Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 04:49 PM

30,084 posts, read 18,698,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It was first started by Governors Evans, McCall, and Reagan of Washington, Oregon and California during the first energy crises in 1973. I remember I was living in Vancouver, Canada and drove down I-5 to Berkeley with all the streetlights and signs off at night. Only open gas stations has their signs lit.

Thanks god, we were driving a Datsun510 so we only had to stop for gas a couple of times.

Dropping the speed limit to 55 MPH will drop TOTAL CO2 emissions in this country OVERNIGHT by 10%. A HUGE reduction in CO2 emissions.

In most states, the Governor has the authority today to drop the speed limit to 55 MPH.

The laws of physics cannot be repealed by Congress or any state legislator. Sorry, but even with todays cars the laws of physics still apply!!!

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...-passenger-car

As noted, Europeans are dropping speed limits since it significantly drops CO2 emissions. They believe in man-caused global warming.

President Biden, Governor Inslee, Brown, Newson and a host of other Democratic governors do NOT believe in man-caused global warming.

If they did we would have a nation-wide 55 MPH speed limit tomorrow.

I view 55 MPH as the canary in the coal mine. Once the Democrats pass 55 MPH, I will start believing in man-caused global warming. Until that time, they are just using climate change as a way to funnel government money to their campaign contributors.

That is really the problem with 55 MPH. NOBODY makes money off it!!! In fact, it save people and government LOTS of money.

These days it is easy to enforce 55 MPH. Just pass a law making it illegal for your phone to go over 55 MPH for extended periods of time. Verizon, Google, Apple and a host of other companies have this information in real time even if your phone is off.

Odds are very good, that your auto insurance company also has the information about you.

State and local governments can just contract with BIG TECH to automatically send out a ticket for destroying the environment by driving faster than 55 MPH.

If global warming is real we will be driving 55 MPH or less real soon.

I am not betting on it even though according to the Democrats we ONLY have SEVEN years left!!!
Fortunately, "global warming" is not "real" and NONE of the free states will turn the clock back to 55 mph.

Let the liberal slave states drive 55, give up ac and central heat, and stop driving cars in town. Liberals will be happy in hell, as they are trying to create it now on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 04:50 PM

3,430 posts, read 1,850,003 times
Quote:
Paris drops speed limit to 30kph. Should we bring back 55?
No.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Ironside View Post
Where I live, some highways are 75 mph, the way I see it, people typically do 10-15 over the speed limit.
9 over/flow of traffic. Only a 2 point ticket at that. Might be 1-14MPH over is 2 points; I read somewhere it changed, and is now 9 over.

Correct, though, people just do 75, 80, flow of traffic, the police will write somebody probably in the left lane that didnt see them.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:52 PM

20,162 posts, read 9,060,402 times
I remember years ago when Montana has no posted speed limits I took a picture of myself going 110 mph from behind the wheel.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:03 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,060,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I remember years ago when Montana has no posted speed limits I took a picture of myself going 110 mph from behind the wheel.
There was a daytime speed limit in Montana in those days...it was "reasonable and prudent".

The night speed limit was 65 mph on divided highways and 55 mph a two lane highways.

Does anybody here believe in man-caused global warming and is opposed to 55 mph??

Old 08-30-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I can't drive......55!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k

Old 08-30-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am old enough to remember this folly from before. No one obeyed or respected it back then. All it ever accomplished is it being a cash cow for local government and insurance companies. The endless tickets never made people drive 55.

Laws must have the support of the public or they become unenforceable. Let’s consider prohibition, drinking age of 21, and our current mask mandate debate. If the public does not support the law it is ignored and becomes a joke.
Tell that to Virginia.

I will not drive in Virginia...

Old 08-30-2021, 05:08 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,306,708 times
That's insanely slow. I'd burn the country to the ground before I'd plod along at 18-20 MPH, and I will not go 55 on the interstate either.

18mph is my average speed on a road bike and most serious road bikers average 20+. I don't even go into towns around here that have 20mph speed limits. I never give them my business, ever.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:12 PM

16,641 posts, read 8,649,068 times
The leftist never get tired of trying to implement more laws, regulations and government control over the lives of the free citizens who put them in DC.
CA is an example of the fascists run amok, and they want to bring that to a town near you.

`

Old 08-30-2021, 05:18 PM

6,371 posts, read 2,916,897 times
That's Jimmy Carter type crap. I have a better idea. Make us drive electric cars that have windmills on their roofs. Electricity from the windmill charges the battery while the car moves. The faster you drive the faster the windmill turns and the better charge you get for the battery. Ideal speed would be approximately 100 mph.

This is an ideal idea for demoncrats who don't believe in laws. I'm sure they can repeal the laws of thermodynamics.

Last edited by mascoma; 08-30-2021 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies