Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 03:19 PM

18,535 posts, read 8,356,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok... instead of the blame game of who is right or wrong...

how about this... WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION, be it man-made or natural...just what do you propose to do to change the climate to optimum for human-kind???
nope..nope..nope...can't go there

it would mean blaming China

for the past 50 years....all of the increase in CO2...has come directly or indirectly from China

....that means...for the past 50 years....China has been solely responsible for all of global warming

China CO2 emissions > https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ederations.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 08:32 PM

19,736 posts, read 10,168,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
They happen still, every time there is a cold day and a climate denier wants to attempt to make a point.
Scientists were claiming that we were heading into an ice age when I was in school in the 60s. It was in the science books we had in class.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:04 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,609,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Scientists were claiming that we were heading into an ice age when I was in school in the 60s. It was in the science books we had in class.
No it wasn't. It was a Newsweek article that people remember. It was never accepted science, nor taught in schools.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:27 AM

9,197 posts, read 6,373,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
No it wasn't. It was a Newsweek article that people remember. It was never accepted science, nor taught in schools.
How do you know what is taught in every school, much less what was taught in every school back in the 1960's?

Old 01-05-2022, 10:34 AM

45,551 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
How do you know what is taught in every school, much less what was taught in every school back in the 1960's?
My Earth Science teacher talked about it in 1967 as did a Sociology teacher a couple years later. My college Earth Science instructor also talked about it the early 70s.

Maybe Canadian schools were backwards?

Old 01-05-2022, 10:54 AM

31,132 posts, read 22,168,750 times
Guess he was talking about students in DC where they spend $23,000 per student and have the highest drop out rate and poorest scores in the country. Pure Democrat failure.

For comparison South Korea spends about 6k per student and score the highest in the world.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:40 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,609,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Because I went to school in the 1960's. Never was it mentioned.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:41 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,024,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Even our scientists admit they do not know what goes into causing el nino, la nina, or polar vortexes, all they can do is monitor for them, and then predict weather accordingly. But this does not prevent the AGW enthusiasts from blaming CO2 for the weather events caused by these little understood global events.

Just like the blame human-induced CO2 for La Nina weather events.
We can't just go blaming CO2 for weather events. At least, I can't because I do not have the facts and I do not know what weather scientists have postulated although I'm sure they would been looking to understand the causes.

Quote:
Except that if it were not for the modern day natural warming trends which started in the 1800s, we would not have warmed out of the LIA; we'd still be caught in it. So who is to say, since the LIA, how much warmer the planet is supposed to be warming up to? Is there a climate normal where we are supposed to be at, or did humans artificially warm us out of the LIA?
These are my thoughts too. It does look as though the earth was in a cooling phase overall but then the Maunder minimum is an accepted thing and that had ended before the warming began. If memory serves, according to the Milankovitch cycle model, and looking at past interglacial temperatures (how reliable are those determinations?), it would seem that the earth was naturally cooling as it re-enters a period of glaciation.

Then again, there was that LIA which is thought to have been cause by the Maunder minimum, that brought the temperature down. There may or may not have been volcanic eruptions at the same time which would have exacerbated the effect (I haven't checked).

Quote:
When was that, during the back-to-back El Nino events of the early 1990s?
That was back in the 70's I think. There wasn't much going in between the 40's and 70's but alarms were being raised. The observation that I made in the late 80's and 90's was that summer temperatures were just as high as before and winters just as cold. But, summers seemed to be getting longer and winters shorter. I don't remember now but I seem to think that was actually confirmed? I could be wrong though.
Quote:
Because we just went thru two decades of measurable cooling. The AGW crowd referred to it as the pause, because they could not explain it.
My understanding is that the pause between mid 1940 and 1980 is well understood.
Quote:
The mid-century cooling appears to have been largely due to a high concentration of sulphate aerosols in the atmosphere, emitted by industrial activities and volcanic eruptions. Sulphate aerosols have a cooling effect on the climate because they scatter light from the Sun, reflecting its energy back out into space.
Quote:
The rise in sulphate aerosols was largely due to the increase in industrial activities at the end of the second world war. In addition, the large eruption of Mount Agung in 1963 produced aerosols which cooled the lower atmosphere by about 0.5°C, while solar activity levelled off after increasing at the beginning of the century.
So, there had been an increase in solar activity contributing to global warming as well. I didn't know that.

Anyway, it's an interesting topic and a lot more complicated than one might expect at first glance.

Here's a graph showing the effects of volcanic eruptions.
The rise in sulphate aerosols was largely due to the increase in industrial activities at the end of the second world war. In addition, the large eruption of Mount Agung in 1963 produced aerosols which cooled the lower atmosphere by about 0.5°C, while solar activity levelled off after increasing at the beginning of the century

Last edited by 303Guy; 01-05-2022 at 12:24 PM..

Old 01-05-2022, 11:54 AM

9,197 posts, read 6,373,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Because I went to school in the 1960's. Never was it mentioned.
All that proves is that it wasn't mentioned at the particular school(s) you attended. Why you think you can extrapolate that to all schools is baffling.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:33 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,643,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
He's not exactly kidding. He simply doesn't know what he's talking about, and can't prove any of it.

He does this fairly frequently on this forum. He rotely recites talking points, doesn't offer any proof, calls people names, and then announces that it's up to others to prove HIM wrong.

Isn't he cute?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I do offer proof. Climate deniers just ignore it. Happens all the time.

No, I don't expect others to prove me wrong; I expect climate deniers to prove SCIENCE wrong. And towards that end the climate deniers have failed miserably. Climate deniers have no data to back up their theories, zero proof that the planet is not warming, zero proof that extreme weather is not happening, and they resort to pseudo fake "science" featuring lots of blah blah about interglacial periods and sunspots
He occasionally reappears in the thread claiming he has provided proof... but never actually shows any, and merely keeps calling people names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies