Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 03:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
No. At the time of their emergency approval, they were said to be ~95% effective. That means 5% will still get it, given the main variants circulating during the testing period.

At the time of your vaccination, it probably still is that efficacious. Unfortunately they have since discovered that your antibody count slowly declines over time; the effectiveness decreases by a few percent per month. However, your body is still protected by the B and T memory cells.

Where did you get the notion that this means 5% would still get it? It doesn't mean that at all.

Nobody ever said that either. If you have a link, please provide it.

They obviously should have done a better job explaining since some of you were confused by what this meant, but I thought it was self-explanatory when they added you could get it, but it won't be as severe or deadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 04:02 PM

15,540 posts, read 10,527,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I thought I had heard that early in but not finding the reports on it.
Nope, when I got my Pfizer shot they told me 5% could still get it.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:03 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,028,935 times
Quote:
No.

Just stupid people said that.

Officials never did.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:22 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,388,191 times
Funny, I'm watching a tennis tournament right now in Washington, D.C. and I see very few people in the stands wearing masks. What's up with that?

Old 08-08-2021, 04:25 PM

7,243 posts, read 4,563,189 times
Quote:
I believe our President said that last week in another 'episode" that his handlers had to walk back.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:25 PM

30,086 posts, read 18,701,618 times
Quote:
That is NEVER true of any illness and vaccine.

A vaccine creates your own antibodies against antigens (parts of a virus) and thus confers immunity. It does not prevent you from being exposed to the illness, nor spreading it. It DOES allow your own antibodies (created by the vaccine) to fight the virus and thus reduce the severity and duration of the disease.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:50 PM

3,352 posts, read 1,242,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Okay, how do they work then?

Tell me that a smallpox vaccine does not protect the person being vaccinated with nearly a hundred percent probability from getting smallpox. Sorry, I'm not going to let you redefine what a vaccine is supposed to do. I know what it is supposed to do. I learned what it was supposed to do in grade school. Evidently you folks did not.

Somehow you folks have gotten it into your brain that a vaccine magically protects everyone else besides the person getting it. Well, in this case, it looks as if the vaccine isn't protecting much of anyone with any degree of effectiveness.
this simply isn't true.
smallpox was worse than covid to start with and smallpox has been eradicated so it's fair to say that vaccine is better than this one. but the covid vaccine clearly works very well against severe infection.look at hospitalization rates from covid. that doesn't mean it's perfect, that doesn't mean everyone should take it and it doesn't mean we know how long immunity last or long term effects from it.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:54 PM

10,506 posts, read 4,066,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
No one that matters ever said that.

What the CDC said was that the best vaccines, the mRNA ones, were 95% effective. That means 5% could still get it.
And before the vaccine even existed, that was roughly the number people were getting the virus, and maybe even less, so what's the point of getting the vaccine to begin with when you have a much stronger chance at not getting the virus if you just let your own immune system kick in and work?

Old 08-08-2021, 04:54 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,993,744 times
No.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:56 PM

3,284 posts, read 1,762,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
No one that matters ever said that.

What the CDC said was that the best vaccines, the mRNA ones, were 95% effective. That means 5% could still get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Because anyone with a small amount of knowledge knows the vaccines are not 100%. Its been said about a million times since day one.
All of that was said before the Delta variant showed up. At least the vaccines reduce the severity if you're infected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies