Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 08:45 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadysBackTellAFriend View Post
Lets see, both are religious, both want laws based on religion, both push back against any movement that they deem a sin, and both tend to harbor fundamentalist mentalities.
Only difference is the level of freedom thr Taliban has compared to their Christian counter parts.

Both are religious conservatives.
That is a pretty big difference. When one group is preventing women from working, going to school, leaving the house, getting married to who they choose, listening to music, putting on makeup, etc, etc, and the punishments for these heinous offenses is death in many cases...that is kind of a big deal.

Also....I seem to remember liberals not having an issue with religious law being implemented in the USA when years ago Sharia law was in the news.

Conservatives protesting against Sharia Law. Counter protesters showing up

Old 09-03-2021, 08:46 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,444,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
A fetus in the womb “rights” don’t trump that of a fully realized human woman.
I would think a small human would deserve actually protection over an adult, no? It’s the responsibility of adults to protect those who are not adults, those more vulnerable. To me, that includes babies born and unborn. I’m not against abortion in every single case, but the vast majority yes. It should never be used as birth control. That is just inhumane.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:47 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,514,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
When your entire belief system is based on emotions and emotions are the domain of the more primitive and impulsive limbic brain that we share with mammals, you leave yourself prone to be led by your emotions which leaves your life an undisciplined mess of chasing one high after another.
Very, very well said.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,444,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Actually it is worse for American women. At least in Afghanistan they all suffer the same fundamentalist misogyny, there is some company in grief. IN the USA if you can afford it you can have an abortion any time, anywhere. But if you are poor AND POC and pregnant, well, too bad for you. A great way to divide and create hate and fear. GOP has honed that weapon to a fine point. It is going to turn around and poke them where it hurts - at Election.
Not true at all. The majority of abortions are done to women of color. Get out of your echo chamber.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:48 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,710,905 times
In nations ruled by strict Islamic law homosexuals and women suffer and yet some liberals seem to welcome and defend Muslims. They also seem to hate upon Israel, the only middle eastern country with an elected form of government that allows members of any faith or gender to serve in the government and where women and homosexuals enjoy more freedom than in any other nation in the region. In the case of the Taliban they rape, torture, and murder females regardless of age forcing some to become their brides as they call them or personal sex slaves as we in the west would call them. As for homosexuals, they are sometimes raped and tortured but always murdered in gruesome manners. They do this using strict Islamic laws as justifications. To compare American conservatives to the Taliban is pure hyperbole and only fools would view the comparison as valid especially since liberals seem to be so welcoming towards Muslims while hating upon Christianity.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:49 AM

25,850 posts, read 16,547,069 times
JFK would have been a right wing, white supremacy nazi to today’s Democrats.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:52 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Actually it is worse for American women. At least in Afghanistan they all suffer the same fundamentalist misogyny, there is some company in grief. IN the USA if you can afford it you can have an abortion any time, anywhere. But if you are poor AND POC and pregnant, well, too bad for you. A great way to divide and create hate and fear. GOP has honed that weapon to a fine point. It is going to turn around and poke them where it hurts - at Election.
There you have it folks. Someone who actually believes women have it worse in the USA than in Afghanistan. I'm sure we will be seeing the mass exodus of women from the USA to Afghanistan anyyyyy day now....

....Any day now.

...Any day...

No? But women have it so much better over there. Right? I mean besides all the stonings and forced marriages and lack of education and lack of freedom to leave the house, they are living the good life. Free abortions as well (they may not survive the abortion because it will be in the form of a public stoning but hey at least they are available )

Old 09-03-2021, 08:54 AM

2,367 posts, read 910,922 times
Of course it's just party politics.

You can also compare Christ to Mohammed, or the Pope to Buddha, mother Theresa to Angelina Jolie. It's all stupid and meaningless except to the most undeveloped minds.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:59 AM

18,404 posts, read 19,040,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Let me know if this statement is giving you trouble and I'll go over everything I have already gone over in this thread again just for you...
Restricting abortion ≠ all the multitude of offenses against women that you don't seem to care about that happen daily in Afghanistan

Any conservatives fighting to force women to don a burka? Anyone? A seem to remember a few years ago when talk of Sharia Law being allowed in the USA was a thing most liberals were in support of it (because it would be islamophobia to deny it) and conservatives were against it. Do you even think what is happening to women in Afghanistan is a bad thing?

Also wearing a burka is hardly the worst thing women living amongst the actual Taliban have to live in fear of daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadysBackTellAFriend View Post
Lets see, both are religious, both want laws based on religion, both push back against any movement that they deem a sin, and both tend to harbor fundamentalist mentalities.
Only difference is the level of freedom thr Taliban has compared to their Christian counter parts.

Both are religious conservatives.
See above. You paint with a wide brush assuming liberals don’t care about women in Afghanistan. No one can fix the world but I can and will fight for my own sex, in my own country for the equal right to control my own body and medical choices, just as a man can and does legally.

No woman in America should be forced against own wishes to remain pregnant, gestate, labor and deliver. Let alone parenthood for 18 yrs or give away her child. Extremist mind set to include rape and incest into the law. Extreme to essentially offer a bounty to turn people in. The circumstances of conception matters not, not even if she had consensual sex. Mind your own sperm. Women can mind their own uterus.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:59 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,710,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
There you have it folks. Someone who actually believes women have it worse in the USA than in Afghanistan. I'm sure we will be seeing the mass exodus of women from the USA to Afghanistan anyyyyy day now....

....Any day now.

...Any day...

No? But women have it so much better over there. Right? I mean besides all the stonings and forced marriages and lack of education and lack of freedom to leave the house, they are living the good life. Free abortions as well (they may not survive the abortion because it will be in the form of a public stoning but hey at least they are available )
Most likely that was a person who hates USA so much their judgement is impaired and has never been outside of North America. You know, a sponge mind that willingly absorbed whatever hate their teacher and professor spewed towards them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies