Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 01:44 PM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For those who believe a person can be whatever gender s/he chooses, help me understand what female and male mean. Maybe I'm just too old and science-minded to get it, but I actually am quite open-minded in general.

Lately I've seen a lot of articles about the current transgender Jeopardy champion, Amy Schneider, being the biggest winning female in Jeopardy history. What does that even mean? Why is it important to talk about Amy as being the winningest female, if anyone can simply decide they are male or female?

Does male and female actually mean anything meaningful anymore?
Sorry, if you are a biological male, then you are no woman and vice versa. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 01:47 PM

7,386 posts, read 3,542,914 times
its a feeling. if you feel like you are female, then it means that is what you are. gender and biological sex are how a person feels emotionally and if you think otherwise, you should be publicly shamed.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:49 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Boys have a penis.
Girls have a vagina.
The End.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:55 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceofthis12 View Post
So really, there's no way of knowing what someone's gender is unless you check their genitals, which makes all these conversations about using the "correct" bathroom all the more strange.
That's the way they do it with horses,dogs and every other mammel also. Much easier than getting their DNA tested.

It has nothing to do with the correct bathroom especially if you pee outside. Now if you pee inside and are a male going into a bathroom with my daughter, that's another story.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:56 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Males tend to have low sexual investment, and thus tend towards access to females. This includes a variety of tactics from the opportunistic ones like disrupting social norms to get into areas normally reserved for female privacy like bathrooms. For example, they may ask the question " What does it mean to be female or male?", when it blatantly obvious.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:09 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I guess I don't understand why people care so much. Unless we are about to have sex, I really don't see the relevance.

And I'm not into checking "equipment" when in a public restroom so heck if I know what someone is. Again I really don't care and don't understand why others do.

If I call someone a male or female regardless of what they call themselves, do I immediately go to heaven? Do I get a million dollars?

What is the point of caring in the first place?
The "caring" begins and ends with this being forced on the rest of society.

Be what you want to be anyone, I don't care but don't tell me what to think outside of what is reality.
Doesn't mean I won't like you, help you, or be friendly towards you.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:18 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,923,440 times
Male is a male and a female is a female regardless what one thinks. Dna doesn’t lie

Old 01-07-2022, 02:22 PM

447 posts, read 322,310 times
Male is male and female is female.

If people can claim themselves to be certain gender then we should be ok to claim our race/ethnic group we think we belong to. In that case I, a person born to be an Asian , will claim our family to be black or hispanic because in that case my child has better chance to go to those good universities.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:23 PM

596 posts, read 896,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
OK, so I've gotten a few replies, but nothing helpful. Does anyone "pro trans" have a good definition of female and male? I'm trying to figure out why people should even be divided by gender, or even described as being female or male, unless it has a concrete definition.
Not sure if I'm pro or anti anything, but here is what I know.

Modern science has revealed what we used to think was binary (male vs. female) is actually a more nuanced thing.

It's not 1 and 0, but more like spectrum.

One end of the spectrum, you may have what you consider normal man. On the other hand, you may have what you consider normal female. But between both ends, things are not so clear cut.

For example, there are people who are born with male chromosome but with female exterior. There are other people who are born with female chromosome but with male exterior.

I'm not a doctor, but I have science background, and this is how I understand non-binary people from reading about them.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:25 PM

447 posts, read 322,310 times
As for those transgender 'female' athletes who won the medal, do they really feel they won through a fair play?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies