Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 08:50 AM

271 posts, read 566,449 times

Advertisements

I used to be totally against assisted suicide but after watching my mom lose her mind (among other things) after being diagnosed with dementia/alzheimers, I think i would ask to be relieved of my life the day i no longer know who my loved ones are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 08:54 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
If they were that smart, most of them wouldn't need an abortion.

Because avoiding an unwanted pregnancy isn't really that difficult.
Is that what you changed your mind about?

Old 01-04-2022, 09:26 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
People with medical insurance are not being forced to pay for medical bills of others, they do it as a by product... but certainly not against their will...

They do it through higher premiums and deductibles to cover other groups and the uninsured as well as things like men having to have childbirth coverage.

I'm pretty sure if you asked them if they're doing that voluntarily, most of them would say no.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:34 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I agree it should be civil unions. Although I feel it should be called that for gays and straights. The state would no longer recognize anything other than civil unions for both. People can decide for themselves where to get married or whatever they want to do. I am gay and resented having to get married to allow my husband to become a resident in the USA.

I have changed my mind on guns, abortion and the death penalty.

Used to be for the death penalty and realize it is nothing more than revenge and costs a ton of money. I am still okay with abortion but some of the wacky extreme ideas about it are wrong. I swear some people would tear a baby out of the womb with their bare hands and use their teeth to severe the cord.

Guns... I am for the second amendment but the whole gun nut culture is also crazy. Your AR 15 kills the same as a machine gun. Oh but you shoot paper targets with it... fascinating.

I think you should be able to own one but keep it at home or the gun club. I believe any crime involving a gun should be life in prison. You have the right to have a gun but if you abuse that right you go away forever.

When a gun is used or even just present when a crime is committed I assume that person intended or would have been willing to kill somebody. If you walk around a public area like Walmart or a school with your wannabe machine gun to get on YouTube, they should gun you down like a dog no questions asked.

See this is where things fall apart. We use AR-15 rifles to control varmints (wild hogs, coyotes and jack-rabbits mostly) on my rural properties.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:41 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
As someone on the left or right, have you ever changed your mind politically about a topic? And if so, what was the topic and why did you change your mind?
Kind of a loaded setup to that question. Today, we are assumed to be "on the right" is we simply believe in the individual Rights and freedoms outlined in our founding documents and the US Constitution. JFK would be considered "far-right" by today's goofy political standards.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:49 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,084 times
Quote:
Guns... I am for the second amendment but the whole gun nut culture is also crazy. Your AR 15 kills the same as a machine gun. Oh but you shoot paper targets with it... fascinating.

I think you should be able to own one but keep it at home or the gun club. I believe any crime involving a gun should be life in prison. You have the right to have a gun but if you abuse that right you go away forever.

When a gun is used or even just present when a crime is committed I assume that person intended or would have been willing to kill somebody. If you walk around a public area like Walmart or a school with your wannabe machine gun to get on YouTube, they should gun you down like a dog no questions asked.
Aaaannd with that insulting and condescending tone you have alienated a whole bunch of good experienced thoughtful and law abiding gun owners. You've made it obvious that you are A.) Ignorant of guns. B.) Probably don't know any gun owners either and C.) Are more than willing to lash out with generalized stereotypes and labels for people who have a perspective you don't understand.

Congratulations on going a long way towards cratering the opportunity to have a conversation. Enjoy your monologue but know that it will achieve the opposite of persuasion and only hardens hearts and minds. Way to go.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:52 AM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Kind of a loaded setup to that question. Today, we are assumed to be "on the right" is we simply believe in the individual Rights and freedoms outlined in our founding documents and the US Constitution. JFK would be considered "far-right" by today's goofy political standards.
Say what?

Reagan, who used to be the poster boy of conservatism, would be called a leftist today by the right. Supported gun control, amnesty, grew government, raised taxes three times despite promises, etc.

Heck, just look at how Romney is treated even though he voted with Trump the vast majority of the time.

Slightest bit of compromise and you're branded a leftist/RINO.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:53 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Is that what you changed your mind about?

No, I've always felt that way.

What I changed my mind about was that abortion should be left up to the individual states to decide, regardless of my personal opinion about it.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:55 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
I agree it should be civil unions. Although I feel it should be called that for gays and straights. The state would no longer recognize anything other than civil unions for both. People can decide for themselves where to get married or whatever they want to do. I am gay and resented having to get married to allow my husband to become a resident in the USA.

I have changed my mind on guns, abortion and the death penalty.

Used to be for the death penalty and realize it is nothing more than revenge and costs a ton of money. I am still okay with abortion but some of the wacky extreme ideas about it are wrong. I swear some people would tear a baby out of the womb with their bare hands and use their teeth to severe the cord.

Lol ! Say you really don't support the 2A , without saying you really don't support the 2A.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:00 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Lol ! Say you really don't support the 2A , without saying you really don't support the 2A.
Exactly. They always roll into their anti-2A spiels with a weak preamble attempt to immunize themselves. "I'm all for hunting." "I've shot a handgun before." ... but ... !#!@#^ guns !%)#&$$ AR15s ^&%$$ gun nuts %^$&$ machine guns.

It never changes. I think they get classes somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies