Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the United States take military action if China invades Taiwan?
yes 93 43.66%
no 120 56.34%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 01:15 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,220,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's not our aircraft carriers that China needs to fear, it's our subs. Hard to maintain a naval blockade when your fleet is a coral reef.
Does China not have subs?

Old 10-05-2021, 01:26 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,799,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
What about the Cuban missile crisis?... history is important. Taiwan abandoned it's nuke program at our request back in the 70's.
Big mistake. The fear of mutual destruction is what keeps the world safe. In Taiwan's case, nukes would certainly keep the CCP at bay.

Old 10-05-2021, 01:28 PM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Absolutely not.

Sick of being the world's policeman.

Biden voters: this is also on you.
In addition to all the rest of the damage that this menace is doing.

WHAT's on Biden voters, stuff that has yet to happen?

Old 10-05-2021, 01:33 PM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought China is the world's biggest supplier of rare earth elements used in the semi conductor industry ?

Is Taiwan?

Old 10-05-2021, 01:44 PM

8,577 posts, read 10,997,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
There is nothing to defend because this is a hypothetical what if. The poster is complaining about people that were put in place during the last administration by a President that what more concerned with his own business interest than the countries.

You think any country feared Mr dump & run as he demonstrated with our allies while embracing our enemies, spare me. We just had 4 years of every thing wrong being blamed on their previous administration, they don't get a pass now that the mess they left is coming to a boil.
The way you express your beliefs is as though the whole mess regarding china started with Trump.

Are you old enough to remember when the island called Taiwan, was called the Republic of Formosa?
Read the history of this tiny island, and hopefully you will understand the issues had absolutely nothing to do with Trump.
This island has been involved in conflict as far back as the fifteen hundreds.
I don't think Trump was around then, unless in a prior life.

Old 10-05-2021, 01:52 PM

19,259 posts, read 17,129,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The way you express your beliefs is as though the whole mess regarding china started with Trump.

Are you old enough to remember when the island called Taiwan, was called the Republic of Formosa?
Read the history of this tiny island, and hopefully you will understand the issues had absolutely nothing to do with Trump.
This island has been involved in conflict as far back as the fifteen hundreds.
I don't think Trump was around then, unless in a prior life.
And the way most respondents post its every argument of us vs them must be brought in every single time. Try reading the messages and what my responses were towards, as for the history lesson save it I'm older than you think and I remember when we dropped Taiwan for recognition of Red China..

Old 10-05-2021, 01:58 PM

8,577 posts, read 10,997,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And the way most respondents post its every argument of us vs them must be brought in every single time. Try reading the messages and what my responses were towards, as for the history lesson save it I'm older than you think and I remember when we dropped Taiwan for recognition of Red China..
Well, I guess you know you can't pin this Taiwan thing on Trump then.

Old 10-05-2021, 02:16 PM

19,259 posts, read 17,129,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Well, I guess you know you can't pin this Taiwan thing on Trump then.
I never said it could, besides he worked to hard to expand his business interest there during his Presidency wouldn't want him and Ivanka to lose all that money...

Old 10-05-2021, 03:14 PM

19,069 posts, read 27,648,953 times
People, have mercy.
The USA does not have strength left enough to go hot confrontation with China.
Also, don’t forget that the USA has a huge 5th column inside the country. With never broken allegiance to their motherland.

Old 10-05-2021, 03:38 PM

1,882 posts, read 654,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Taiwan literally consists of Chinese who lost the Chinese Civil War and hid on the island with American naval support.

In 1947 there was basically no difference between China and Taiwan. They were the same country. But yes, Taiwan has been a semi-western country since then, while China is run by the CCP.

Taiwan doesn't want to be controlled by the CCP any more than Hong Kong wants to be controlled by the CCP. Hong Kong is culturally-distinct from China in pretty much exactly the same way that Taiwan is.

China took Hong Kong, and it will take Taiwan. Both are China, and the United States will never recognize their independence.
If you visit Taiwan and mainland China, you WILL see the differences in the people and the culture.

Nation: A collection of people with a shared heritage.

State: A group that leads a people.

Before the state of Israel, world Jewry is a people with no state and country.

At what point do we say there is a 'country' even if not formally? Taiwan have its own government, currency, culture, and even foreign affairs. Taiwan fits all of the above criteria and over time, that perception inevitably grows. That is why China works so hard at pressuring other countries not to publicly declare Taiwan is an independent country.

Taiwan do not need to declare independence to threaten the status quo. Changing the name to 'Republic of Taiwan' would be %99.999 equivalent. That would be a formal renunciation to the claim of all of mainland China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies