Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 04:26 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Are you suggesting these workers park their cars miles away from their job site and walk several miles to get to it? No, they most likely jump in the company truck and are transported to the job site. No reason why they can't stash the water container in the same truck. i swear, leftists have to be the most helpless, lack of common sense humans I have ever encountered.
It's ammeter of opinion about the leftist.

But some workers are not anywhere near their own vehicles during the day. That truck that transported the worker to the job site may or may not be available when someone needs a drink of water. I'm thinking especially of the people who pick up trash on the right of way for cities, counties and states.

Water breaks are usually left up to the employer.

And if you have ever spent time observing contractors for the state of Texas, water is always available within 50 feet of wherever they are.

There is much standing around.

This is from my watching the state construction site that has disrupted my community for the last 5 years 2 blocks from my house. There is no end in site.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:31 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
In Texas, specifically Austin and Dallas, requirements have been in place mandating a 10 minute water break every four hours for construction workers. Republican lawmakers are now pushing to eliminate those protections, which would allow construction workers to work in 100+ degree heat without as much as water breaks.

a survey found that many construction workers were not receiving either, even though temperatures in Austin have reached as high as 112 degrees F. The campaign was a success — that year, the city council passed an ordinance mandating that construction workers get a 10-minute water break every four hours. In 2015, Dallas adopted a similar requirement

Republican lawmakers in Texas are pushing a bill that would eliminate these minimal protections that help workers survive on very hot days, which are increasing in number and severity with climate change.

Source Here

Typical lefty misleading news. The drink breaks are only a tiny part of a broader effort to let companies determine benefits and pay for their employees. That's a good thing. There's nothing to indicate workers won't be given occasional breaks to have a drink. Fake drama - and lefties fall for it every single time.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:05 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It's ammeter of opinion about the leftist.

But some workers are not anywhere near their own vehicles during the day. That truck that transported the worker to the job site may or may not be available when someone needs a drink of water. I'm thinking especially of the people who pick up trash on the right of way for cities, counties and states.

Water breaks are usually left up to the employer.

And if you have ever spent time observing contractors for the state of Texas, water is always available within 50 feet of wherever they are.

There is much standing around.

This is from my watching the state construction site that has disrupted my community for the last 5 years 2 blocks from my house. There is no end in site.
If any Employer prevented an employee for getting water as they needed it, which is the employees decision, there would be hell to pay and anonymous complaints to OSHA.

This thread is an empty hit piece with no basis in reality.
Those of us on the job know firsthand this whole thread in BS in the first degree.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:46 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,775,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
So you're using the rule to justify the rule. Got it.
No, you really don't "have it". Sad part is, you never will.

I pray to God if my comprehension skills ever get as bad as some of these I've seen on this forum. someone will have mercy on me and shoot me in the head.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:30 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Seems IQ would be sufficient to figure this one out.

Workers with heat exhaustion or heat stroke can't work, but rather are sent to the hospital (ambulance, hospital stay, treatment, etc, all cost an employer money). Workers with heat stroke have a good chance of dying or being seriously messed up medically. Such employees (or families of employees) win lawsuits against negligent employers. Is a government mandate needed in order for employers to figure this out? Or do they want to be ruined financially for life in the event of a lawsuit over heat stroke? Are employers these days really that brain dead?

Old 08-24-2021, 08:15 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Well damn! You 'Mericans must be tough (or is that just you Texans?) One water break every 4 hours in the 100 plus degrees heat!. So on a 12 hour work day you get 2 (two) breaks the whole day? Damn you guys are tough! Start at six in the morning, work till 10am, take a break, work on till 2 pm, take a break then off at 6 pm.

Us softy Kiwi's and Auzzies get a 10 minute break every 2 (two) hours and a 30 min lunch break. It's enforced by law. We MUST take those breaks! That last rule came in a few years ago because guys would go out on site and not have their breaks then start making mistakes and having accidents.

When I was doing 12 hour days on construction, we didn't fool around. We worked hard out, no slacking. But they insisted we take our breaks. We had water founts strategically placed. Few guys carried water bottles. Some did. The trouble with carrying water bottles around is that we are working and we are carrying tools around. Sometimes the water bottle just doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Seems IQ would be sufficient to figure this one out. Anyone seen heat stroke or experienced it? Dehydration? Seen workers fall off high places? Fainting and falling into a furnace?

Workers with heat exhaustion or heat stroke can't work, but rather are sent to the hospital (ambulance, hospital stay, treatment, etc, all cost an employer money). Workers with heat stroke have a good chance of dying or being seriously messed up medically. Such employees (or families of employees) win lawsuits against negligent employers. Is a government mandate needed in order for employers to figure this out? Or do they want to be ruined financially for life in the event of a lawsuit over heat stroke? Are employers these days really that brain dead?
Exactly.

I'm just wondering how many of the commenters here on this thread do or did work construction?

Old 08-24-2021, 10:21 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
One break for water every four hours is not micro-managing. It's just plain common sense and good stewardship.
It is completely micro-managing. It is typical feel good legislation that has zero basis in need and won't do anything to help anyone. I bet there is no one on either city council who has ever run a farm, construction company, paving, etc.

You think it is okay for government to tell a company when they have to give water breaks, but I bet you don't believe government can tell a woman she can't kill her baby. Who dies more each year, workers from heat stroke or babies from abortion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
It will be 100 degrees today in Dallas. Is it too much to ask to give workers 10 minute breaks throughout the day? Really, Republicans?
It is asking too much for government to decide the minutia of an operation. Any employer who wants healthy workers and workers to stay will take care of them the best they can. They don't need more government intervention to decide how best to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The usual suspects seem to be trying to pretend that if cities don't pass laws mandating two 10-minute water breaks, nobody will have laws mandating two 10-minute water breaks..
People are pretending that unless a government demands it, workers won't get breaks or water.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:03 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
There are all kinds and many different outside jobs.

Some you stay in the same spot all day. like homebuilding. Some you park at the office, get in a truck and are ferried miles to the job site. The truck stays with the crew. DH also did asphalt runways at smaller airports. Talk about hot in the summer.

Some you get to the job site and then move all day, such as the guys who clean the road right of way for towns, counties or states. Some walk a mile or 2, all alone by themselves, picking up trash.

It has been the duty and responsibility of employers to provide water for their employees. Since when do towns need to get involved?

All I heard about outside work from the people who do it is that a person needs to do it all the time or not at all. Like roofing.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:06 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I want to see a list of the companies that refuse water breaks for the workers
This is a lie. Workers are not prisoners. They can stop anytime they want to use the toilet or get a drink of water.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:14 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Wait, isn’t it a federal law that workers get. 15 min break in the morning and afternoon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies