Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 11:22 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,551,006 times

Advertisements

really yellow journalism here.

the truth is this statement:
Quote:
The bill, which was passed by the Texas Senate in May, strips municipalities of the ability to regulate employment benefits and policies, and was proposed in order to stop cities from issuing protections related to the COVID-19 pandemic, like mandatory sick leave.
sez nothing about water, but someone (author? authors friend? Hillary?) ginned up a narrative.

federal law already gives 15 minute breaks every 4 hours so no, no republican said 'strip water breaks from the workers'. <--eta this is wrong, federal law only states that short <20 minute breaks be compensated, your state may install something over top that. Interesting, I woulda bet cash money otherwise

that workers are dying in the heat regardless? sure, I see that. no one is proposing banning fishing boats when the alaska fishing fleet is the most dangerous job around...(but if you could work in a covid narrative $5 gets ya $10 that changes...."Unvaccinated Tuna are killing our kids with covid!")

I recall being a mover back in phoenix in the summer. 110+ in the shade (but its a DRY heat...). no one stood in the way of water and ice consumption on my schedule, I doubt anyone does now and I know that if I did that today, I would be one of the ones you are planting...

Last edited by RetireinPA; 08-24-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 11:34 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Can you show me where it says that we have state and federal laws that ensure proper rest periods? Texas doesn't have a law for that, but if u need something that I don't, I will gladly wait.
Are you freakin’ kidding me? Federal law requires the public posting of our federal labor laws in the place of business. Businesses operating without a permanent building must have a copy available for any employee who wants to see it. Ask your payroll clerk for a copy.

Please stop wasting my time with such silliness.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:41 AM

7,383 posts, read 3,539,248 times
This thread is a clear example of critical thinking skills that many just don’t have

Old 08-24-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
Irrelevant. Are Republicans in Texas attempting to supersede federal law?
Your question is not relevant to this thread topic. Want answers? Start a new thread.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:59 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Union job ? Have never seen anything like that before
Union... non union and common sense. Want to keep workers hydrated and at their assigned work location ?... keep water and a pee palace (porta potty) nearby. Maybe you're not as well versed about construction as you claim.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:08 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,580,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Just imagine the cluster of repercussions if cities/counties/states were allowed to create their own employment laws. We’d cease to function.
States have sovereignty and are allowed to create more stringent laws (whether employment or otherwise) than the federal minimum guidelines. That's covered by the 9th Amendment. Every state has different employment laws. That's how American federalism works.

Texas just wields its unitary authority more heavily than most states as a result of the ideological clash between the cities and the state as a whole, but cities and counties quite often have different employment requirements.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:15 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Retirein Pa, thanks for being the voice of sanity.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
States have sovereignty and are allowed to create more stringent laws (whether employment or otherwise) than the federal minimum guidelines. That's covered by the 9th Amendment. Every state has different employment laws. That's how American federalism works.
States *do* have the right to enact employee protections that supersede federal authority in the event that the state and federal laws of an issue conflict. In that event, the state may opt for additional regulations provided they give the highest standard of protection to employees and the strictest standard for employers. Yes, that is correct.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:31 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
So, why are Republicans trying to take needed breaks from construction workers?
They're not.... it's just a B&M thread.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
That poster only covers the minimum wage, OSHA, FMLA and does not mention anything about breaks for workers. So can you tell me where you saw this? Like, im really asking. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Quote:
Sure it is because you introduced the usurpation of federal law into this thread. I’d also like to see your citation of the federal law mandating 10 minute breaks for construction workers.
Fair enough. Breaks are state-mandated and not federally controlled. That specific data would be listed on your state’s labor poster. Are we square? You guys got any other labor questions to stump me with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies