Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 05:32 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There will always be a few loons out there who think America should be a theocracy. I don’t see it as anything more than that.

However, it is troubling that someone who held a high position in the U.S. government would say something so un-American. Hopefully, it was a slip of the tongue.
It won't be US. It will be global.

big Big BIG picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 05:36 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Meh. Democrats worship at the church of Anthony Fauci.

At least Christ is dead and can't run the country into the ground in real time.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:54 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
I'm assuming he means something post-Jewish and pre-Muslim. Does he say which particular version of Catholic or Protestant religion he considers to be the one? There's so many choices.
And I'm assuming he means something post-Judaism and post-Islam. That puts all the monotheistic religions in one box. You can add atheism/agnosticism to that group since their beliefs (or non-beliefs) are usually about a single deity. And buddhiam and Comfucianism are more philosophical then religious.

That leaves only the more exotic beliefs, such as paganism and nature/ancestor worship on the outside. and they're usually content to be left alone.

Nothing to be alarmed about here -- save in the mindset if the ultra-Left (who can be as paranoiac as any Klansman or Bircher -- just in another direction), and need someone new to demonize from time to time.

And it wouldn't suprise me to learn that Flynn threw this one out just to watch the kiddies foul their britches -- or diapers.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:59 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And I'm assuming he means something post-Judaism and post-Islam. That puts all the monotheistic religions in one box. You can add atheism/agnosticism to that group since their beliefs (or non-beliefs) are usually about a single deity. And buddhiam and Comfucianism are more philosophical then religious.

That leaves only the more exotic beliefs, such as paganism and nature/ancestor worship on the outside. and they're usually content to be left alone.

Nothing to be alarmed about here -- save in the mindset if the ultra-Left (who can be as paranoiac as any Klansman or Bircher -- just in another direction), and need someone new to demonize from time to time.

And it wouldn't suprise me to learn that Flynn threw this one out just to watch the kiddies foul their britches -- or diapers.
Post Judaism and pre Islam is likely just referring to Christianity. Post Judaism and post Islam would just reduce to post Islam.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:28 PM

1,411 posts, read 565,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I prefer atheism to Christianity. No one kills people in the name of atheism, unlike Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and even some Buddhists in the name of their religion.

(And yes, atheists like Stalin and Pol Pot killed millions... but not in the name of atheism. BTW, the favorite trope of Hitler being atheist is wrong... he was a devout Christian.)
Hitler was baptised & raised Catholic but became very anti-religion, other than saying positive things about Islam. He was far from devout.
Himmler & Goebbels were also raised Catholic, but abandoned the faith and the odious Himmler even tried to bring back the beliefs of the ancient Teutons & Germanic tribes.
Stalin was a seminarian at one time, but decided bank robbing suited him better. His mother remained a devout Orthodox believer her whole life.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:33 PM

1,411 posts, read 565,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Interested to see how the conservatives here on City-Data feel about this.

Does the C-D Trump crowd feel that Christianity should be the one and only religion in America?
I'm a conservative, NOT a Trumper, and my answer is no.
Do people forget that, outside of the Orthodox Byzantine Empire, which was mainly Middle Eastern anyway, Western Europe followed the same Catholic religion until the Reformation?

Old 11-14-2021, 07:06 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
How do you broad brush blacks? Gay's? Left wingers? Feminists?

Just curious or are you just a lazy, sociopolitical one trick pony?
Well, next time a gay person or feminist or left winger or African American propose legislation to ban abortion or roll back gay rights or hinder voting by certain groups or try to force their religion down my throat, I’ll call them out too. But, for now it’s just the right wingers who are doing that.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:08 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
I'm a conservative, NOT a Trumper, and my answer is no.
Do people forget that, outside of the Orthodox Byzantine Empire, which was mainly Middle Eastern anyway, Western Europe followed the same Catholic religion until the Reformation?
The Western Enlightenment, which spawned Western democracy, was a secular movement that embraced logic, rational thought, math, and science.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:17 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
What he said is a bit confusing and not really clear. It's kind of open-ended. He didn't say one specific religion and God could be taken to mean a lot of things. Budda, Allah, God ... they all mean the same thing. A higher deity, although given the audience it could be inferred that he meant Christianity.

In any case, I disagree with this kind of preaching. The U.S. was founded in part on the freedom of religion or rather the freedom from religion, which at the time was the oppressive Church of England.

I think that he was largely preaching to the choir here. It's his opinion and doesn't mean much more than that. It's not going to change anything with regards to how one worships or not, and what one's beliefs are if they have any.

The "oppressive Church of England"? First, most organized religion is "oppressive," imo. Second, the Church of England has nothing on the Church of Rome when it comes to oppression. That's another topic.

Since his surname is Flynn, he might mean the Roman Catholic Church. It would make sense, because Roman Catholics are taught that Roman Catholicism is the one true religion, and that followers of other religions are heathens.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:19 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Yes, most do.

What Flynn is advocating -- on the sly -- is an official state religion like the Church of England where the monarch (or president) is head of church. This would also mean only one sect of Christianity, whatever that is, will be in government. This would also eventually lead to some form of racial biases, and fools be whoever thinks otherwise, in government.

We should not press Flynn. Let him talk. The more unprompted the better. Religious fanatics cannot help but reveals themselves. I hope we are wrong about him, but let him talk.

Flynn is an Irish Catholic name, so I doubt he'd be advocating for the Church of England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies