Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 11:43 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,967,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thanks. You beat me to it.

Retailers have the FREEDOM to put anything they choose under lock and key, most everywhere.

As you know, NZ is an island with a population of about 5 million people.

As I understand it, one recent Aussie visitor tested positive and the government shut down the country and the majority of the population seems to get this is the best way to nip it in the bud.
Well yeah, that's the whole point.

They have the "freedom" to crack down on freedoms.....all for "safety."

That's why it's so dumb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 11:46 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Z authorities said the attack was carried out by an individual, not a faith, ideology religion et al. However the individual most certainly was acting based on faith ideology religion et al. I would say the base problem here is indeed Islam. Yeah yeah, "not ALL Islamists are like that on and on it goes. The core of the issue is Islam. Mullahs telling freaks like the one at issue here to kill infidels in any way possible.

Guns knives bombs strangle them in their sleep. The prophet commands it. If that's not an issue with ideology religion what have you I don't know what is. Taking knives and other edged implements off the shelves isn't going to prevent an attack like this in the future. Shooting the ones who want to commit or order such attacks in the face will however. Turn out the lights the jihad is over.

At the least that can stop an attack after its begun if preemptive action is not an option which sadly all to often it isn't. Short of complete eradication of Islam those are the options and even if that did happen something else would just take its place. In the case of this sort of Islam the infection has spread to far. Oganized religion of all types has been the biggest cause of death and war second only maybe to fights over women such as with the Trojan war. I mean no slight to women btw. And of course in the latter war its biggest hero was a homosexual. Isn't that odd though?

I can hear the yowling about how Christianity is worse than Islam already deafening my ears and that may have been true a thousand years ago but in this century it's not. There is no more violent, bloodthirsty, scheming plotting nasty religion on Earth as of this moment than Islam. So I must disagree with the NZ authorities that this is all on this individual. He was infected with a nasty virus called Islamowackious.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yep, that's what's funny. People here scream about people, companies, governments, etc having personal freedom to make their own decisions...until they dont agree with it. Then its suddenly them being nanny or woke or a sheep. Even funnier that this is a whole other country and NZ's knives affect us in no way.

If any of these Americans fly to New Zealand and want to purchase a knife, you have the freedom to go to another store and get one, or wait til that store puts them back on the shelf. No one is taking away your American freedom in New Zealand to get a knife.

And yep, how they feel they need to handle to the virus is how they do it. We are the last ones to tell other countries how to run their show when we're still in a mess.
Not at that store.

And how about a gun?

Or how about a Big Mac during lockdown?

Old 09-07-2021, 12:09 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No, it's just a size thing -the US has a large population and is well resourced, while NZ isn't.
Yes and no. India is much larger in population than the U.S. or Russia but militarily it would lose to either one hands down. Population and size is a factor but not entirely.

Look at WW2. Japan and Germany were no bigger than China or France but without the U.S. intervening, the wolves (Japan and Germany) would have gotten to all the European and Asian sheeps, big or small.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yes and no. India is much larger in population than the U.S. or Russia but militarily it would lose to either one hands down. Population and size is a factor but not entirely.
Good luck with the US invading India.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:17 PM

1,154 posts, read 274,544 times
Quote:
We're calling other countries on other continents nanny states now lol. Okay. Quite an obsession with New Zealand here. Their coronavirus lockdowns is why they have no cases and can function normally. And guess what: New Zealanders do not care about the lockdowns, nor do they care what we Americans think about it or them.

They even shut down McDonalds for two weeks, and no one in NZ cared. That is what I've been told by actual people who live there, not some headline. They didn't politicize the virus.

Also, this is purposely disingenuous. A "nanny state" by yalls definition is something the government does without the people asking them to, but:

- it is a supermarket chain, not the New Zealand government, who has made this decision - after an attack that took place in their store from someone from Sri Lanka. Some other chains have followed suit.

Also, this is temporary.

New Zealanders, can still buy knives in New Zealand, if they really want to. We really have an inferiority complex to New Zealand.

When anyone says "temporary" now I am very afraid. Because you know it won't be.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:22 PM

7,928 posts, read 3,475,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Why are people still going to supermarkets in New Zealand? Don't they know about Covid? They should have drones drop shipping supplies to all the people. If they just locked up everyone, they could have zero covid and zero knife attacks. Somebody please tell Jacinda.
If everyone would just wear plastic bags over their heads instead of those ineffective masks they could stop the spread of COVID entirely.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:22 PM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Apparently it's not just "A" supermarket, seems others are following suit...read the article.
The free market allows for private enterprises to make such decisions. The market will decide, will we see a huge downturn in profits for this chain?

Old 09-07-2021, 12:28 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
I think New Zealand has officially taken over as the top Nanny State in the free world.

Holy crap.

This is the same country that goes into national lockdown if ONE CASE of China Virus is found. They are the same country that basically stripped all gun rights from its people after the mass shooting a couple years ago.

I guess the freedom of their citizens depends on the whims of rogue states like China releasing viruses or nutcases stabbing or shooting people?

Surely even the liberals and staunchest supporters of government crackdowns on freedoms here understand that this is ridiculous?

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...fter-terrorist
We are still taking off our shoes and get full naked body scans to fly. Keep throwing rocks.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Not at that store.

Okay, thank goodness you have other stores to choose from. Better yet thank goodness you live in the United States.

And how about a gun?

Isnt this your thread? Isn't it about knives? What does that have to do with anything. Again, thank goodness you live in the United States.

Or how about a Big Mac during lockdown?

Are you currently eating a big mac everyday? If you cant go 1-2 weeks without a Big Mac that is a personal problem and New Zealand is probably doing you a favor.
Who are you to say how long I should go without something I want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies