Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 08:09 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Who are you to say how long I should go without something I want?
Who are you to cry "nanny state" when a private business makes a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 08:44 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,475,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post

NZ, and to some extent Australia, will have to deal with Covid becoming an endemic virus, and still be free nations. You can't avoid it forever, even though your borders have insulated you thus far. It seems like the leaders of both countries are willing to impose cruel, draconian, illiberal policies on people. I have hostility toward that, and I feel sorry for the people suffering through it. I'm sorry if it comes across as being against the population. It is directed at the authoritarians, not the people.
No, they won't. That's what they're trying to tell us, but too many of us aren't listening. Like elsewhere in the world we need to realize we can't force liberty on people who don't value it. We just have to push back when other Americans who also don't value it point to the Crown colonies as examples for us to emulate on this issue.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:51 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Who are you to say how long I should go without something I want?
That's exactly what I said when I tried to purchase enriched uranium.

Obviously a ludicrous analogy, but you're not in NZ, you can buy a knife whenever/wherever you want. You're being enraged by something that has zero affect on you.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:06 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Fauci Virus if you don't mind. This virus was first being 'studied' in the US before being moved to Wuhan and was funded directly by Fauci with US tax dollars. So thank him.

But notice that our outbreak is almost over. Soon we will be back to normal, business as usual. Say, how is your covid outbreak doing? We've had one death. You guys?

News flash; They already have. China owns half of New Zealand. When we need to turn to China, we only need to go to the guy next door.

And for the record, we are not terrified sheep. We shag sheep! Err ... somehow that didn't come out right ..

Has anyone from New Zealand ever claimed to be sane?

Shall we talk about "that stuff would not fly in most of the civilized world, ESPECIALLY not the USA"?

Where to begin. Oh I know, let's talk about the transgender issue. No wait, let's talk about transgender laws. Yes!

OK, trick question. Which country has laws forcing 'transgender' men onto women's sports teams in the Olympics? Or transgender 'women' into girls dorms at college? Prisons? Do I need to say more on 'transgender? Let's move to CRT. Which country .... you get my point. Short answer - it's not New Zealand. We don't have 'chest feeding' or 'birthing person' here. We have men and women and we know exactly what out respective roles are. We do have birthing ships though. Do those count?

Shall we talk about stripping all gun rights? Yeah, they did strip our rights to posses semi-auto rifles (other than 22lr). That sucks. Basically we had a choice. Do nothing and face retaliatory terrorist attacks or do something. You know exactly what I mean. So we lost our semi-autos to appease the 'something something you know who' (a-holes). You can be sure, they would have attacked had we not taken that highly unpopular move. I would rather have given them the middle finger and gone on high alert but anyway, we didn't and I'm not happy about that.

But we have not lost our gun rights. We have more guns per capita than you Americans do. Although, fishing is more popular on the whole (I think?)

Disclaimer: I do realize that most Americans are actually normal and sane, not that dissimilar to us.

Duh! We have to eat! Not only that but bottle stores are closed during lockdown.

Most of the time we do have zero covid. This one person slipped through the net somehow. Now we are stopping it. It would have stopped after two weeks had some idiots kept to the lock down restrictions. If you look at our outbreak locations, you'll see Counties Manukau is the hotspot. Up until 9am, there were 11 new cases there. There should have been zero!

I also see one person has died from this latest outbreak, pushing our death toll up to 27.

P.S. kmom, you seem to have a hostility toward us Kiwi's. Why is that? I hope it isn't anything I have said?
Not kmom, but a mom nevertheless, so I’m going to provide my $0.02

I’m pissed because my last batch of NZ kiwis was just awful — hard and sour ( like its people?) And don’t even get me started on the overpriced under flavored King Ora salmon I last ate. Just kidding both were delicious as expected

Good to hear of a native insider’s perspective on all this, especially regarding the logic behind the semi-auto rifle ban in your country.

I think this extremely low tolerance and tight control on COVID infections numbers will cost NZ more in the long run (economically, psychologically, maybe even socially) than any benefits gained. A lot will depend on how long it will be continued at this level, but it doesn’t seem sustainable to me.

Is there a reason NZ didn’t opt for a Sweden-style approach? Is it due to limitations in the healthcare system? Demographics?

Old 09-08-2021, 09:51 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Is there a reason NZ didn’t opt for a Sweden-style approach? Is it due to limitations in the healthcare system? Demographics?
As of today, Sweden has had 14,682 deaths from COVID in a population of 10.3 million.

NZ has had 27 deaths out of a 5.1 million population.

I'd rather ask Sweden why they didn't go down the NZ approach?

Old 09-08-2021, 12:36 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why are your posts so nasty?

No one in NZ nor anywhere else in the Antipodes has done anything to you.

You’re so compassionate toward people who have to quarantine, but I see nothing about all the people that have lost their lives, or their loved ones, or who have ongoing complications from Covid.

650,000 dead at last count.

27 dead in NZ.

Tell that to Jacinda.
It was sarcasm directed at tyrants, not citizens. I am ridiculing tyrants because that is what they deserve. I have witnessed the whole spectrum of Covid horror (both the disease and the strict mandates) and all of the government mandates in the world don't keep people safe. They only make things worse.

Much of the world has been dealing with this for far longer than Australia and NZ. I am frustrated because rather than learning from the mistakes of other nations, NZ and Australia are repeating the cruel, ineffective, illiberal measures that didn't work everywhere else. It is a sad thing to watch free nations fall into tyranny, which is what is happening, but the populations are so traumatized by fear you don't notice.

Are you okay with a future where 80% are vaccinated and the other 20% are denied healthcare and participation in the economy?? And continuing restrictions? Just look at Israel. That is your future. Lots of Covid, restrictions, and boosters.

Regarding the US Covid numbers, in April of 2020, Dr. Deborah Birx stated that the Covid death counts would be inflated because they label everything with a positive PCR test as a "Covid death.' That includes people in hospice with late stage cancer who happen to test positive. That number is NOT accurate. We are also an enormous, chaotic nation with a porous Southern border with God knows who coming through. You can't compare the US with NZ and Australia in terms of the spread of an airborne virus. When Covid inevitably hits NZ, the hardest lockdown in the world won't stop it from spreading. 18 months of history from other nations prove that.

There is no controlling this virus from the government level. People need to understand this. It can be mitigated at the indivudual level through behavior, n95 masks, ventilation. At the community level through early treatments (monoclonal antibodies, repurposed generic drugs, etc) and access to vaccinations. But controlling it at the government level is just an invite for abuse. I'm very sorry if people take my sarcasm personally. It is directed solely at the officials who are obliterating human rights, and it is out of compassion for people that I speak up.

Old 09-08-2021, 01:18 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
rs.

You can't compare the US with NZ and Australia in terms of the spread of an airborne virus. When Covid inevitably hits NZ, the hardest lockdown in the world won't stop it from spreading. 18 months of history from other nations prove that.
The history is still being written - for now NZ has low death rate, if the policy manages to return the country to normality with a low death rate relative to other countries, that is what will become history.

Old 09-08-2021, 01:41 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,729 times
So from what I can gather over on the Oz & NZ forum, these countries are going on a hard lockdown until they can acquire enough vaccines to get their populations vaccinated to acceptable levels. Of course this is done with expectation that vaccination leads to lower COVID-19 fatalities.

What are the acceptable conditions for how long the populace is willing to be sealed (and maybe re-sealed) off from the world?

Is vaccination status of the populace the determining factor for when the country opens? Or will it be infection rate post-vaccination? Or will it be the number hospitable beds occupied? Or will it be the fatality rate?

Old 09-08-2021, 01:43 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Might make cooking a little hard. Of course, they probably don't cook there. The government does it for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
... screaming about muh freedoms, ...
You shouldn't make light of personal liberty. Not everyone wishes to be a slave to the state as you do.

If nobody had "screamed about muh freedoms" here in the US, blacks could still be picking cotton on the southern plantations. Luckily those people didn't share your plantation mentality.

Old 09-08-2021, 01:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
That seems like a huge overreaction. What happens when someone is bludgeoned with a baseball bat? Or a rock?

Kneejerking is one of my pet peeves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies