Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2021, 08:14 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
ROFLMBAO

So go to war and get a leg blown off if not killed for rich people.

Great idea!
Believe or not, that's what happened. It may not be what you want to hear, but it happened.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:14 PM

18,498 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've heard about people in some parts of rural PA and rural NY flying Confederate flags. I find it ironic considering neither state seceded, and PA was attacked by Confederate forces.
Yes, that’s exactly where I have seen them. Some in Indiana too. I’m hoping those people think it just means “I’m a rebel!” and not something worse.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:20 PM

13,460 posts, read 4,297,780 times
Quote:
Believe or not, that's what happened. It may not be what you want to hear, but it happened.

You are not veteran, never been in a war but somehow you speak for 50,000 civilians in the South that died because (your words) they did it for the rich and deep down they wanted to owns slaves themselves. LMAO! They fought to buy a slave. I swear, I heard it all here.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:31 PM

13,460 posts, read 4,297,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
ROFLMBAO

So go to war and get a leg blown off if not killed for rich people.

Great idea!
Basically he is saying that the poor people that fought and died in the South did it for the rich and deep down they wanted to own a slave. The poor people that Lincoln sent to the South do die or get their leg blown off, they did it for humanitarian reasons and free the blacks in the South.

That's how it went down.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:48 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
The rank and file of both Union and Confederate troops did not care a whit about slavery. Yesssss I know the Confederate constitution had that provision in it preserving the institution. But bea in mind WHO wrote that constitution, The Southern aristocracy. Of course they wrote that in. There were also as many slaves on the North side of the Mason/Dixon and to the South.After and during the war feed Blacks were treated no better in the North than in the South. NYC 1863 ring any bells?

Where Lincoln's draft order coupled with the proclamation the war was being fought to free the slaves caused 3 days and night of hyper violent riots in which any Blacks unfortunate enough to be caught out on the street were lynched, stabbed, beaten, set on fire all manner of things that spoke really loudly as to Northern views on fighting to free the slaves.

Slavery was an aristocratic cause in both the North and South. The narrative that the Civil War was ALL over slavery is the accepted version that has been taught in our public schools for quite some time, and the most of folks believe it. But there's as I said earlier hundreds of other historical points that are not being taken into account. But that doesn't make them any less relevant. I was called a lia earlier in regards to that take. LOL, alrighty then. If someone wants to believe that every Union soldier marched into battle with full hearts that they were facing horrible death to free the slaves by all means believe that.

But that doesn't make it true. I will say again, I'm not taking a side with the blue or the grey. It is an historic period I have studied closely however as I portrayed and portrayed accurately both a Union and Confederate cavalry trooper for ten years in reenactment and living history. I don't do Civil War anymore. Now I do late 1860s early 1870s Western And my persona is of an actual relative of mine from that period. One who had no love for the Union even though he wore the blue in the war.

Lets be real. It sounds so noble and wonderful that the Union went to war with the sole objective of ending slavery and that every Billy in blue was filled with zeal for that cause. And that every Jonny in grey marched to battle to keep the evil of slavery alive and for that reason alone. But it just isn't so. Some take this position to mean that I'm defending the Confederate stance on slavery and it's constitutional provision to preserve it. Please. By the same token I'm not buying the Unions great and noble proclamations against it as any more than a smoke screen to give the illusion the Union was all about humanitarian concerns. Part of the war strategy. Appearances only.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:12 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
You have to live changing history to fit the agenda. I guess next they will say no Yankees had slaves
I guess General U.S. Grant will have to get erased from history.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:14 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,700 times
Quote:

The B in ROFLMBAO stands for Black.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:32 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I know you are not a Veteran. Like 500 posts ago.. That's not what the South were fighting above all. Most in the South didn't have slaves and the North weren't fighting to free the slaves.

It's like invading China to bring "Democracy" (wink, wink) and the Natives fight back. Why would I be offended by their actions years after their deaths? Should they deserved it because they were communists and we went down there to do the good thing?

I asked you again, slavery was legal in the 13 colonies and the foundation of this country. Where did they get the silly idea of practicing slavery and going solo and refusing to kick 60% upstairs? you are upset and think they came up with that silly idea?

That's like running a pleasure house for decades in the family and then being shocked and insulted that my grandson (150 years after his death) went solo to run his own pleasure house and refuses to kick to me 60% payment for life and when I sent my personal army to destroy his home and business and forced him to pay up, he shot back with his own army. I'm shocked after over 150 years of his death. I can't understand were he got that silly idea.

And how the Army of the Potomac, who had suffered bitterly at the hands of the Army of Northern Virginia, viewed their adversaries:

https://armyhistory.org/honor-answer...at-appomattox/

"...Chamberlain was profoundly honored to command the surrender ceremony. Writing to his wife just one day later, he stated:

For my personal part I…have been in five battles…twice wounded myself—my horse shot—in the front line when the flag of truce came through from Lee—had the last shot + the last man killed, in their campaign; + yesterday was designated to receive the surrender of the arms of Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia.

The ceremony itself deeply moved Chamberlain, who would later write:

Instructions had been given; and when the head of each division column comes opposite our group, our bugle sounds the signal and instantly our whole line from right to left, regiment by regiment in succession, gives the soldier’s salutation, from the “order arms” to the old “carry”— the marching salute. Gordon at the head of the column, riding with heavy spirit and downcast face, catches the sound of shifting arms, looks up, and, taking the meaning, wheels superbly…with profound salutation as he drops the point of his sword to the boot toe; then facing to his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual, honor answering honor...."

Lincoln himself had 5 or 6 brother-in-laws who were Confederate officers and mourned with his sister-in-law, who he brought to stay at the White House, when one of them was killed.

Old 12-18-2021, 10:40 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And how the Army of the Potomac, who had suffered bitterly at the hands of the Army of Northern Virginia, viewed their adversaries:

https://armyhistory.org/honor-answer...at-appomattox/

"...Chamberlain was profoundly honored to command the surrender ceremony. Writing to his wife just one day later, he stated:

For my personal part I…have been in five battles…twice wounded myself—my horse shot—in the front line when the flag of truce came through from Lee—had the last shot + the last man killed, in their campaign; + yesterday was designated to receive the surrender of the arms of Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia.

The ceremony itself deeply moved Chamberlain, who would later write:

Instructions had been given; and when the head of each division column comes opposite our group, our bugle sounds the signal and instantly our whole line from right to left, regiment by regiment in succession, gives the soldier’s salutation, from the “order arms” to the old “carry”— the marching salute. Gordon at the head of the column, riding with heavy spirit and downcast face, catches the sound of shifting arms, looks up, and, taking the meaning, wheels superbly…with profound salutation as he drops the point of his sword to the boot toe; then facing to his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual, honor answering honor...."

Lincoln himself had 5 or 6 brother-in-laws who were Confederate officers and mourned with his sister-in-law, who he brought to stay at the White House, when one of them was killed.
And Pennsylvania had 6 born 'enemy soldiers', that served as generals for the Confederacy. Slave property was regarded as recognized and sustained by the Constitution and signed into law at the Federal Convention of 1787, held where? They may ought to rethink this enemy solder thing --- word is, that there are more Confederate flags flown there than anywhere else in the union. I was on reddit earlier --- interesting read; same topic.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:20 PM

10,871 posts, read 4,546,402 times
Quote:
I can't respect anyone who would fight to keep me enslaved. For that, Confederates cannot be respected. I don't know every Confederate soldier. However, honoring the likes of Confederates also honors their cause. And the Confederate cause was explicitly about preserving the institution of slavery. I can't respect anyone who would have fought to make sure my ancestors would have stayed enslaved. For this reason, I smiled when those Confederate statues got taken down.

well the sir you fully support slavery cuz our current admin and the one 2 admins ago coddle china and china keeps slaves and then sells their organs to wealthy european...in the entire history of mankind, I find nothing worse than that.

the more we discuss this issues and the truth gets out, you are gonna find no sides to stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies