Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 08:23 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,967,178 times

Advertisements

I think New Zealand has officially taken over as the top Nanny State in the free world.

Holy crap.

This is the same country that goes into national lockdown if ONE CASE of China Virus is found. They are the same country that basically stripped all gun rights from its people after the mass shooting a couple years ago.

I guess the freedom of their citizens depends on the whims of rogue states like China releasing viruses or nutcases stabbing or shooting people?

Surely even the liberals and staunchest supporters of government crackdowns on freedoms here understand that this is ridiculous?

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...fter-terrorist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 08:29 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,453,059 times
We're calling other countries on other continents nanny states now lol. Okay. Quite an obsession with New Zealand here. Their coronavirus lockdowns is why they have no cases and can function normally. And guess what: New Zealanders do not care about the lockdowns, nor do they care what we Americans think about it or them.

They even shut down McDonalds for two weeks, and no one in NZ cared. That is what I've been told by actual people who live there, not some headline. They didn't politicize the virus.

Also, this is purposely disingenuous. A "nanny state" by yalls definition is something the government does without the people asking them to, but:

- it is a supermarket chain, not the New Zealand government, who has made this decision - after an attack that took place in their store from someone from Sri Lanka. Some other chains have followed suit.

Also, this is temporary.

New Zealanders, can still buy knives in New Zealand, if they really want to. We really have an inferiority complex to New Zealand.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:32 AM

2,018 posts, read 3,524,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Their coronavirus lockdowns is why they have no cases and can function normally.
Did you just use "lockdowns" and "function normally" in the same sentence? "New normal", I guess?

Old 09-07-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Did you just use "lockdowns" and "function normally" in the same sentence? "New normal", I guess?
Way to distract from the point. The point is the thread title, like most of them in this forum, is dishonest. The New Zealand government did not remove or ban knives. A supermarket removed them, and - it is a temporary measure. You can still buy a knife in New Zealand.

And yes I did. Coming from people who actually live in New Zealand, their lockdowns have been quick and swift, and they have worked. Americans think everyone else in the world is wrong if they dont think like us and do what we think they should do. New Zealand does not care what we think.

New Zealand is not interested in the political debates. Any sign of the virus, they squash it. And now they have actual "freedom" and are functioning closer to how they did pre-virus. Not sure why that's such a point of contention. We are jealous I guess, but it's our own fault.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
We're calling other countries on other continents nanny states now lol. Okay. Quite an obsession with New Zealand here. Their coronavirus lockdowns is why they have no cases and can function normally. And guess what: New Zealanders do not care about the lockdowns, nor do they care what we Americans think about it or them.

They even shut down McDonalds for two weeks, and no one in NZ cared. That is what I've been told by actual people who live there, not some headline. They didn't politicize the virus.

Also, this is purposely disingenuous. A "nanny state" by yalls definition is something the government does without the people asking them to, but:

- it is a supermarket chain, not the New Zealand government, who has made this decision - after an attack that took place in their store from someone from Sri Lanka. Some other chains have followed suit.

Also, this is temporary.

New Zealanders, can still buy knives in New Zealand, if they really want to. We really have an inferiority complex to New Zealand.
Yeah no kidding. WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THEM??

Old 09-07-2021, 08:46 AM

China should just annex these timid, terrified sheep.

I'm surprised they haven't already.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:48 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times
Quote:
Way to distract from the point. The point is the thread title, like most of them in this forum, is dishonest. The New Zealand government did not remove or ban knives. A supermarket removed them, and - it is a temporary measure. You can still buy a knife in New Zealand.

And yes I did. Coming from people who actually live in New Zealand, their lockdowns have been quick and swift, and they have worked. Americans think everyone else in the world is wrong if they dont think like us and do what we think they should do. New Zealand does not care what we think.

New Zealand is not interested in the political debates. Any sign of the virus, they squash it. And now they have actual "freedom" and are functioning closer to how they did pre-virus. Not sure why that's such a point of contention. We are jealous I guess, but it's our own fault.
They have squashed nothing. The virus will be back and then another lockdown. Repeat and rinse.

And furthermore, it’s easy to contain a virus when you are a bunch of islands far away from most of the world with no dumb president Biden opening the borders allowing millions to just walk in, then flying them all over your country.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:59 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Future headline:

“Countryside scoured for rocks and sharp sticks”.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:04 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Future headline:

“Countryside scoured for rocks and sharp sticks”.
As our caveman ancestors had shown, those objects can be fashioned into quite lethal weapons.

All of these measures by NZ are just reactionary attempts to squelch the symptoms and not cure the disease.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Edit: NZ government is not banning knives

Last edited by mingna; 09-07-2021 at 09:36 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Yeah no kidding. WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THEM??
Lol why are you screaming? So I guess you admit I'm right since you added absolutely zero substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
They have squashed nothing. The virus will be back and then another lockdown. Repeat and rinse.

And furthermore, it’s easy to contain a virus when you are a bunch of islands far away from most of the world ...rambling about a bunch of nonsense that I heard on Newsmax
New Zealand is closer to normalcy than most anyone else. Island nation or not, they take the coronavirus serious and aren't beating each other up on airplanes and shooting each other over masks. That is the American way.

Why do you, as an American, care about their lockdowns, when they dont care themselves? No one in New Zealand is screaming about muh freedoms, and no one is making you go sit in New Zealand.

New Zealand lives rent free here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies