Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2021, 10:17 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I've noticed that this seems to be a rural vs urban phenomenon in many cases. In many Union states such as Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, etc. you can find Confederate flags flying or displayed on people's properties. If anything, it seems to be getting more widespread. I don't necessarily think this is a sign of support for the old CSA, but possibly just a symbol of rebellion against certain politics.

https://www.wisn.com/article/home-wi...arch/36769084#
Wow, sounds like a bunch of childish little bullies in that neighborhood. The Rebel flag is embraced as just that, a symbol of rebelliousness-for decades. We had lots of kids in my Western NY high school that had them-no one thought it had anything to do with racism in the 1970s. It's only been the last decade that the left has tried to re-write the entire meaning of that flag, and turn it into some faux symbol of racism. It's like what they always do-when they find themselves losing an argument-they cry racism. The Rebel flag, much like the Gadsden flag is a FU to an overbearing federal government. The left oppose any dissent concerning compliance with those in power. Rather than admitting it, they try to wrap themselves if some faux moral outrage and play the race card. Exactly the same type of crap they are pulling concerning vaccines.

I feel sorry for the person in the story being bullied by this bunch of thugs, wrapped in their little, racist BLM flags, threatening and intimidating him.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:32 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
I have a beer can chime with a wood rebel flag on it... does that make me a white supremist racist?

Old 12-18-2021, 10:36 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I've noticed that this seems to be a rural vs urban phenomenon in many cases. In many Union states such as Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, etc. you can find Confederate flags flying or displayed on people's properties. If anything, it seems to be getting more widespread. I don't necessarily think this is a sign of support for the old CSA, but possibly just a symbol of rebellion against certain politics.

https://www.wisn.com/article/home-wi...arch/36769084#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Wow, sounds like a bunch of childish little bullies in that neighborhood. The Rebel flag is embraced as just that, a symbol of rebelliousness-for decades. We had lots of kids in my Western NY high school that had them-no one thought it had anything to do with racism in the 1970s. It's only been the last decade that the left has tried to re-write the entire meaning of that flag, and turn it into some faux symbol of racism. It's like what they always do-when they find themselves losing an argument-they cry racism. The Rebel flag, much like the Gadsden flag is a FU to an overbearing federal government. The left oppose any dissent concerning compliance with those in power. Rather than admitting it, they try to wrap themselves if some faux moral outrage and play the race card. Exactly the same type of crap they are pulling concerning vaccines.

I feel sorry for the person in the story being bullied by this bunch of thugs, wrapped in their little, racist BLM flags, threatening and intimidating him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The Rebel flag, much like the Gadsden flag is a FU to an overbearing federal government.
Only if one is privy to the facts left out of the historians account of the CW does that make that true. Getting the power was one step, keeping it was the next steps taken, so that future generations wouldn't attempt to dismantle it.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:03 AM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
In the 5-6 Union states that were invaded by the Confederate army, including Pennsylvania, the locals did not greet them as liberators. There were more Barbara Frietchie types who certainly saw them as the enemy. Free blacks that were caught up in the invasions were seized and transported south. That was the official policy issued from Richmond and the order was distributed to Confederate soldiers by Lee at Gettysburg. So, yes, the Confederate flag does represent repression and war crimes in the north.

In general, whites in the south were not overly enthusiastic about the arrival of Union Army either but the slaves were quite happy to be liberated and the huge numbers that presented themselves became a management and logistical problem for the military. The Union Army did not tiptoe through the south but inflicted much destruction. Other damage was initiated by the retreating Confederates. War is hell.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:21 AM

13,460 posts, read 4,297,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ehm - the civilized world had been busy dismantling slavery for generations in 1860. Britain abolished the trade in 1807 and the entire institution in 1833. The Royal Navy spent life and treasure for five decades patrolling the coast of Africa to stop slavers. Mexico abolished slavery in 1829 - thousands of slaves made it to freedom by escaping south. (This also triggered the formation of the Republic of Texas, of course. They really liked owning people.) France, 1848. Denmark, 1813.

The US was dragging its feet among nations with some declared claim to Enlightenment ideals.
They did it without a war or blasting off 750,000 people to death, imagine that, getting rid off slavery by buying off the slaves of an institution they authorized for centuries. The so called civilized world started slavery thousands of years before the U.S. was founded, so I guess they get a cookie for ending it 50 years (give or take ) earlier than the U.S. That erases the count and time for thousands of years of an institution they practiced themselves.

The same civilized world started 2 World Wars that We had to bailed out. Not so civilized weren't they?

The U.S. was founded in 1776. You are upset with the U.S. because We didn't end slavery at the flick of a switch of an institution that was practiced for centuries and brought to the U.S. by these call "civilized" old world? Thanks for the laugh. Why do dead people get you so upset? You were never a slave and there is not a slave holder alive.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
In general, whites in the south were not overly enthusiastic about the arrival of Union Army either but the slaves were quite happy to be liberated and the huge numbers that presented themselves became a management and logistical problem for the military. The Union Army did not tiptoe through the south but inflicted much destruction. Other damage was initiated by the retreating Confederates. War is hell.

Why would the blacks in the South be happy to be "liberated" by the North? Did the North had a government plan of giving them a job, housing and food? did Lincoln had a GI Bill program for the slaves he only "liberated" in the South? You know he didn't. All Lincoln wanted was to win the war in inflicting massive destruction in the South and chaos to win the war and make the South so weak that they wouldn't regather again and try to leave 50 years later.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:31 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Why would the blacks in the South be happy to be "liberated" by the North?
Well, there was the entire "not being somebody's property" thing.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:37 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Actually the Democrat party is for growing big Federal Government. The Republicans are for states rights , not federal rights expanding over states.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:37 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
You are upset with the U.S. because We didn't end slavery at the flick of a switch of an institution that was practiced for centuries and brought to the U.S. by these call "civilized" old world?
Nah, I'm actually quite happy with the US at least starting to tackle the issue in the 1850s - even electing an abolitionist as president. But I harbor deep distaste for the founders of the Confederacy who were trying to create a new nation based on preserving slavery as every other civilized nation was busy dismantling it. It's not a matter of applying "modern" standards to the Confederacy. Even by their contemporary standards, they fell short.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, there was the entire "not being somebody's property" thing.
So they rather be homeless, NO shelter, no food , no medicine to be "free" up North? tell me, did Lincoln had a welfare plan or GI bill for them to educate them and train them in life up North and provide a job? what was the plan of the North once Lincoln proclaimed their "freedom"?

Like the Who song goes: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" The system owned them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies