other things I mentioned. Todays athletes are better then in the past.
Both sentences are true. And neither prove your claim.

Old 08-01-2021, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Nope. Read and learn. I said my piece about that here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/61576323-post617.html
Lol, retweeting a photo with her head photoshopped into a team she should have been selected in, and then apologising for it. How dreadful! You aren't suggesting that the see no evil emoji used by her Father was her suggesting her team mate was a monkey are you? Biles has no problem with her, I'll trust her judgement on whether she is racist or not over yours.

No the issue for you is that she is an outspoken Arizona Republican.

But thank goodness she represented tonight on the Vault. She got the USA on the podium!

Old 08-01-2021, 05:10 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,718,437 times
Biles withdrew from the floor exercise, she has yet to make a decision for Tuesday's balance beam. Will she just withdraw already instead of dragging this out? Or is this a setup for a dramatic 'comeback' and 'inspirational' performance on Tuesday?

Old 08-01-2021, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Biles withdrew from the floor exercise, she has yet to make a decision for Tuesday's balance beam. Will she just withdraw already instead of dragging this out? Or is this a setup for a dramatic 'comeback' and 'inspirational' performance on Tuesday?
The twisties could go away man. Just in time.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:13 AM

10,507 posts, read 4,068,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnieLewis View Post
We shouldn't mock her. We don't know what's in her head. I haven't really been following more than the headlines of this story, but I agree the resulting adoration of her decision just seems out of place. In another era, they'd just be saying she choked. Whatever. It's too bad she dropped out, but it's become way too huge of a story.
Agreed. I'm going with my initial thought of what is really going on. Just my opinion of what is going on, but I think she was threatened by someone with alot of power. It's why she left the Olympic village and went into a private hotel, I'm sure the silence for the 72 Olympics didn't help matters. Let's just say, the CCP is hungry to become the best in the world, and while their chances of medaling in gymnastics is slim, with Biles out, they can reduce the chance of USA beating them in Gold medal tallies. The US is in another cold war, but this time it's with the CCP. And while they won't duke it out in war, the Olympics is the next best thing.

But it could be she is choking because of all the trauma of her past building up and she just can't handle it anymore.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 17 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,034,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Yeah right. The NFL is a shell of its former self. All the rules to protect everyone you can barely touch anyone now.

They reduced the amount of pads practices allowed, and changed all sorts of other things to soften things up.

That's just football.

Pitchers: They used to actually pitch complete games. Now that's as rare as hen's teeth.

Boxers: Do we even have any anymore? They used to fight 25 times per year! Bare handed!

Hockey: If you touch someone around the neck or head now you're out. Fighting is almost non-existent.

Pro athletes before used to have off season jobs just to make ends meet because they didn't even make enough in their sport!

You're not thinking properly if you think athletes today are tougher than yesteryear. They HAD to be!
What's coming out LOUD AND CLEAR, is you're angry that once you had a rich variety of sporting venues where you could expect to sit back and enjoy watching someone get seriously injured, and that's now drying up.

Geez louise. You know why pitchers don't pitch a full game? Because that injures their arms, and they are only good for a couple years of that before the team has to retire to them to a lifetime of pain. That's why.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:30 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,748,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What's coming out LOUD AND CLEAR, is you're angry that once you had a rich variety of sporting venues where you could expect to sit back and enjoy watching someone get seriously injured, and that's now drying up.

Geez louise. You know why pitchers don't pitch a full game? Because that injures their arms, and they are only good for a couple years of that before the team has to retire to them to a lifetime of pain. That's why.
Fair points about injuries, but not about sports fans. Sports has long been a venue for the average working class going back to Rome, Persia, Egypt and probably Sumeria. It has never been a mob of the ultra-rich that made professional sports a thing. It was always the support of the common folk.

Before you could make a serious living at it, professional sports was just a bunch of working class Americans competing and beating the crap out of a bunch of other working class Americans and making a few extra bucks for it. Rich society generally viewed it as filthy and beneath them.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:41 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,585,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Fair points about injuries, but not about sports fans. Sports has long been a venue for the average working class going back to Rome, Persia, Egypt and probably Sumeria. It has never been a mob of the ultra-rich that made professional sports a thing. It was always the support of the common folk.

Before you could make a serious living at it, professional sports was just a bunch of working class Americans competing and beating the crap out of a bunch of other working class Americans and making a few extra bucks for it. Rich society generally viewed it as filthy and beneath them.
Back during the A's championship run in the early 70s, there was a lot more close player interaction with the fans. You could go to an event and hear players talk about jobs they had in the off season.

I remember around that time bleacher seats were 75 cents, and good first deck tickets were about $7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies