Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 02:46 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
But in reality most Millennials are not experiencing anything of the sort.

The irony is you guys basically are latter day Boomers. Back in the 60s, they too screamed about the system, declared everyone was against them, burned things, shouted at their parents who had fought WWII, and generally stated it was all hopeless and devoid of meaning.

Yea. Sure it was.
One thing that I will say is that today's workers, I guess that would be Millennials and Gen Z, would go home crying every day after work if we Boomers gave them half the **** the unadulterated pricks that were our bosses, who were from the Greatest Generation, gave us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 03:06 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBeerSolid View Post
You know, it’s funny because you guys grew up in a different era. I cannot take that away fron you. But your coming from a different time than us. You never came up during the 2000s-2010s. You were set by then.
What during that time ( 2000s-2010s ) do you think shaped you or affected you so much?

BTW, we did live through those years too, in addition to things like the Korean War, the draft, the useless Viet Nam war (yes it really was on the TV news every night, including video of dead bodies), the 1960s marches and race riots, shooting of student protestors at Ohio State, etc etc etc. There were a lot of traumatic events throughout our lives.

Last edited by ansible90; 12-15-2021 at 03:27 PM..

Old 12-15-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
You know, it’s funny because you guys grew up in a different era. I cannot take that away fron you. But your coming from a different time than us. You never came up during the 2000s-2010s. You were set by then.
No we weren't. Most of us were in our 40's and 50's and putting kids through college. I, anecdotally, was paying my mother's property taxes and trying to figure out how to pay for assisted living for her. We were, maybe mid-career if we hadn't been right sized multiple times. I was a teacher and it wasn't until my 19th or 20th year that I didn't have to worry about RIFs. This was in a school district that grew 10%+ a year.

You guys always, and I mean always, ignore the economic shambles we grew in to starting in the early 1970's (as a note, 6% inflation was considered good because it was so low).

Serial recessions, serial oil shortages, double digit inflation, double digit interest rates, college loans at market rate plus because they were considered personal loans that weren't guaranteed, the collapse of entire
industries, the jobs for which never came back.

Unemployment payments were capped at 26 weeks with some extensions of 13 weeks if your job was offshored. And if you were offered a job you couldn't turn it down. It didn't matter what it was or what the pay, if you rejected a job offer Unemployment stopped.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:51 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:

And you never dealt with being drafted for Vietnam, double oil shocks, Stagflation, and Watergate.

That's another problem with your ilk. If it didn't happen 5 minutes ago, you have no concept of it.

Some advice: It's not about YOU. Nobody likes a self-centered crybaby. Except for other crybabies. And even then, not for very long.

Set by then. LOL! Yea sure, no Boomers or Xers ever have any problems.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:17 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Not denying your hardships. Not denying that boomers faced recessions along with the rest of us. The recession was a huge blow. I remember it. And we were barely entering the workforce by then. I remember it was hard to find a job. Only finding entey level jobs that wanted 3 years experience. We watched thr rich get off unscathed. We’re seeing it again now. Now GenZ sees it.

https://bemiston.com/ok-boomer-how-t...r-millennials/

A good explanation:
https://bemiston.com/ok-boomer-how-t...r-millennials/
Sorry, not reading the nonsense in the links you posted. But I will respond to your actual experience that you posted. You had trouble finding your first job. I can remember several times during my life where good jobs, or any jobs, were scarce.

It goes in cycles. You happened to hit one of the bad cycles just as you were starting out. I can remember hitting one of those bad job cycles after I did have experience. Was unemployed for 9 months and my savings were down to almost nothing left by the time I finally found a new job. Then I had to start worrying about building up an emergency fund as well as money for retirement, since I had neither.

Again, the economy and the jobs always go in cycles. You sock away the money in good times and hope for the best in bad times.

Next...

Added. Don't worry about the rich. They will always be there and will always have the advantages. Unless you are the next Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos, don't worry about it. You can live a nice comfortable life on your own merits and hard work.

Last edited by ansible90; 12-15-2021 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-19-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossCT View Post
As with a lot of such comparisons, you're simply focusing on highly subjective stuff. The evidence shows economic condition and working conditions are worse, and that millennials are basically a "lost generation" in ways the boomers weren't. Its not just a case of whining between generations. Obviously you're correct that petty complaining and whining isn't the solution.
Nonsense. When Boomers started their first jobs, all kinds of regimentation and formalities were the norm. Sexism and racism were largely ignored. Dress codes were strict. Getting yourself fired was pretty easy with little of the recourse you have today.

Fast forward to now, and many employees- including not a few Millennials- are demanding- DEMANDING- that they be allowed to work remotely. Benefits are much more generous than they were even when I entered the work force in the late 80s. You can wear whatever you want, grow your hair, and even claim that you are a girl even if you are a guy.

Sure, Pensions have gone the way of the dodo bird, but who cares? The 401(K) is better. And you do not have to devote your lifetime to one company- I don't see your crowd wanting to do that anymore than mine.

And no, you are no a lost generation. You are a generation that has embraced hysteria and revel in the cult of victimhood.

This is you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_T-JcsS33g

Old 12-19-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, but how much was their starting pay, adjusted for inflation? An unskilled job would allow a boomer to buy a house, own a car, and raise a family. Outsourcing wasn't a thing and corporations offered things like pensions, which ensured loyalty.

Its one thing if your boss "seems tough" but the job offers you economic security and a high quality of life, versus one where the employees are treated like they're disposable and will be outsourced at the first opportunity. And I think you may be mistaken if you think bosses and employers are now never manipulative or sociopathic. Even if it probably appears different than say, a stereotypical masculine boss of greatest generation.

Again, this isn't to complain ceaselessly. Politically, I think this is something the few populist Democrats like Bernie Sanders were right about, and maybe earlier Democrats like FDR. We don't need to blame wealthy business owners, or but society works better if the government invests in social capital and ensures a minimum level of economic security.
You don't have a clue. Adjusted for inflation my first wage in a factory of $4.35/hour would be $19.95 today. That was a union shop. Non-union manufacturing workers typically started around $3.00 to $3.50 an hour, so $13.76 to $16.05 today.

As far as economic security goes ask all the Baby Boom steelworkers, coal miners, auto workers, glass container company employees, injection molding plastic workers, railroaders, plus dozens more jobs that got off shored by the Greatest Generation executives in charge then about their "job security".

Here's a newsflash for you about pensions: at their greatest extent, call it 1964, pensions only covered less than 40% of workers. Just coincidentally the vast majority of people covered by pensions also worked in those jobs I listed above that either no longer exist or, if they do, employ a small fraction than forty years ago.

Another thing you totally ignore, as do many people, is that starting in, let's say the mid 1970's, the US labor force essentially doubled in size when women began entering the labor force in large numbers, especially in jobs they previously would not be hired for. You know that old thing about higher supply lowering prices?

Last edited by North Beach Person; 12-19-2021 at 03:16 PM..

Old 12-20-2021, 12:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
I never understood the anti-millennial animus some boomers have. It seemed to become a fashionable trend ever since millennials came of age. Lets just assume its true that millennials are "whiners" and "snowflakes." Is it still a good thing that they are relatively immiserated, and indebted, and that future generations are worse off than baby boomers?

They were largely raised by boomers, so if they've largely failed to become healthy, independent adults, that do as well as their parents, the boomers themselves must bear a large part of the blame.
I don't see this, with our 3 kids being millennials, and 4 of the employees that I manage. I keep hearing about the "whiners" and "snowflakes" and see them sometimes on social media & in the news, but I don't know any. I would like to think that they are in the minority. The millennials I know are hard working, paying off their student loans, buying houses and having kids just like we did. The 4 newer neighbors here are all millennial families with kids that paid $800-$1.1 million for their homes and are spending more money with updates and renovations.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't see this, with our 3 kids being millennials, and 4 of the employees that I manage. I keep hearing about the "whiners" and "snowflakes" and see them sometimes on social media & in the news, but I don't know any. I would like to think that they are in the minority. The millennials I know are hard working, paying off their student loans, buying houses and having kids just like we did. The 4 newer neighbors here are all millennial families with kids that paid $800-$1.1 million for their homes and are spending more money with updates and renovations.
I think social media like this Forum magnify the complaining voices past the actual numbers. Also, it only takes one in a prominent position, say an Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, to garner almost constant headlines to make it seem it's an entire cohort..

Old 12-20-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You're pointing out pretty subjective social stuff, that may only apply to some employers. I'd personally much rather have a strict dress code and the boomer rate of pay. Even if these changes are desirable, this is all separate from the financial and economic conditions that millennials face that boomers didn't.

Employers allowing remote work is a good thing, for a number of reasons. But this has to do with COVID, and its boomers in power who are responsible for the lockdowns and response to the pandemic, not millennials.

Were I a boomer, I would be flattered at the amount of power you seem to think I have.

But I am not. I am a charter member of Genx. And as a member of that group, please take my advice.

We all learned early on that life is simply not perfect. Everyone and all generations face their own unique dilemmas and issues. In short, life is what you make of it.

We saw the end of Vietnam, the Soviet's last gasp in Afghanistan, twin oil shocks, Watergate, and lots and lots of divorces. Crap happens.

The result is we just roll up our sleeves and get the job done. Self pity and scapegoating is for cowards and losers and who wants to be one of them?

Did the boomers really have it better? History is a very, very generous editor and you have the opaque lenses on. Personally, I don't see it. Indeed their heyday looks rather quaint.

The boomers haven't done anything to you. They don't care about you. Because it's not about you.

Please heed my advice. It will make you happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies