Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2021, 06:44 PM

13,731 posts, read 9,069,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Indeed, and as I've repeatedly said upthread, I can't figure it out. al-Qaeda threat remains. Biden said last Oct. 2019 he would keep a small force in Afghanistan similar to Iraq - why so hellbent on a pullout is the question? What changed his mind?

Did he, b/c of Doha, believe there was already so much erosion to Afghan govt and military, it couldn't be reversed? I doubt that, b/c his own military told him not to consider a withdrawal until year-end, if then. Military has always been opposed to leaving Afghanistan.

Withdrawal is monumental policy disaster for the US and the world, making everyone less safe. I was talking to a few Biden voters yesterday who agree with this assessment and universally say with his experience he has no excuse for not understanding the issues, we should have stayed in Afghanistan, and that 20 years is now down the drain.

He should have torn up Trump's Doha agreement. The consequences of not reversing Trump policy are on Biden.
How long should we have stayed? With how many soldiers?

Why was it 'good' for Mr. Trump to negotiate a 'deal' with the Taliban? Aren't they terrorists?

Was Mr. Trump's 'deal' with the Taliban to release 5,000 Taliban prisoners 'good'?

What strategic importance it Afghanistan to US foreign policy?

My thoughts: I agree there is not a 'good way' to leave a war zone. It is messy. I am old enough to recall our departure from Vietnam in 1975.

Yet, Mr. Trump recognized the Taliban by negotiating with them in the first place. Indeed, Mr. Trump, as President, met with the leader of North Korea, giving him legitimacy.

I am also old enough to recall when President Trump abandoned our Kurdish allies in Syria. Remember that?

While there may be a basis to go at President Biden for our withdrawal (which I do not agree with, since we thought the 300,000 Afghan army would hold, at least for a week), we must not ignore past happenings, if we seek to play the political card.

Biden is the President, so he is ultimately responsible. Yet, he was hamstrung, to an extent, by the cards dealt him.

If Mr. Trump were still President: nothing but how Mr. Trump was not responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 06:44 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,714,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Indeed, and as I've repeatedly said upthread, I can't figure it out. al-Qaeda threat remains. Biden said last Oct. 2019 he would keep a small force in Afghanistan similar to Iraq - why so hellbent on a pullout is the question? What changed his mind?

Did he, b/c of Doha, believe there was already so much erosion to Afghan govt and military, it couldn't be reversed? I doubt that, b/c his own military told him not to consider a withdrawal until year-end, if then. Military has always been opposed to leaving Afghanistan.

Withdrawal is monumental policy disaster for the US and the world, making everyone less safe. I was talking to a few Biden voters yesterday who agree with this assessment and universally say with his experience he has no excuse for not understanding the issues, we should have stayed in Afghanistan, and that 20 years is now down the drain.

He should have torn up Trump's Doha agreement. The consequences of not reversing Trump policy are on Biden.
You don't think it's possible he did this to make his Chinese friends happy?

Old 08-27-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
How long should we have stayed? With how many soldiers?

Why was it 'good' for Mr. Trump to negotiate a 'deal' with the Taliban? Aren't they terrorists?

Was Mr. Trump's 'deal' with the Taliban to release 5,000 Taliban prisoners 'good'?

What strategic importance it Afghanistan to US foreign policy?

My thoughts: I agree there is not a 'good way' to leave a war zone. It is messy. I am old enough to recall our departure from Vietnam in 1975.

Yet, Mr. Trump recognized the Taliban by negotiating with them in the first place. Indeed, Mr. Trump, as President, met with the leader of North Korea, giving him legitimacy.

I am also old enough to recall when President Trump abandoned our Kurdish allies in Syria. Remember that?

While there may be a basis to go at President Biden for our withdrawal (which I do not agree with, since we thought the 300,000 Afghan army would hold, at least for a week), we must not ignore past happenings, if we seek to play the political card.

Biden is the President, so he is ultimately responsible. Yet, he was hamstrung, to an extent, by the cards dealt him.

If Mr. Trump were still President: nothing but how Mr. Trump was not responsible.

You don't think other administrations didn't negotiate with terrorists? They did. The only thing that was unusual in the Trump administration was that he personally did it.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:53 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 14 days ago)

36,026 posts, read 18,300,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The president is a civilian. He can't be court martialed.
thank you

Old 08-27-2021, 06:57 PM

29,551 posts, read 22,894,120 times
Names released of deceased so far, all so young....
  • Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Rylee McCollum, 20, Jackson, Wyo.
  • Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Jared Schmitz, 20, of Wentzville, Mo.
  • Marine Corps Lance Cpl. David Espinoza, 20, of Rio Bravo, Tex.
  • Navy Hospital Corpsman Max Soviak, of Berlin Heights, Ohio
  • Marine Corps Cpl. Hunter Lopez, 22, of Riverside County, Calif.
  • Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Kareem Nikoui, 20, of Norco, Calif.
  • Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Taylor Hoover, 31, of Utah
  • Marine Corps Cpl. Daegan William-Tyeler Page, 23, of Omaha

Old 08-27-2021, 06:58 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,577,592 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc8eoeURBXc

Old 08-27-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Names released of deceased so far, all so young....
  • Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Rylee McCollum, 20, Jackson, Wyo.
  • Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Jared Schmitz, 20, of Wentzville, Mo.
  • Marine Corps Lance Cpl. David Espinoza, 20, of Rio Bravo, Tex.
  • Navy Hospital Corpsman Max Soviak, of Berlin Heights, Ohio
  • Marine Corps Cpl. Hunter Lopez, 22, of Riverside County, Calif.
  • Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Kareem Nikoui, 20, of Norco, Calif.
  • Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Taylor Hoover, 31, of Utah
  • Marine Corps Cpl. Daegan William-Tyeler Page, 23, of Omaha
One of the younger men has a baby on the way.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:59 PM

7,196 posts, read 4,793,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
A military retired colonel has stated that Biden should face a court martial.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=400123981478853

Forget resigning, or impeachment.
I have been saying this since this terrible Afghanistan debacle came to light.
The only difference I see in our thoughts about a court martial is I believe if found guilty, Biden should be sentenced to death, whereas the colonel feels he should be stripped of his presidency and command.
That just isn't enough for what this incompetent fool has done, not only to the country, but the world.
Taiwan, and the Ukraine are now extremely vulnerable, as is Israel.
This fools policies have far more reaching consequences than Afghanistan.
Yeah, that retired colonel is just someone who didn’t get promoted to general. That ought to tell you something.

I’m not going to miss a single one of those Afghanis. Are you going to take some into your home?

They folded when they had to fight for their country. We owe them nothing.

They could have gotten out earlier during Trump’s administration but Stephen Miller didn’t want them in the US. He made it very difficult to process visas for them.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:02 PM

4,967 posts, read 2,266,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Dream on.
It would be a dream come true that the last two decades of feckless, war-mongering presidents and congressmen were held accountable for their actions and inactions.

I hope more and more military personal turn on the traitors that were so willing to sacrifice the lives of the armed forces to war while weak-ass politicians got rich playing political footsie.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:04 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,408,472 times
Bob, I know you're in your 80s, but the next 3 years might put you in a grave, for your own health and well-being maybe take a break from social media and the news and get out there and enjoy what time you still have left on this 3rd rock from the sun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies