Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 07:09 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The documentary is old, but good, the one hour one is more detail.

I.O.U.S.A.: Byte-Sized - The 30 Minute Version

If you don't pay your taxes they will throw your butt in jail, that's why we pay them.

PS: I wondered if they ever did an updated version, guess not. It would probably give people a greater heart attack if they did.

I.O.U.S.A. Movie Summary, Review and Background Information
Another good reason!

I pay way less Federal taxes today than, 5, 10 and even 40 years ago.
Looking at the good side, when you are paying lots of Federal taxes, you are making lots of money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 07:20 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
We can stop paying taxes. But that means the government has to print even more money.

So?

What's a little more on a pile of trillions?

Theoretical trillions at that.

The truth is that money as we now know it, has no actual intrinsic value.

A dollar, whether paper or a digital representation of a dollar, is only worth anything at all because we say it is.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:00 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I don’t know any mainstream economists who think that printing money is a good way to raise government revenue. Maybe in the short term to combat deflation (like in late 2008 and early 2020), but not in normal times.

Economists are part of the problem.

They suffer under the same delusion that money has some sort of intrinsic value other than what we assign to it.

Debt of theoretical money is only theoretically debt.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:08 AM

362 posts, read 143,941 times
We're paying taxes because we live in a country full of greedy and corrupt politicians. I don't think we should be paying as much taxes and for every single thing.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:18 AM

362 posts, read 143,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan10 View Post
i've been thinking it's time to start talking about a tax revolt.

We must be able withdraw our consent for how the government has been spending our hard earned money.

A tax revolt should be protected under the first amendment as a peaceful way to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

yes !!!

Old 08-05-2021, 08:29 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
How about just dissolving the United State and starting a NEW country? The debts of the United States would be written off.
Good idea. Trump did it 6 times and look where he is now. Still gets plenty to eat.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:20 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
The documentary is old, but good, the one hour one is more detail.

I.O.U.S.A.: Byte-Sized - The 30 Minute Version

If you don't pay your taxes they will throw your butt in jail, that's why we pay them.

PS: I wondered if they ever did an updated version, guess not. It would probably give people a greater heart attack if they did.

I.O.U.S.A. Movie Summary, Review and Background Information
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Another good reason!

I pay way less Federal taxes today than, 5, 10 and even 40 years ago.
Looking at the good side, when you are paying lots of Federal taxes, you are making lots of money!
16th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution: Federal Income Tax (1913)

"In 1909 progressives in Congress again attached a provision for an income tax to a tariff bill. Conservatives, hoping to kill the idea for good, proposed a constitutional amendment enacting such a tax; they believed an amendment would never received ratification by three-fourths of the states. Much to their surprise, the amendment was ratified by one state legislature after another, and on February 25, 1913, with the certification by Secretary of State Philander C. Knox, the 16th amendment took effect. Yet in 1913, due to generous exemptions and deductions, less than 1 percent of the population paid income taxes at the rate of only 1 percent of net income." (my bold)

Still believe you're looking good? Imagine what your purchase power would be, if they didn't take out taxes. Imagine what your purchase power would be if they had stayed at the percent promised in 1913 --- 1 percent.

And this isn't about you the citizen, it's about why the u.s. is do deeply in debt with all the tax garnishment of wages going on and the belief by some that the u.s. can just print more money.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:26 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Serious question.

The debt is so colossal that most people literally aren't capable of understanding just how big a number that is.

The government seems to think that it can just print whatever money it wants to spend, with no real plan to get any of it back.

Everyone (with power/authority) is behaving as though all that money printing won't affect anything. Those who are voicing concerns about the result of that xeroxing are summarily dismissed as conspiracy theorists or crazy or whatever.

If printing money doesn't harm the economy, and they can just print whatever they need, why are we paying anything at all in taxes? Why aren't we keeping our money to use as we see fit?

Think of it as a logic puzzle. Let us know what you figure out.
They are using the WE THE PEOPLES CREDIT CARD like out of control hooked spenders .. it is not their money.. It is ours.

During the Obama years they wasted biillions of not trillions of green energy. Wasted. And there are so many areas that truly need the money.

Many hard working Americans are now struggling trying to rent to put a roof over their head and have to buy food and gas. These are necessities that we all need. The working class poor are those that are being hit the hardest with Biden in office.

They too have to pay taxes and of course the elitists think they are for the poor. They are NOT! They are all hypocrites pushing electric cars..they are so expensive and we already have big problems supplying electric during hot and cold seasons. Democrats have no sense . Never did.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:30 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why are we paying taxes?
You've got me. Especially considering that taxes at the federal level are being used to enslave the citizens, support the non-citizen criminals entering the country, and strengthen the authoritarian collectivist left.

We are paying for the rope that will hang us.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:46 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
16th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution: Federal Income Tax (1913)

"In 1909 progressives in Congress again attached a provision for an income tax to a tariff bill. Conservatives, hoping to kill the idea for good, proposed a constitutional amendment enacting such a tax; they believed an amendment would never received ratification by three-fourths of the states. Much to their surprise, the amendment was ratified by one state legislature after another, and on February 25, 1913, with the certification by Secretary of State Philander C. Knox, the 16th amendment took effect. Yet in 1913, due to generous exemptions and deductions, less than 1 percent of the population paid income taxes at the rate of only 1 percent of net income." (my bold)

Still believe you're looking good? Imagine what your purchase power would be, if they didn't take out taxes. Imagine what your purchase power would be if they had stayed at the percent promised in 1913 --- 1 percent.

And this isn't about you the citizen, it's about why the u.s. is do deeply in debt with all the tax garnishment of wages going on and the belief by some that the u.s. can just print more money.
You don't need to post this for me. At least I know that gov't not only doesn't need my dollars to operate, they never intend to pay off their debt. Same as all modern and successful countries. it's fiat, man!

In my life I've stayed ahead of inflation through investing, and now retired. So now gov't sends me an unneeded check every month, and then turns around and takes taxes out of that. Why don't they save computer time and ink and just send me a smaller monthly check?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies