Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 08:20 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

Landlord, Air Force vet homeless after tenants stop paying rent during eviction ban

Quote:
A landlord in upstate New York is living out of a car with her daughter after being unable to collect rent from tenants in three properties she owns due to eviction moratoriums.

"I don't understand how they can give my private property to somebody to live for free. I bought that property. I fixed it up with my blood, sweat and tears," Brandie LaCasse, a single mother and Air Force veteran, told CBS News.

Now, LaCasse is living out of a car with her daughter, as well as staying with friends when she is able.

LaCasse said she missed out on receiving $23,000 in rent over nearly a year because of federal and state eviction moratoriums that were put in place due to the pandemic. She explained to the outlet that she told the tenants they had to move out so she could move in, but they instead stopped paying rent, yet remained in the homes.

"I've cried many nights, like thinking, 'Where's my money?'" she said.

One of LaCasse’s tenants, Carla McArthur, said she’s unable to pay rent due to childcare costs and her family suffering from the virus during the pandemic.

"I feel bad that I have not been able to pay her," McArthur said. "We've gone from two incomes. I had COVID-19 twice. My kids all have had it once. My husband's had it once. We've been affected by the virus."

McArthur, however, was approved for rent relief in New York, while LaCasse has still not received any funds.
That's not the landlord's problem, what did she do with her stimulus checks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 10:04 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Thank goodness there is some sanity left in the US. It is a shame that it took the Supreme Court to stop the ridiculous government overreach of private property rights and legal contracts.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:52 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Thank goodness there is some sanity left in the US. It is a shame that it took the Supreme Court to stop the ridiculous government overreach of private property rights and legal contracts.
ha --- put your masks on; put your gloves on; go to work. That would have been sanity. What we got was told to go home you can not earn a living to put food on your table, people are dying. You're damn straight their dying.

The government doesn't fix problems, they cause 'em. What you see here is the end result.

People should have kept working; business stayed in business --- then this would not have happened in the first place for people to be complaining about other people over. Sanity left in the u.s.? Not that I've seen, not one bit of it left. When the government can get you to turn on each other --- that's just wrong.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Landlord, Air Force vet homeless after tenants stop paying rent during eviction ban

That's not the landlord's problem, what did she do with her stimulus checks?
"LaCasse said she missed out on receiving $23,000 in rent over nearly a year because of federal and state eviction moratoriums that were put in place due to the pandemic."

On three properties, what's wrong with that picture? It's missing a zero or three.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:56 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's cute that you think it actually will work out like that. A judgment against a deadbeat is a worthless piece of paper.

Guess what? The tenant won't be renting anywhere with unpaid rent in their history, program or no program. Landlords use more than just civil judgments on credit reports in evaluating applications.
Maybe this is why Biden is trying to eliminate credit scores.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:30 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
"LaCasse said she missed out on receiving $23,000 in rent over nearly a year because of federal and state eviction moratoriums that were put in place due to the pandemic."

On three properties, what's wrong with that picture? It's missing a zero or three.
Comes out to roughly $650 a month per property. Depending on the area, that's within reason.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Comes out to roughly $650 a month per property. Depending on the area, that's within reason.
ty --- I thought about it after I posted that. Unit=1, house. I was thinking unit=1, complex.

650x12=7,800.00
7,800x12=93,600.00

Old 08-27-2021, 12:35 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
ty --- I thought about it after I posted that. Unit=1, house. I was thinking unit=1, complex.
All good, I did the same at first before I gave it some thought.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
All good, I did the same at first before I gave it some thought.
what am i missing though ... ?
650x12=7,800.00
7,800x3=23,400
never mind --- lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies