Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 11:19 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,127,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
...and because of all the studies in the paper released by the W.H.O. back in 2019. Their study of a dozen other studies proved that even when the general public is issued N95 masks, and surgical masks, etc..., that they do not wear them improperly, fidget with them, and their use becomes ineffective.

Back in Oct 2019, the W.H.O. released a study that reviewed ten “high-quality randomized controlled trials” from 2006-2018. The result “demonstrated that personal measures (e.g. hand hygiene and face masks) have at best a small effect on transmission of the influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 virus.” “Ten RCTs were included in meta-analysis, and there was no evidence that face masks are effective in reducing transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.”

Both influenza and SARS-CoV-2 are approx 0.1 microns. Even though the N95 mask is only officially designated to filter out 0.3 microns, it uses a static charge to do this, so it still filters out most particles that are smaller than 0.3. But the longer you wear the mask, the less it's able to block these smaller particles.

That doesn't explain why people aren't demanding them and the government isn't mandating them.

If they really are better and really are more effective, shouldn't that be the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 11:20 AM

38,281 posts, read 22,312,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
The overwhelming amount of people wear a useless or close to useless cloth mask and they think they are safe. They are not.

I have always used N95 masks from day one until now. Never had an issue getting them and I have a boatload of them stocked up.

I am actually using them now simply not to get the flu or a cold.
They do have expiration dates. When COVID kicked off, I had a box of these at work, but sadly they had expired in 2019. But even then, they were the ones with a valve, so they did nothing to protect anyone from me.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:22 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,127,687 times
Quote:
I am also seeing more people wearing an N95 mask. Some of them even had the valves, which mean the masks are only to protect them from us. I am assuming they were told by their doctors to wear them when out in public, because just looking at the age and apparent health of the person, they look to be in the highest risk categories. Hopefully they are wearing it properly.

Those are industrial style N95s.

Meant for things like sanding dust in auto body and cabinet/woodworking shops.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:26 AM

17,786 posts, read 7,026,550 times
I love how the mask cultists are now like “we’ve been saying this all along, where have you been?”

Lol. They actually think everyone else is as susceptible to propaganda and lies as they are.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:27 AM

33,597 posts, read 18,237,546 times
I wear an N95 mask. I never wore a cloth mask with designs. Fauci does all the time. Of course he must have it lined with something better than the average cloth mask.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
That doesn't explain why people aren't demanding them and the government isn't mandating them.

If they really are better and really are more effective, shouldn't that be the case?
People can afford the cheap paper masks and the washable cloth masks, the more effective masks cost around $2.50 each. And even many of those are the less effective surgical mask types.

A family with two kids, would spend about $50 - $100 a week in just masks, if N95were mandated.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:35 AM

20,278 posts, read 21,030,300 times
The most ludicrous are the high fashion ones made of leather, diamonds, fur, Pom poms, and lord knows whatever else. These celebrities and elites have some serious next level brain damage.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Those are industrial style N95s.

Meant for things like sanding dust in auto body and cabinet/woodworking shops.
That's what the N95 masks are intended for, filtering out dust particles. The N95 will filter out as small as 0.3 microns, while COVID is .065-.125 microns in size.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:05 PM

42,006 posts, read 75,408,821 times
Quote:
Even washed and worn "correctly" a cloth mask is as effective at stopping Covid as trying to stop a fart with an extra pair of underwear.
Do we have to be reminded (again) of the difference between liquids and gases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I wear an N95 mask. I never wore a cloth mask with designs. Fauci does all the time. Of course he must have it lined with something better than the average cloth mask.
My average cloth masks were three layers of tightly woven cotton and a filter pocket. With the filter, that's about 7 or 8 layers. Anyway, I've given them up for KN95 masks now - a compromise between comfort and effectiveness - and use the cloth mask when I'm running into the convenience store for a cup of coffee.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:10 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,491,815 times
Quote:
The only reason to wear a cheap paper mask is when you are the person who is sick, to prevent you from coughing or sneezing on people. Then again, if you are sick you should be isolating yourself, not being near healthy people, or walking around in public with a mask.
Cloth face coverings were never about protecting yourself but about limiting spread as you describe. But you seem to have forgotten about asymptomatic spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies