Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 05:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

Home daycare workers -- so this whole issue is referncing the home daycares.

For the average home daycare worker, that subsidy works out to about $12.42 per hour, the union says. The union wants an arbitrator to evaluate its members' pay scale in an effort to see those wages increase to $16.75 per hour

Roughly 10,000 daycare workers are on strike across the province, affecting about 50,000 families.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...r-21-1.5732062

There are 8.5 million people in Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 05:11 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because not all households are made up of a working dad and a SAHM.
My kids father died when they were 6 and 2. There are lots of single parent homes. There are lots of dads who aren't working or aren't able to support the household. There are lots of moms who want to continue their career and not just be a SAHM for years.
Yours is not the typical case.

In a two parent household either parent could stay home with the kids.

If my hypothetical wife could earn enough to support our hypothetical family, I'd be thrilled to stay home in the supportive role.

If neither partner earns that sort of money, maybe starting a family isn't such a good idea.

Those that choose to be single parents should not be rewarded for their irresponsible choice.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:40 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,607,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Because 100 % of women don’t want to stay home and 100% of men don’t want to work. Are you suggesting we should force them into your preferred roles?
The problem didn't exist until the past century, when they were forced out of what had been, for millennia, society's preferred roles -- not mine. Problems arise when you start fixing what ain't broke.

Guess what -- 100% of men and women don't want to wok at all, at home or away, If work was what people wanted, the rich would keep it all for themselves.

I grew up when 40 outside unskilled man-hours raised a family. Your "preferred roles" have raised that to 80 trained hours, plus technology, automation, computerization and cheap imports, and it still isn't enough. Start 'splainin'

Last edited by arr430; 11-12-2021 at 07:15 PM..

Old 11-12-2021, 07:51 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Except the part where it costs (in 2015 based on this report ) the taxpayers $9,000 per year ($750/month) per child - probably between $10-11,000/yr today). Of course there is a long waiting list, who wouldn’t for that much savings.
Median average daycare cost in Canada are $1,600/month. Even $750/mo is an amazing deal. Also (and I admittedly don't know that much about Canadian think tanks compared with American ones), the Fraiser Institute seems like a questionable source when doing a quick search about them. I'm not saying I'd discredit them, but it does seem like they have enough bias to take what they conclude with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Maybe people should liv e within their means and not expect others to pay for their lifestyle.
What does that have to do with this subject? This is showing government run daycare is more affordable than the private alternatives. Taxpayer money being used efficiently for the benefit of the country's citizens is the point of taxes.

Last edited by Lekrii; 11-12-2021 at 08:05 PM..

Old 11-12-2021, 09:08 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Median average daycare cost in Canada are $1,600/month. Even $750/mo is an amazing deal. Also (and I admittedly don't know that much about Canadian think tanks compared with American ones), the Fraiser Institute seems like a questionable source when doing a quick search about them. I'm not saying I'd discredit them, but it does seem like they have enough bias to take what they conclude with a grain of salt.

What does that have to do with this subject? This is showing government run daycare is more affordable than the private alternatives. Taxpayer money being used efficiently for the benefit of the country's citizens is the point of taxes.
Your source checker is an entity that, in its own words, provides progressive analysis of Canadian politics.... in other words, a questionable source itself.

And, then there is this:
Quote:
According to the January 2020 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report (Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program, University of Pennsylvania), Fraser is number 14 (of 8,200) in the "Top Think Tanks Worldwide" and number 1 in the "Top Think Tanks in Mexico and Canada".
Quote:
In addition to these rankings, the Fraser Institute also ranks:
  • 3rd in the world for social policy research;
  • 6th in the world for both national and international health policy research;
  • 11th for best use of external relations and public engagement;
  • 15th for most innovative policy ideas; and,
  • 15th for best think tank network.
While the Fraser Institute plays a critical role within Canada, it also leads a global network of more than 120 independent think-tanks from 95 nations and territories through its Economic Freedom Network. Seven other members of that network ranked among the top 100 think-tanks in the world in this year’s index, including:
  • Cato Institute (United States), 20th;
  • Institute of Economic Affairs (United Kingdom), 65th;
  • Libertad y Desarollo (Chile), 69th;
  • Center for China and Globalization (China), 75th;
  • Centre for Civil Society (India), 82nd;
  • Association for Liberal Thinking (Turkey), 89th;
  • Timbro (Sweden), 92nd; and
  • Centro de Divulgacion del Conocimiento Economico para la Libertad (Venezuela) 99th
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/site...ewsrelease.pdf

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-12-2021 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Formatting error

Old 11-13-2021, 10:22 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Your source checker is an entity that, in its own words, provides progressive analysis of Canadian politics.... in other words, a questionable source itself.

And, then there is this:

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/site...ewsrelease.pdf
The Fraser Institute is seen as a very biased think tank. Their methodology on many subjects has been questioned.

Their bias is to push fossil fuels, privatize healthcare, and push for private education. Not one person I know takes them seriously.

Here is just one article on what educators think of them.

https://pressprogress.ca/professiona...er-should-you/

Old 11-13-2021, 04:28 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The Fraser Institute is seen as a very biased think tank. Their methodology on many subjects has been questioned.

Their bias is to push fossil fuels, privatize healthcare, and push for private education. Not one person I know takes them seriously.

Here is just one article on what educators think of them.

https://pressprogress.ca/professiona...er-should-you/
I love how you guys are questioning a source as biased using sources with “progressive” in its name and/or mission statement - not that it is germane to this discussion, mind you. I used the source to provide the additional cost to taxpayers per child for the subsidized daycare. While the report and it’s conclusions may or may not have been biased the figures were based on numbers provided by the Quebec government. Those costs are numbers, they are what they are, regardless of political bias. Surely you are not accusing the Quebec government of providing false numbers.....

Regardless, the Fraser Institute is not the topic, subsidized daycare is the topic.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:20 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
I have to wonder why Americans are so focussed on Quebec policies.

Oh look let's try and find something else to divert from the fact we have nothing of value to offer up here?

Old 11-13-2021, 08:59 PM

219 posts, read 161,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGurlHeather View Post
Let's do the math. 6 billion divided by 37,000 equals $162,000 per child... That's some gosh darn expensive kids..
As the first line of the Global News article states, it's $6 billion over 5 years. So approximately $32,432 per child per year assuming it only serves 37,000 children.

But that ignores the fact that Quebec is intending to take some of this funding as reimbursement for costs already paid out of the Province's coffers so that changes the equation.

Also, according to the 2nd article posted, the 10,000 unionized daycare workers would like to see their wages increased by about $4.00/hour. If that comes to pass, you are spending an additional $40,000/hour if all 10,000 workers are on shift at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies