Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Had Arbery been armed, would he have been right to defended himself?
Yes 29 93.55%
No 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 11:08 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,537,709 times

Advertisements

The trial of his killers is going on now. For a recap, Ahmaud was a black man that was out jogging. Neighbors in the area (supposedly) didn't recognize him, and confronted him. They were armed and the incident ended up with Ahmaud being shot and killed.

Now-my hypothetical question for those on the left, and especially for those that whined and cried over the Rittenhouse decision. Lets say Arbery had been carrying a concealed handgun on his jog. And when confronted by armed men, used it to defend himself from the perceived threat-would you support his choice? Why or why not? He'd have had as much (or little) reason to be in that neighborhood as Kyle did in Kenosha. If you deny the right to self defense to one-why not the other? Certainly Rittenhouse was in greater perceived danger, since he wasn't facing 3 men, but an enraged mob.

BTW, in my opinion, it is beyond question-Arbery had every right to defend his life. As did Rittenhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 11:12 AM

20,467 posts, read 12,395,607 times
im not a leftist and i dont mean to derail your hypothetical, but I can answer this question from the perspective of the progressive.

the hypothetical doesnt apply because defending yourself isnt the issue. They will say that Arbery would be justified because he was attacked.

Kyle wasnt justified because he was attacked by progressives who were rioting and they want to protect rioters who are rioting if the rioting is on behalf of a progressive political position. (this is really what the Rittenhouse thing was all about).

IMHO, Arbery was murderd..... and would have been justified using deadly force if he had been armed. (but I am not a progressive and dont believe people get to attack other people.)

Old 11-22-2021, 11:24 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezBeerNutz View Post
Well for Arbery’s situation to match up with Kyle, there would already have to be a tense volatile situation like a riot happening that Arbery has nothing to do with, but inserted himself into with a gun.
And Arbery would have had to have worked in the area, had family members there and had been asked to help protect property there, which applied to Kyle.

Each case should be judged on its own merits, not media propaganda.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:38 AM

1,158 posts, read 962,446 times
Hate to burst your bubble OP, but many people on the left own guns and believe in self defense too...It's a shame Arbery was not armed that day.

My issue with Rittenhouse is a 17 year old can't vote, buy cigarettes or alcohol legally, get married or join the military. So if a minor is not mature enough to do any of those things -- WTF should they be allowed to carry an AR15 in public??? Where the hell were his parents at??? Sounds like his parents are both pretty neglectful to me...My 17 year old is not going down to a riot and especially not with any of our guns. That kid is going to keep getting in trouble - mark my words.

Last edited by Angie682; 11-22-2021 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-22-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
And Arbery would have had to have worked in the area, had family members there and had been asked to help protect property there, which applied to Kyle.

Each case should be judged on its own merits, not media propaganda.
And have spent the time cleaning up vandalism, providing first aid to victims and putting out arson fires.

I mean, after all, this wasn't his neighborhood-why was he there? [\sarcasm]

Old 11-22-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Hate to burst your bubble OP, but many people on the left own guns and believe in self defense too...

My issue with Rittenhouse is a 17 year old can't vote, buy cigarettes or alcohol legally, get married or join the military. So if a minor is not mature enough to do any of those things -- WTF should they be allowed to carry an AR15 in public??? Where the hell were his parents at??? Duh...
And that has to do with what, exactly? His age doesn't preclude his right to defend his life from multiple, vicious criminal attacks. BTW, not positive, but I think 17 YOs can join the military-at worst he was only a few months from his 18th birthday.

Now, can we get on point? Should Arbery have been able to defend his life (had he had the means)? He didn't live in that neighborhood, didn't have relatives there (as Rittenhouse did in Kenosha).

Old 11-22-2021, 04:25 PM

I'm shocked I tell you. After page after page, comment after comment from some of our resident leftists denouncing Kyle Rittenhouse for defending his life with a firearm, I have to say, I expected them to be consistent, and vote NO on Arbery's exercising that same right. Yet we have no progressives participating in the conversation and attacking pro-self-defense people that are supporting his right to do so. Odd how that is, isn't it? A group that never misses an opportunity to attack those that protect themselves...refuse to do so in this (admittedly hypothetical) case? I was really hoping that they would participate and explain why Arbery should not be allowed to defend his life...because, frankly, I don't understand their logic. At least we have one voter that seems to be consistent though, in both cases.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:21 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,807 times
given grammatical pity and the fact I'm not a liberal, I can't honestly answer this weird question.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:24 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,238,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The trial of his killers is going on now. For a recap, Ahmaud was a black man that was out jogging. Neighbors in the area (supposedly) didn't recognize him, and confronted him. They were armed and the incident ended up with Ahmaud being shot and killed.

Now-my hypothetical question for those on the left, and especially for those that whined and cried over the Rittenhouse decision. Lets say Arbery had been carrying a concealed handgun on his jog. And when confronted by armed men, used it to defend himself from the perceived threat-would you support his choice? Why or why not? He'd have had as much (or little) reason to be in that neighborhood as Kyle did in Kenosha. If you deny the right to self defense to one-why not the other? Certainly Rittenhouse was in greater perceived danger, since he wasn't facing 3 men, but an enraged mob.

BTW, in my opinion, it is beyond question-Arbery had every right to defend his life. As did Rittenhouse.
Arbery was out for a simple jog. Rittenhouse crossed the state line with an AR looking to use it.

Not even close to a comparable situation. That said, I wish Arbery had pulled a sawed-off 12 gauge and smoked all three of the racist clowns.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:25 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times
I'm not on the left but I voted yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies