Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 08:00 PM

325 posts, read 207,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ196 View Post
Anyone else looking for a new place for donations?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/salva...r-their-racism

I assume they will also use the donations based on race and not need. Like some others are already doing.

Absolutely looking elsewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 09:28 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I have not stepped a foot into a Goodwill location to donate after the local manager took a small present I gave an employee out of her hand in front of me. She helped me with directions on my second day in Small Town USA. A box of candy with a bow. No wrapping paper as I was a stranger.
Goodwill has received huge donations so it is annoying when they want to keep my change for a $5 purchase from a $20 bill. Their cashiers make me feel like it is a tug of war over my change. One day I asked about the large donations and the cashier said that all goes to corporate - apparently, they want some for themselves.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:31 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Wait till you are forced by the US Government to pay reparations for your ancestors sins. It’s coming eventually and there is not a damn thing you can do to stop it. Nothing.
Sure, we can pay reparations as soon as the thugs pay us restitution for their current and past looting, burning, murders, and decades of special benefits and on and on - they just don't stop crying for more.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:45 PM

2,450 posts, read 973,292 times
Sad that the Salvation Army went woke. Now, hopefully, they will go broke. It's a pity because this "white racist devil" donated goods on a regular basis for years to them. That ends today.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:28 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
Quote:

I assume they will also use the donations based on race and not need. Like some others are already doing.
The newswire article is a gross mischaracterization of what the Salvation Army's discussion guide and associated materials are for.
I'm certain that the author has some unspoken agenda, but darned if I can figure out why he did this.
Nowhere in there is anything whatsoever about donors, nor is there anything about trying to make other white people do anything.

From the very first page of the guide:
[quote]The attached document is a voluntary discussion guide from the International Salvation Army. The tool has been provided through the International Social Justice Commission and is designed to stimulate gracious discussion among Salvationists who choose to participate. [\QUOTE]

and also this:
Quote:
This discussion guide represents The Salvation Army’s desire for internal
dialogue. It is not a position or policy statement, and it does not replace,
supersede, or act as an addendum to The Salvation Army’s International
Positional Statement, which can be found here
If you're at all interested in what the Salvation Army's position on racism, then you should read this.
The Salvation Army’s International Positional Statement

The word "white" and "black" are nowhere found in there. There is no call for apologies from anyone.
There is no mention of the United States, America, nor systemic racism.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:38 PM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Here's what the Salvation Army has to say about it:

I don't donate to them anyway so whatever.
Do you have a link for this statement? I looked on their website but couldn't find it.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:45 PM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
The newswire article is a gross mischaracterization of what the Salvation Army's discussion guide and associated materials are for.
I'm certain that the author has some unspoken agenda, but darned if I can figure out why he did this.
Nowhere in there is anything whatsoever about donors, nor is there anything about trying to make other white people do anything.

From the very first page of the guide:
"The attached document is a voluntary discussion guide from the International Salvation Army. The tool has been provided through the International Social Justice Commission and is designed to stimulate gracious discussion among Salvationists who choose to participate."

and also this:

If you're at all interested in what the Salvation Army's position on racism, then you should read this.
The Salvation Army’s International Positional Statement

The word "white" and "black" are nowhere found in there. There is no call for apologies from anyone.
There is no mention of the United States, America, nor systemic racism.
The discussion guide talks about White Supremacy and Structural Racism and a host of other things that, collectively, blame white people for racism and define everyone else as being victims of it. One could argue that it runs counter to the Army's official position statement on racism, because it blames one group (white people) for racism instead of admitting (as the position statement does) that "racism is present in all people and all societies."

Old 11-26-2021, 11:43 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:

Here is your article. In it, there is a direct link to the "internal guide PDF" that the Salvation army gives to their employees. I've looked over some of it.

Salvation Army Wants White Donors To Offer ‘Sincere Apology’ For Their Racism

Quote:
In an accompanying Study Guide on Racism, the Salvation Army says whites are racist. “The subtle nature of racism is such that people who are not consciously racist easily function with the privileges, empowerment and benefits of the dominant ethnicity, thus unintentionally perpetuating injustice,” it says.

“We must stop denying the existence of individual and systemic/institutional racism. They exist, and are still at work to keep White Americans in power,” the lesson says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Thank you for posting this, I will call my local donation center to express my disgust and avoid their bell ringers. Why aren't they being public about their position, what could they be so ashamed of?

So exactly when will White America get an apology and restitution for all the decades of welfare, affirmative action, riots, burning looting we have been forced to pay for? Just look to what is happening in our large cities to high end retails stores being destroyed. The more you reward bad behavior, the more you will get.

Going forward, I would rather burn my donations than support those who burn our cities.

Well said Heidi. Enough is enough. Times have changed for the better for people of color in my 56 years of life but to see news stories these days it feels like the world is supposed to keep paying for mistakes of people from 60 to100 years ago.

I personally had nothing to do with it. My family has only been in the US since the late 50's.

There was a time that white people were slaves too yet that isn't spoken about. White people are also discriminated against, look at all of the "Karen" jokes going for the last few years because of something a person who feels entitled did.

A few months ago, I came across a video about "white privilege" between 2 people of color. The woman is telling the guy about white privilege when he turns the tables on her to talk about black privilege, such as how there are black colleges as well as colleges, like the one she went to, that have to accept a certain number of minority groups. It is how she got accepted to that college.

I'm not big on videos to begin with, this one was worth watching.

INSTITUTIONAL RACISM, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, & WHITE PRIVILEGE: Get Over It!

Quote:
“And as we engage in conversations about race and racism, we must keep in mind that sincere repentance and apologies are necessary if we want to move towards racial reconciliation. We recognize that it is a profound challenge to sit on the hot seat and listen with an open heart to the hurt and anger of the wounded. Yet, we are all hardwired to desire justice and fairness, so the need to receive a sincere apology is necessary,” said the resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Most of the Salvation Army local branches are not rated by Charity Navigator. That is very telling about their financial integrity.

Don't get me started on the large organizations like the Salvation Army, Red Cross and various cancer charities. Both the Salvation Army and Red Cross fell short with Sandy. They misuse funds raised for single events, I've also heard of their huge waste of things like food.

People donate thousands of dollars thinking it goes directly to the needy but the fact is that most of it is used to pay staff. The other "big ticket item" goes to advertising or hand out materials to let people know about their charity.

The Red Cross really needs to separate the blood business from their donation business so people can see how much money they make selling donated blood products. That's one of my biggest gripes about them.

I've called the National cancer society for help when my dad had cancer, also the Leukemia/Lymphoma society, was not given any help. They told me that they do not help like that.

When my hub needed hearing aids due to oral cancer, I contacted the oral cancer foundation to see if they had a program, was told no.

What exactly these "charities" do is beyond me except advertise to get more donations. I'd like a charity that actually helps people affected.

Even those hair donation organizations like locks of love, they do not give human hair wigs to cancer patients, those are given to alopecia sufferers. I know a lot of people who have tried to "donate hair" but apparently they did not read before doing it that they require a certain length in order to use the hair. They get rid of a lot of donations due to the lack of people reading before cutting their hair to send off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Here is more information, a good read:

Nakano went on to write, "Until the TSA admits its error, denounces these woke views and turns back to its original foundations, I will NOT support it—financially or otherwise. There are other Christian organizations I can send my donations to, just as deserving and NOT politically subservient to the woke mob."

https://www.newsweek.com/salvation-a...iative-1645658
Your article mentions a petition called stand against the insertion of politically charged racial ideologies into The Salvation Army's good work for anyone that wants to sign it. They only have 13,207 signers. They're hoping for 25,000.

Salvation Army's Donors Withdraw Support in Response to Racial 'Wokeness' Initiative

Quote:
As The Salvation Army launches its Red Kettle Campaign this holiday season, some of its long-time donors are withdrawing their support from the 156-year old charitable organization citing its newly embraced "woke" ideology as the reason.

Of great concern to loyal supporters and faithful Salvationists is the initiative dubbed "Let's Talk About Racism." In a nutshell, its curriculum outlines the Christian church's alleged racial collusion and provides action steps to analyze and combat racism through an "anti-racist" lens while incorporating Critical Race Theory.

The Salvation Army has been a leader in confronting racism long before the rest of the country and over five decades before the civil rights movement. And they're asking why then should members of an organization built by the Christian faith to actually assist people of all races in need, be repentant of behavior they never perpetuated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Here's what the Salvation Army has to say about it:

Quote:
Though we remain committed to serving everyone in need—regardless of their beliefs, their backgrounds, or their lifestyle—recently some individuals and groups have attempted to mislabel our organization to serve their own agenda(s). They have made outrageous claims that we believe our donors should apologize for their own racism, that The Salvation Army believes America is an inherently racist society, and that our organization has abandoned its beliefs for one ideology or another. In fact, an online petition is asking supporters to “stand against the insertion of politically charged racial ideologies into The Salvation Army’s good work.”

Those claims are false, and they distort the very goal of our work.
I don't donate to them anyway so whatever.

Below is a link to the quote you posted where they're denying it. Whatever, like no one expected them to say something like that.

I also have not donated to them, the Red Cross and a few other organizations for some time.

Back when Stand Up to Cancer started we donated there but I have not kept up with what they do. I liked that the donations went to setting up dream teams to work on various cancers.

The Salvation Army's Response to False Claims on the Topic of Racism

Old 11-27-2021, 06:06 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
There must be increased competition for donations in this economic climate. I didn't realize SA wasn't listed with Charity Navigator. I do use Charity Navigator and find it helpful.

Old 11-27-2021, 07:02 AM

979 posts, read 418,174 times
One reason I stopped donating was because I found out how much money some of these people make off their charities. They do very well.

Plus, I never know exactly where my donated money or clothes are going.

Another reason: The times I've donated food and clothes directly to the needy, they didn't seem very appreciative. Came off more as entitled.

So, now, I tip deserving people appropriately to well and I help family.

I don't give on the street.

Last edited by henrychen; 11-27-2021 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies