Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 08:59 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times

Advertisements

In Texas, specifically Austin and Dallas, requirements have been in place mandating a 10 minute water break every four hours for construction workers. Republican lawmakers are now pushing to eliminate those protections, which would allow construction workers to work in 100+ degree heat without as much as water breaks.

a survey found that many construction workers were not receiving either, even though temperatures in Austin have reached as high as 112 degrees F. The campaign was a success — that year, the city council passed an ordinance mandating that construction workers get a 10-minute water break every four hours. In 2015, Dallas adopted a similar requirement

Republican lawmakers in Texas are pushing a bill that would eliminate these minimal protections that help workers survive on very hot days, which are increasing in number and severity with climate change.

Source Here

Old 08-24-2021, 09:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
In Texas, specifically Austin and Dallas, requirements have been in place mandating a 10 minute water break every four hours for construction workers. Republican lawmakers are now pushing to eliminate those protections, which would allow construction workers to work in 100+ degree heat without as much as water breaks.

a survey found that many construction workers were not receiving either, even though temperatures in Austin have reached as high as 112 degrees F. The campaign was a success — that year, the city council passed an ordinance mandating that construction workers get a 10-minute water break every four hours. In 2015, Dallas adopted a similar requirement

Republican lawmakers in Texas are pushing a bill that would eliminate these minimal protections that help workers survive on very hot days, which are increasing in number and severity with climate change.

Source Here

Seems like a ridiculous attempt to change a sensible regulation.

It has nothing to do with climate change, the heat index in Austin is in the 100-110 range all summer long which is insane to be outside working in. Why woke types have to interject social justice/climate change buzzwords into everything...seriously can Gen Z not absorb any news of consequence unless it mentions, race, climate change, or trans issues?

Old 08-24-2021, 09:07 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
We have state and federal laws that protect workers and ensure proper rest periods. All the State of Texas is attempting here is to prevent cities from gaining the power to supersede existing state and federal employment laws with their own regulations. Cities should not have the freedom to dictate employment law for private employers.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:12 AM

27,658 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
We have state and federal laws that protect workers and ensure proper rest periods. All the State of Texas is attempting here is to prevent cities from gaining the power to supersede existing state and federal employment laws with their own regulations. Cities should not have the freedom to dictate employment law for private employers.
Thank you for clearing up the deception.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:21 AM

7,383 posts, read 3,539,248 times
I want to see a list of the companies that refuse water breaks for the workers

Old 08-24-2021, 09:26 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Why not?

Old 08-24-2021, 09:27 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
My husband was an outside worker and the first order of the day was to fill a huge insulated container full of ice and water before he went to work. No job ever stopped him from taking a drink when needed.

While I agree a 10 minutes break every 4 hours is entirely reasonable, requiring employers to provide water seems a bit much. What is stopping these workers from bringing their own?

Old 08-24-2021, 09:28 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Why not?
Because cities do not have a higher authority than the state in which they are located and the nation in which they exist. Thems the rules.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:29 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemackey View Post
I guarantee you employers give construction workers more breaks and water breaks than 1 every 4 hours. Some employees may choose not to take a break though. Also you know it isn't difficult to drink water when you work. And no construction employers are not killing their workers lol. There is no law in Texas that forbids employers to give as many breaks as they see fit. When I was in the Army (Infantry) we could all day long with minimal breaks, in super hot conditions. Nobody died.
Yeah, you were like, how old then ... 22?

Old 08-24-2021, 09:30 AM

4,857 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I want to see a list of the companies that refuse water breaks for the workers
As would I. In practice, I'd be willing to bet most folks stop and get a drink when they need it. I expect the only reason this ever became a law/rule to begin with was to be 'in line' with union rules that dictate a certain break period for line/factory workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies