Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 09:20 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Serious question.

The debt is so colossal that most people literally aren't capable of understanding just how big a number that is.

The government seems to think that it can just print whatever money it wants to spend, with no real plan to get any of it back.

Everyone (with power/authority) is behaving as though all that money printing won't affect anything. Those who are voicing concerns about the result of that xeroxing are summarily dismissed as conspiracy theorists or crazy or whatever.

If printing money doesn't harm the economy, and they can just print whatever they need, why are we paying anything at all in taxes? Why aren't we keeping our money to use as we see fit?

Think of it as a logic puzzle. Let us know what you figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 09:23 AM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
We can stop paying taxes. But that means the government has to print even more money.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:27 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
We can stop paying taxes. But that means the government has to print even more money.
Sure, but the argument is that they can do that at will, with no negative repercussions. I'm not saying that *I* believe that, but that's the general argument made when we start talking about inflation. I'm trying to understand it from the point of view of the people arguing for more money printing.

From that point of view, there's no reason for anyone to pay anything in taxes, at all. If the feds need money, they can just print it. If the states or localities need money, they can requisition newly minted cash from the feds as needed.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:31 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
To bankrupt the country and get the world off the dollar is the goal !!! Then when democrats get in bed with the Chinees Communist Party they will say we had to do it or get our feet bound !!!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:33 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
The problem is that fewer are paying in and more are taking out. That formula doesn't work for anything unless you are bailing out a leaky boat that is sinking.

I recently heard that to pay off the debt every single person in the US would have to pay $220,000. I don't know if this included the 22 million illegal aliens paying their share but who has $220,000 to hand the IRS?

The problem is DC and it has been for years. If we ran our households like they run the country we would very quickly be living in a van down by the river.

I'll never forget how Hillary Clinton boasted that they cut the aide to Pakistan by 1/3 and saved us over $800 Million Dollars. Why are we giving that kind of money to any foreign country when we have so many homeless and people living on the edge here in the states with thousands more coming in everyday?

It is insane.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:33 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,039,932 times
I've been thinking it's time to start talking about a tax revolt.

We must be able withdraw our consent for how the government has been spending OUR hard earned money.

A tax revolt should be protected under the First Amendment as a peaceful way to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:36 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
~50% pay no net federal income taxes, an its growing.

For the other 50%, taxes are used as a form of behavior modification...aka control.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:37 AM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Sure, but the argument is that they can do that at will, with no negative repercussions. I'm not saying that *I* believe that, but that's the general argument made when we start talking about inflation. I'm trying to understand it from the point of view of the people arguing for more money printing.

From that point of view, there's no reason for anyone to pay anything in taxes, at all. If the feds need money, they can just print it. If the states or localities need money, they can requisition newly minted cash from the feds as needed.
The repercussions will hit us like a ton of bricks sometime in the future.

It's more like a slow motion suicide.
All empires fall. Rome became a big welfare state and that was the cause of it's demise.

We're not there yet but we certainly are on that road.
As an example: We've eliminated asset checks on some government programs and only go by income.
That is how many, many more people can qualify for government financial assistance when they really shouldn't.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:37 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post

We must be able withdraw our consent for how the government has been spending OUR hard earned money.

A tax revolt should be protected under the First Amendment as a peaceful way to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
How about just dissolving the United State and starting a NEW country? The debts of the United States would be written off.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:40 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post

The petition would get the required signatures and then some. But would the government stop? No, just take out more taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies