Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 03:47 PM

34,027 posts, read 17,050,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There was a point in my life when I sincerely believed Democrats were for the "little guy" or the hard-working man who was down on his luck.

Then I realized that was some truly naive thinking going on there.
I was sad when Clinton (Bill) wooed Wall St, as did Obama, as they buy all politicians. GOP already drew big donations from them.

I truly wish it were illegal to donate to both sides in one race and would favor prohibiting any person or org from donating against a candidate he/she/corp supported in the last decade.

Donating to BOTH = buying favor. I was ok with it until about ten years ago. I now know it's just a bribe if one donates both ways.

I truly think of Vulture Capital as this nation's enemy, and at least one candidate in every race should court their displeasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 03:48 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I used to be pro-life but now I am pro-abortion. In a welfare state it makes economic sense to give women the option to kill their unborn so they do not become a burden on the system.
Was pro-choice and now I am pro-life.

I figured out the lies I had been fed by feminist rhetoric. Telling women they need kill their babies to have a career is just wrong.

Old 01-03-2022, 03:48 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,068,325 times
I am pro-unions now.

Old 01-03-2022, 03:49 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There was a point in my life when I sincerely believed Democrats were for the "little guy" or the hard-working man who was down on his luck.

Then I realized that was some truly naive thinking going on there.

the republicans used to get "the professional class" but as evidenced by both clintons and obama the democrats cater to massively educated ivy-league types anymore...the dems show sparks of interest in the "working man" and to me the conservatives just have never been on the "little" guys side except in talking points maybe

it is said Obama missed the opportunity to restructure the financial system because he felt too much commonality with the wallsteeters

Old 01-03-2022, 03:51 PM

4,544 posts, read 2,267,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
With out the evil warmonger Bush, we most likely would not have had Obama?
I hated Obama so I fail to see that as a positive thing

Old 01-03-2022, 03:54 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Unions. I once believed they'd served their purpose. Many of the things my grandfather, a union coal miner, fought for are now reality for all industries and workplaces.

But the other reality is that there is still discrimination in the workplace. There are still safety issues to resolve. There is still inequitable compensation. Unions are still necessary.

my reading tells me it was liberal icon bobby Kennedy going after gangster jimmy Hoffa that help sway public opinion away fro unions...

the business class republicans never gave anything to anybody freely, not even the time of day

Old 01-03-2022, 03:56 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,085,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
As someone on the left or right, have you ever changed your mind politically about a topic? And if so, what was the topic and why did you change your mind?

Sure, I was much more of an ideologue when I was younger.

But when you get older and build a life for yourself and your family, you realize that you don't have to be anywhere near "rich" to be on the "eat the rich" crowd's menu.

That realization has a way of changing your perspective on things.....

Then, one day you hear your father's words coming out of your mouth, and it dawns on you that...... you're a Conservative.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:05 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
As someone on the left or right, have you ever changed your mind politically about a topic? And if so, what was the topic and why did you change your mind?
Great question.

I've been a conservative since 1980 when I was 11. Liked that Ronald Reagan fellow.

Two places I've changed.

1. I've become an isolationist, I'm not interested at all in our troops being put in harms way to fight other countries' battles. The Jews & Arabs want to keep on battling - that's fine with me, keep us out of it.
2. I'm still a capitalist at heart but less so than previously, and more on the side of middle class workers and less on the side of big companies.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 26,427,822 times
I was a non-voting ancap/libertarian. After the hysterical covid response, I will vote for anyone who will help reverse this nonsense.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:08 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
my reading tells me it was liberal icon bobby Kennedy going after gangster jimmy Hoffa that help sway public opinion away fro unions...

the business class republicans never gave anything to anybody freely, not even the time of day
yes not all the right to work legislation, or the democrats embracing identity politics over labor, none of that happened, it was Bobby. Just what are you are your "readings" there guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies