Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 04:35 PM

10,486 posts, read 7,014,991 times

Advertisements

Trumps second term (very possible), it could be on his agenda and could happen. Mette Frederiksen (anti-immigrant Social Democrat) who opposed the discussion will likely be set to leave during Trumps second term.

For the US it would be a cache of natural resources and of course the Danes receive a place to Holiday.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:46 PM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Puerto Rico ?

Is this being bundled with bad mortgages too? No thanks.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:50 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Trumps second term (very possible), it could be on his agenda and could happen. Mette Frederiksen (anti-immigrant Social Democrat) who opposed the discussion will likely be set to leave during Trumps second term.

For the US it would be a cache of natural resources and of course the Danes receive a place to Holiday.

Why would Denmark sell Greenland?

Indeed, could Denmark even sell Greenland?

An interesting article that Mr. Trump, of course, never read:

https://theconversation.com/greenlan...nialism-122193

Greenland would have to 'sell itself', with the agreement of the citizens. Think about that: would the citizens of Greenland agree to 'swap' their land for Puerto Rico? Are you suggesting that the citizens of Puerto Rico and Greenland would swap places?

Plus, the citizens of Puerto Rico are American citizens. They would have some say.

I have no doubt that Mr. Trump, if he became President again (which I have said in other threads is not likely, for he makes too much money grifting off of the possibility of running again and would rather be a Kingmaker) will propose silly things, but I doubt he would go back to that dry well.

We might as well start a thread asking whether the United States would be willing to 'sell' Mississippi to some other country, in exchange for a province of said country.

Mississippi for a slice of Sweden? I'm listening........

Old 12-03-2021, 05:31 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,233 times
cant imagine Denmark would agree to Puerto Rico for greenland, but Im certainly for selling California back to Mexico.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:35 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,153,716 times
Just drag Greenland far south enough to grow palm trees.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:55 PM

13,467 posts, read 4,301,426 times
Somebody need to take American Civics. A President can't do treaties, buy land or admit new territories. That's Congress and I mean House and Senate and the most important thing, the U.S. Supreme Court already declared that U.S. Congress can't involuntarily take U.S. Citizenship away. You have to give it up for another one, free will and the U.S. is not in the business of giving real estate away but thanks for the laugh.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Why would Denmark sell Greenland?

Indeed, could Denmark even sell Greenland?

An interesting article that Mr. Trump, of course, never read:

https://theconversation.com/greenlan...nialism-122193

Greenland would have to 'sell itself', with the agreement of the citizens. Think about that: would the citizens of Greenland agree to 'swap' their land for Puerto Rico? Are you suggesting that the citizens of Puerto Rico and Greenland would swap places?

Plus, the citizens of Puerto Rico are American citizens. They would have some say.

I have no doubt that Mr. Trump, if he became President again (which I have said in other threads is not likely, for he makes too much money grifting off of the possibility of running again and would rather be a Kingmaker) will propose silly things, but I doubt he would go back to that dry well.

We might as well start a thread asking whether the United States would be willing to 'sell' Mississippi to some other country, in exchange for a province of said country.

Mississippi for a slice of Sweden? I'm listening........
Silly article. Puerto Ricans are only citizens by a law however they have never homogenized to American culture still bearing a different culture and language.
America never asked or wanted Puerto Rico but was handed to us a part of winning a war. The population of PR is a total fraction of a percentage of Americans, and the nation of PR have never paid Federal taxes. 57k people live in Greenland speaking English and share native languages with Alaskans.

What does Greenland offer Denmark? Not much. US would use Greenland for mining and a military base to Asia.

Greenlanders.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Somebody need to take American Civics. A President can't do treaties, buy land or admit new territories. That's Congress and I mean House and Senate and the most important thing, the U.S. Supreme Court already declared that U.S. Congress can't involuntarily take U.S. Citizenship away. You have to give it up for another one, free will and the U.S. is not in the business of giving real estate away but thanks for the laugh.
Wrong. The President is basically the only person who can do treaties and only needs 67 Senators to agree (not even congress). Also precedent has already been made with Thomas Jefferson and the Louisiana purchase. Andrew Jackson purchasing Alaska with 2/3 approval of the Senate.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
This is a pointless thread. We will never unload all of those American citizens in PR.

There is not even a 1% chance of this happening.

That said, I would be in favor of it.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:09 PM

13,467 posts, read 4,301,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Silly article. Puerto Ricans are only citizens by a law however they have never homogenized to American culture still bearing a different culture and language.
America never asked or wanted Puerto Rico but was handed to us a part of winning a war. The population of PR is a total fraction of a percentage of Americans, and the nation of PR have never paid Federal taxes. 57k people live in Greenland speaking English and share native languages with Alaskans.

What does Greenland offer Denmark? Not much. US would use Greenland for mining and a military base to Asia.

Greenlanders.
I didn't know the U.S. has a unique culture and language. Tell that to California. Most of the cities and towns are in Spanish and millions of citizens speak Spanish in the state and there is no law that prevents any citizen in speaking any language they want or practice whatever culture they want.

Puerto Rico pays federal taxes but not income unless you work for the federal government in the territory. There are many federal taxes and tariffs the U.S. collects other than income but then again they are not allowed to vote for President or Congress but have to obey all federal laws. That's a fair exchange.

Since when the U.S. does a popular election and ask their citizens to go to war, expand territories and take land? I didn't know the U.S. did that 37 times for the territories and then later states. Ask your permission.

You are 104 years late. The debate to make Puerto Rico a U.S. territory and make them U.S. Citizens was decided and passed in 1917. If you have any objections then you should take a time machine and make your case in the U.S. Congress. It wouldn't matter because it was passed with a super majority in the House and Senate. So your opinion would be like today, worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies