Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 06:33 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I don't disagree, as long as they don't come back and ask big daddy government to bail them out afterwards. Also as long as providers offer options that have nothing to do with woke foolishness. Political/social ideology has no place in investment in my book. I invest on risk-adjusted returns ONLY.

Also, last I checked, that insolvent ponzi scheme that is social security wasn't optional. At least my 401k is in my name, no one can redirect my investments, and is not a ponzi scheme.
SS is an insurance program and not a ponzi scheme, people throw that around and all it tells me is their degree of financial illiteracy.

Actually, it's OASDI and if you do not know what those letters stand for then you need to learn more before going all "ponzi scheme".

OASDI will not go insolvent, it will be funded with any combination of higher taxes or reduced benefits....but that voting segment is wayyyyy too lethal to be ignored by politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 06:40 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
SS is an insurance program and not a ponzi scheme, people throw that around and all it tells me is their degree of financial illiteracy.

Actually, it's OASDI and if you do not know what those letters stand for then you need to learn more before going all "ponzi scheme".

OASDI will not go insolvent, it will be funded with any combination of higher taxes or reduced benefits....but that voting segment is wayyyyy too lethal to be ignored by politicians.
Have you had to purchase a private insurance plan with a gun to your head?

Old 11-09-2021, 06:47 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:

When's the last time BlueCross put a gun to your head, forced you to buy insurance, and took it out of your paycheck?

BTW: the Social Security Trust Fund has $2.9 trillion left in it, receives $1.1 trillion in premiums, and pays out just shy of $1.1 trillion in benefits. Returns from the Trust Fund are $60 billion. No insurance Trust Fund on the face of this planet is operated like this. And social security operates more like a pension than insurance...and as far as annuity funds go, it's functionally insolvent.

If there was a social security opt-out, I'd opt out in a nanosecond, and do it without a second thought. Every time I see how much money goes to the bottomless money pit that is SSA (that ALWAYS seems to be running out of money in 15 years...surprise surprise ) on my payslip it makes my blood boil.

Last edited by albert648; 11-09-2021 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-09-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Have you had to purchase a private insurance plan with a gun to your head?
Frank, it's a government program....that means it's not a private insurance plan. So, if you can't make coherent posts then shut up.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:57 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Frank, it's a government program....that means it's not a private insurance plan. So, if you can't make coherent posts then shut up.
When backed into a corner, just call it a govt program and shazaam! now it's something else.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
When's the last time BlueCross put a gun to your head, forced you to buy insurance, and took it out of your paycheck?

BTW: the Social Security Trust Fund has $2.9 trillion left in it, receives $1.1 trillion in premiums, and pays out just shy of $1.1 trillion in benefits. Returns from the Trust Fund are $60 billion. No insurance Trust Fund on the face of this planet is operated like this. And social security operates more like a pension than insurance...and as far as annuity funds go, it's functionally insolvent.

If there was a social security opt-out, I'd opt out in a nanosecond, and do it without a second thought.
It's OASDI....not social security. You're chirping over there from the edge of the pool wearing water wings while I'm swimming in the deep end.

You're comparing a government mandated program and admit "gun to head" and then whine that it's not like private insurance.

Are you also confused why if I fired a hellfire missile on a family gathering in the US why I would go to jail while an airforce drone can do it in Afghanistan without an arrest?

Old 11-09-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When backed into a corner, just call it a govt program and shazaam! now it's something else.
Ah so now Frank thinks that OASDI is not a govt. program.

YOu have any other deep thoughts before I put you on ignore or someone puts you in a home?

Old 11-09-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
It's OASDI....not social security. You're chirping over there from the edge of the pool wearing water wings while I'm swimming in the deep end.

You're comparing a government mandated program and admit "gun to head" and then whine that it's not like private insurance.

Are you also confused why if I fired a hellfire missile on a family gathering in the US why I would go to jail while an airforce drone can do it in Afghanistan without an arrest?
I don't care what it's called, it returns 1% when the S&P 500 returns 10% and that's what I need to know about it.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:32 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
I've worked in investment management for decades (companies that managed the wealth of individuals as well as companies that created products that sell in the stock market). People have been asking for socially responsible investing for a LONG time by now. Why not provide the option if that's what people want? They can still choose investments in a 401k outside of those options.

Why would anyone want to restrict the options a person has in a 401k plan?

Old 11-09-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I've worked in investment management for decades (companies that managed the wealth of individuals as well as companies that created products that sell in the stock market). People have been asking for socially responsible investing for a LONG time by now. Why not provide the option if that's what people want? They can still choose investments in a 401k outside of those options.

Why would anyone want to restrict the options a person has in a 401k plan?
Key word: OPTION. But nothing the government regulates ends there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies