Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 09:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,041 times

Advertisements

That whole approach by the NZ government to address home-grown terrorism through intense surveillance is not only labor intensive, but expensive and only works if the number of suspects under this type of surveillance is very, very low.

“Works” does not mean it stops the terrorist from harming innocent victims and spreading terror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 09:42 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,455,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Apparently it's not just "A" supermarket, seems others are following suit...read the article.

While they decide whether or not to remove them permanently...read the article.

For now anyway.
The richness of you telling me to read the article when all these people are making comments based off the OP's headline. Clearly you are the one who needs to read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
It is a supermarket chain, not the New Zealand government, who has made this decision - after an attack that took place in their store from someone from Sri Lanka. Some other chains have followed suit.
If you weren't aware, "chain" means "more than one store", and "some other" means..."more than one store"...not that difficult.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:45 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times
Quote:
I didn't say it didnt. Obviously being isolated helps. BUT, New Zealand also has an "us" not "me" culture. Their initial 2020 lockdowns were much more strict than the US. They closed fast food and grocery stores. And guess what? New Zealanders did not whine about it. They stocked up ahead of time and rode it out. That is the biggest reason they have gotten the virus controlled, because of their attitudes towards it.

It doesn't matter than the US share a land border with 2 other countries. If we had the same attitude, we would be in the same boat.

But that doesn't matter here. Yet, what does it any of it have to do with knives? Which you can still buy in the country? Nothing really.
No sane person would want to live under the Idiocracy of NZ.

that stuff would not fly in most of the civilized world, ESPECIALLY not the USA.

and NZ depends on the USA for its very survival. They can lock down all they want but we have to go to work to keep ourselves strong and rich to protect them.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:46 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times
Quote:
The richness of you telling me to read the article when all these people are making comments based off the OP's headline. Clearly you are the one who needs to read:

If you weren't aware, "chain" means "more than one store", and "some other" means..."more than one store"...not that difficult.

And temporary means what they said. Dont be obtuse.
The "submit to nannying" philosophy has permeated the whole country.

Would it really surprise you if their nanny leader introduced a permit system for knives given that they had a totalitarian crackdown on guns and virus concentration camps there?

Yikes.

Last edited by paracord; 09-07-2021 at 10:45 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 09:48 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:
I didn't say it didnt. Obviously being isolated helps. BUT, New Zealand also has an "us" not "me" culture. Their initial 2020 lockdowns were much more strict than the US. They closed fast food and grocery stores. And guess what? New Zealanders did not whine about it. They stocked up ahead of time and rode it out. That is the biggest reason they have gotten the virus controlled, because of their attitudes towards it.

It doesn't matter than the US share a land border with 2 other countries. If we had the same attitude, we would be in the same boat.

But that doesn't matter here. Yet, what does it any of it have to do with knives? Which you can still buy in the country? Nothing really.
Oy, how can you say with a straight face that having millions of third world migrants, some carrying diseases, including Covid, come right in and then flew by plane no less all over the country “does not matter?”

Do that with New Zealand and see how much all that bull crap about “us versus me culture” works with the virus. You really think that New Zealand would be where they are at if all of a sudden, several million Central and South Americans walked right into their country right now?

Old 09-07-2021, 09:55 AM

23,637 posts, read 12,561,414 times
Quote:
I am not "all these people" and I am not responsible for what other people read or don't read, post or don't post.

Quote:
Splitting hairs^

Quote:
And temporary means what they said. Dont be obtuse.
So you know more than they do...riiight.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:59 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,041 times
I think many people will “submit” to authoritarianism that temporarily restricts freedoms if they have faith their leaders and their actions will be effective enough for the benefits to outweigh the costs.

That many (most?) NZ folks have so far either supported or tolerated these measures is an indication of their faith in their leaders and their policies, whether warranted or not.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:59 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,455,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
No sane person would want to live under the Idiocracy of NZ.

that stuff would not fly in most of the civilized world, ESPECIALLY not the USA.

and NZ depends on the USA for its very survival. They can lock down all they want but we have to go to work to keep ourselves strong and rich to protect them.
Is that why New Zealand is ranked top 10 in quality of life while the US is not top 15?
Is that why New Zealand is ranked higher than the US in human development index?

Is that why New Zealand ranks higher than the US in education, health, and crime?
Is that why New Zealand ranks 7th on the prosperity index while the US ranks 18th?

Is that why New Zealand is 10th in personal freedom while the US is 22nd?

As far as I recall, New Zealanders aren't shooting, stabbing, and beating the hell out of each other in airplanes, stores, and on the street over simple masks. New Zealanders are not having mental breakdowns to the point where people are going viral everyday.

No one cares that you dont want to live in New Zealand. I dont want to live there either - because it is extremely isolated from my family, not as diverse, and would be a culture shock. I do not care about New Zealands politics, but I can recognize they are a well run country.

You can s--- talk them all you want and call them nannies or sheep or sellouts or whatever you feel like coming up with, but your bizarre personal annoyance towards NZ doesn't change the reality that they have handled this better and are doing better. The inferiority complex here against New Zealand is very strange. They literally are harmless to you.

And NZ could get by just fine without us. Dont act like we're doing them favors. We are not their biggest trade partner and what they get from us they can get elsewhere. Thankfully, most normal Americans dont have a problem with NZ.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:02 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
These laws are nothing new. The UK has so many stabbings, you can't buy a knife unless you are 18. Both countries made restrictive gun laws thinking that would help with the violence, well it did not.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:04 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:
Is that why New Zealand is ranked top 10 in quality of life while the US is not top 15?
Is that why New Zealand is ranked higher than the US in human development index?

Is that why New Zealand ranks higher than the US in education, health, and crime?
Is that why New Zealand ranks 7th on the prosperity index while the US ranks 18th?

Is that why New Zealand is 10th in personal freedom while the US is 22nd?

As far as I recall, New Zealanders aren't shooting, stabbing, and beating the hell out of each other in airplanes, stores, and on the street over simple masks. New Zealanders are not having mental breakdowns to the point where people are going viral everyday.

No one cares that you dont want to live in New Zealand. I dont want to live there either - because it is extremely isolated from my family, not as diverse, and would be a culture shock. I do not care about New Zealands politics, but I can recognize they are a well run country.

You can s--- talk them all you want and call them nannies or sheep or sellouts or whatever you feel like coming up with, but your bizarre personal annoyance towards NZ doesn't change the reality that they have handled this better and are doing better. The inferiority complex here against New Zealand is very strange. They literally are harmless to you.

And NZ could get by just fine without us. Dont act like we're doing them favors. We are not their biggest trade partner and what they get from us they can get elsewhere. Thankfully, most normal Americans dont have a problem with NZ.
New Zealand can live well because they have countries like the U.S. watching out for them. If there was not a western power like the U.S. keeping the world safe, a China, Russia, Pakistan, North Korea, or even an Indonesia can just walk right in, take over, annexing them and there wouldn’t be anything they can do about it.

The New Zealand’s of the world are like sheep. We are the sheep dog. If not for us, the wolves and bears would pick them off one by one until there was none left.

Another reason why it’s important to have a strong military, something the Left wants to weaken and get rid of altogether if they had their (misguided) way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies