Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2021, 07:11 PM

14,237 posts, read 4,611,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The President of Taser Inc. has been shot with his own stun guns. Trust him if the cop had shot the guy in the legs with a taser he would have gone down 100%. Go ahead and use a gun but shoot him in the legs.

This scene demanded shoot to stop and not shoot to kill.
Firearm is a lethal tool.
Taser is a less-than lethal tool.

You don’t use a lethal tool for a situation that does not warrant lethal tool. For example, if you shoot someone in the leg with a gun then that means you believe the situation does not warrant lethal force, therefore, a firearm is not the correct tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 07:12 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,265,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I hope a nurse never gives a Patient the wrong dose of a drug or the wrong drug that kills them. She can now be tried for Manslaughter.
This has been the law for a long time. Nothing new.
Yes. A nurse must be very very careful and not make deadly mistakes.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:37 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,739,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The lack of a medium force option, i.e., kicking his punk ass, an option most male police officers have, was not available to this female officer, so the tazer was the next option.

Put a 220lb 6'1" male cop in her place and this never happens - homey just shows up at the police station with a fat lip, a few bumps on his head and an additional charge for resisting arrest.

I say anyone that can't kick the **** out of a 160lb 20-something male without having to go for a weapon shouldn't be a cop, period.
Yep, and that's the way it was for so many years while common sense was allowed to influence public policy.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:43 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,683,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The lack of a medium force option, i.e., kicking his punk ass, an option most male police officers have, was not available to this female officer, so the tazer was the next option.

Put a 220lb 6'1" male cop in her place and this never happens - homey just shows up at the police station with a fat lip, a few bumps on his head and an additional charge for resisting arrest.

I say anyone that can't kick the **** out of a 160lb 20-something male without having to go for a weapon shouldn't be a cop, period.
I'm guessing a baton would end some of these ridiculous struggles with criminals, but it seems after Rodney King these kind of went out of style.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:46 PM

13,330 posts, read 7,362,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
You are a middle aged female
The purp is a young male, has a warrant, and you are aware of his warrant
He is in the car about to drive away

What’s the other option beside from the taser?

The only way I can understand this jury is they had no understanding of the law assumed since a prosecutor charged her they must he right. Many in this thread don't even understand the law or what happened.

The prosecutor put some so called expert who said they should have let him go with a warrant, and find him later. He wasn't even a police officer he was some law school professor.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:48 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,545,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The only way I can understand this jury is they had no understanding of the law assumed since a prosecutor charged her they must he right. Many in this thread don't even understand the law or what happened.
The defense could have objected.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The defense could have objected.
They put up their own expert that is how it works what would they object to him saying just let Wright go. She got a bad jury who didn't care about the law, or the facts in the case. I'm not saying police should get away with intentional excessive force this one was not one of those times.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
They put up their own expert that is how it works what would they object to him saying just let Wright go. She got a bad jury who didn't care about the law, or the facts in the case. I'm not saying police should get away with intentional excessive force this one was not one of those times.
The problem is you have to prove it was a bad jury and for that reason, we should have a new trial. It isn't an easy decision for an appeals judge to make, unless one of the members of the jury speaks out as such.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is you have to prove it was a bad jury and for that reason, we should have a new trial. It isn't an easy decision for an appeals judge to make, unless one of the members of the jury speaks out as such.
She would have done better with a judge trial at least she would understand the law. Your right appealing have to prove something went wrong with the trial. One attorney said the closing rebuttal which the prosecutor gave went way beyond what they are suppose to be talking about. They are only suppose to rebut what the defense talked about. That might be grounds for an appeal.

I also think it would have been better if the other defense attorney gave the closing argument Paul Engh he spoke better Earl Gray kept mixing up the gun and the taser. The prosecutor put up slides of the law but Gray didn't he just spoke about what was wrong with the charges how reckless handling of a firearm had to be knowingly not an accident. The prosecutor claimed the act of pulling something is knowingly. Juries have to be spoon fed they are not attorney's really don't even understand the laws or how any of this works. They get a crash course in law and are expected to make a decision based on a jury instruction. I can see why so many people went to prison later DNA proved they were innocent. The idea of beyond a reasonable doubt level of guilt doesn't even really come into the juries mind. How could not one person have any doubt about what reckless handling of a firearm means has to be knowingly.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:58 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,748,921 times
Hasn't this poor woman suffered enough? Her career was over. She was devastated from the moment she made a mistake and endured months of mental torture no doubt. Yeah, let's make she suffers for the rest of her life for a split second mistake.

The irony I see is that Potter's skill and training as a veteran is what caused the shooting. Her instincts took over and she suddenly knew they were in danger especially when she saw the look of fear on her fellow officer's face. They don't have time to think in that moment. That's why cops won't hesistate to put you down. They've had too many moments where hesitation means you go home in a body bag from work.

Screwed up world where cops are the ones put in prison and thugs are celebrated as victims and martyrs. People cheering the verdict disgust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies