Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 04:09 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
Since I asked the question, I will give one for me.

I waffle back and forth between conservative and liberal, depending on the topic. I used to be very uncomfortable with the idea of nuclear weapons and big military in general. Now I am fully supportive with staying ahead of other countries, at least in military technology. What changed my mind was seeing what people are capable of allowing themselves to do. First, of course, was the dictatorship of Hitler and then uncountable examples of people killing others for political gain. I am still shocked at what a lack of a solid conscience will allow, but I have accepted that it exists in some people. I have become more of a Teddy Roosevelt in "speak softly and carry a big stick".

the past few years i have read about the ww2 war between Russia and Germany, (no good guys)

i can just imagine all the partisan groups had leaders who got on soap boxs too inspire..this all re-enforces my idea that ALL political type groups will lead to corruption because man is corruptible..millions die

most poster on our forum have little idea just how bad some places have been historical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 04:13 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Never changed my political stance one iota and that's because I research every issue for the truth before I form an opinion. Far too many people don't do that.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:16 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
As someone on the left or right, have you ever changed your mind politically about a topic? And if so, what was the topic and why did you change your mind?
I'm on the right ... I believe universal health care is inevitable. Not like the EU or Canada, but some hybrid. Have I changed my mind? is acceptance the same thing?

I believe motion produces emotion... so yeah, kinda-maybe.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:20 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
As someone on the left or right, have you ever changed your mind politically about a topic? And if so, what was the topic and why did you change your mind?

I was pretty much a 'middle of the roader' for a long time, before swinging more to the Democrat side of things slowly during the early to mid 2000's.

Things I have changed my thinking about:

1.) Same sex marriage. Did a complete 180 on this one. Mainly because I wound up making a lot of friends who were homosexual, and realized that all they wanted was to be happy and build a life (with legal protections) with the person they loved.

2.) Death penalty--I wouldn't say I've *completely* changed my mind on this (I'd have no problems sending a proven child rapist to fry, for example), but I would say that I've become aware that there can be a lot of flaws in our system that might send an innocent person to death row. I'd say it's more I'd like to see cases that could carry the death penalty be more strictly and thoroughly gone over with a fine tooth comb. I know that technically, if there's any 'reasonable doubt', the accused is supposed to go free, but we all know that doesn't always happen. So I guess what I'm saying is a lot of reform for such cases before such a sentence is imposed?

3.) Abortion--Used to be completely against it, but I would say that there's a lot of issues that perhaps need resolved/looked into that lead to it. I may not love abortion, but I also hate rape, incest, babies who have so many problems that they wouldn't thrive/would suffer greatly....it's not as black or white as what I might've thought in my younger days.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:25 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
My views have evolved on a number of issues over the years.

I was once “pro-life” until enough different scenarios were presented to me where I now understand why it is important to allow women access to abortions even though I don’t support them on a personal level.

I was previously less open about immigration and less empathetic to illegal immigration in particular than I am now, after seeing the other side of the equation and going through the immigration process a few times and seeing how slow, inefficient and arbitrary it is at times.

I was previously staunchly against drug legalization and now I support legalization of recreational marijuana and decriminalization of other illegal drugs.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 01-03-2022 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-03-2022, 04:39 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
My stance on Israel has gotten more critical. Was a Zionist up until 5 years ago.
After witnessing what happened to the zuckerberg donation in the newark school system I no longer support pouring funds into under performing schools. I also support public charter schools which I was initially against.
I was for the eviction moratorium but think it should have been stopped much much sooner.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:44 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Poppa Bush made a decision when they held that boat captive. I don’t remember all the details - but he stood up and straighten his neck tie n he meant business. I voted for him. I did like poppa Bush - changed my mind as I was anti war- but I was 100% behind him.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:54 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
To simplify, I stopped believing that Republican were money hungry racist war mongers who hated the poor.
And started to realize democrats are the actual bad guys.
The end.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:56 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,487 times
Quote:
Topic? Sheeeeyit ... I've changed party affiliations a couple of times.

Nixon and Vietnam soured me on the GOP so I voted for Carter.
Carter's abject weakness motivated me to vote for Reagan.
Bush's neocon do-nothing swamp stench and the sub-prime mortgage meltdown motivated me to vote for Obama.
Obama gave rise to the virus of progressivism so I voted for Trump.

I'm currently in the process of changing my stance on abortion. I used to be strongly pro-choice but the left has encouraged me to soften that. Congratulations activist blue-haired lesbians growling and ranting for completely unrestricted abortion ... You are modern day barbarians and you are alienating me. 1st trimester, mf'ers ... that's not too much to ask.

Being a critical thinker means you modify your conclusions based on changing data.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:59 PM

254 posts, read 131,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
To simplify, I stopped believing that Republican were money hungry racist war mongers who hated the poor.
And started to realize democrats are the actual bad guys.
The end.
Why did you change your mind? What was the catalyst? Why did you think of Republicans that way? What made you realize Democrats were bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies