Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 02:12 PM

17,806 posts, read 13,703,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Any remarkable achievements in the course of said career? Or just another unremarkable professional baseball player?

Literally every professional baseball player in his time played under segregation. I only care about the merits that make him, Satchel Paige, remarkable. And being black and playing under segregation is not one of them.

And those achievements make him a great professional baseball player. The color of his skin has nothing to do with it.
This is a lame take. Do you want to ignore that the "Negro Leagues" actually existed?

Oh that's right. You guys don't even want to admit that slavery existed. Much less the negro leagues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 02:14 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is a lame take. Do you want to ignore that the "Negro Leagues" actually existed?

Oh that's right. You guys don't even want to admit that slavery existed. Much less the negro leagues.
It's possible to acknowledge that slavery existed and not bring it up in every single conversation.

So did Paige have any remarkable achievements? Because in my book, that makes a great person. What makes him in particular worth celebrating over every other person who played professional baseball in his time? And playing in the Negro league ain't it.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:17 PM

3,649 posts, read 3,786,423 times
I wonder if joe would have objected to Satchell Paige going to school with his kids? You know, he was worried about them going to school in a "racial jungle." His words.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:23 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
He was just monkeying around.

Monkeying around????

He told the same story to the Pope after he gave him a Presidential Challenge Coin and, either before or after he pooped his pants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIquiDG-rtc

Brandon covers all ofhis bases..He did what he was told and changed negro to African American.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:27 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,484,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
But as bad as that -- in the minds of most people under the age of 60 or so, I mean?

And saying that he has making gaffes for decades is supposed to be a good excuse?

Now, personally, I don't think calling some a Negro is nearly as bad as many other names I have heard to describe someone who is black -- but the point is that many blacks object to being referred to as Negro now, and any self-respecting liberal, at least, would respect that.

But that being said, if it was an isolated case or one of several gaffes over the past year, I would just shrug it off. Unfortunately, however, this is just a very mild gaffe, imo, compared to dozens of others gaffes Biden has made over the past two years.

I never knew Negro was objectionable, just that it was dated. In that case I don't think it should be used by a liberal or anyone else then.

Remember when Biden requested the man in a wheelchair stand up? That happened over a decade ago but if it happened now this board would have a field day.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:31 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,484,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Any remarkable achievements in the course of said career? Or just another unremarkable professional baseball player?

Literally every professional baseball player in his time played under segregation. I only care about the merits that make him, Satchel Paige, remarkable. And being black and playing under segregation is not one of them.

And those achievements make him a great professional baseball player. The color of his skin has nothing to do with it. If we want racial equality, we need to judge people on their merits, and their merits only.

Paige lived and played in an era when there wasn't anything close to racial equality, so the color of his skin and the obstacles he had to overcome are relevant.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:33 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Paige lived and played in an era when there wasn't anything close to racial equality, so the color of his skin and the obstacles he had to overcome are relevant.
So did every single professional baseball player of his time.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:36 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
I don't see the issue... He's referring to Satchel Paige as a great pitcher who pitched in the "negro leagues". That is indeed what the league was called before being merged with MLB.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:37 PM

1,265 posts, read 445,473 times
Your President the racist…..

Old 11-11-2021, 02:45 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,758 times
Did he also say he was the first clean and articulate ….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies