Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 07:17 PM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Nothing new.

But we still need more information….
If you go past the update about sentencing you'll see the original report.

https://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0...rive_thru.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 07:24 PM

78,581 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Nothing new.

But we still need more information…

Meaning of Tanisha/Tanesha/Taneesha

Ambition (Sanskrit)
Born on Monday (Hausa, English)
Happiness (Arabic)
Benevolent ruler (Urdu),
Child saint (Urdu)

Many of you really have little clue the origins of many names you despise just because who you THINK came up with them.

Get a passport. Read a book. Maybe just Google.
I agree, we should respect other cultural names.

Side note, the LA county sheriff won't release the names of the 4 people arrested for participated in the murder of one of their deputies out house hunting.

You, me and the cat in the tree all know why.

That being said, parts of the country and the media seem to think some names should have stealth like qualities, along with pigment....unless they're a white person in which the immediate claim is racial motivation without any actual proof.

Tired of acceptable racism. I didn't like it 20-30 years ago when it was directed at blacks...I was taught growing up it was wrong to do. Apparently now it's back in vogue (for ratings.)

Old 01-13-2022, 07:27 PM

4,962 posts, read 2,247,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I think most rational people agree that the punishment should fit the crime. Have people been sentenced disproportionately to their crimes? I'm sure there have been over the years. Then you hear terms like school to prison pipeline, sentencing reform and privilege.

Here's a video of part of the crime.
https://youtu.be/9Lim-ltxaHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unj3B2jwC3E

Here's what she was charged with by the grand jury:

Here we have a crime that ends in a plea deal. This is the statement about the plea deal.

4 of the 1st degree assault, 3 of the 2nd degree assault, the disorderly conduct and reckless driving charges are dropped.

This is today's press release about the sentencing in this case:

The sentence breakdown:

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/48910...egree-assault/

Given the severity of the crime committed, it seems like a slap on the wrist sentence. It doesn't say if any of the assault victims gave any sentence input.

So is this the new norm? Overly lenient sentences for violent crimes due to some sort of historic inbalance? This wasn't an accident or some spur of the moment bad decision. In the video you can see the perp escalate the encounter. How does this make communities safer when violent criminals get sentences way below what is deserved?
When a wealthy, influential person can buy justice, the system is broken.

I think one solution is to yank the profiteering rug out from under legal profession and end private practice. Make lawyers/attorneys state employees and pay them what they are actually worth.

Then everyone will have equally ****** legal representation.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:37 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you go past the update about sentencing you'll see the original report.

https://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0...rive_thru.html
Insane, though there’s still more detail not included. She should be made to pay restitution to the victim who was/is still hospitalized though. The longer she is incarcerated, the less likely that will happen.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Side note, the LA county sheriff won't release the names of the 4 people arrested for participated in the murder of one of their deputies out house hunting.

That being said, parts of the country and the media seem to think some names should have stealth like qualities, along with pigment....unless they're a white person in which the immediate claim is racial motivation without any actual proof.

Tired of acceptable racism. I didn't like it 20-30 years ago when it was directed at blacks...I was taught growing up it was wrong to do. Apparently now it's back in vogue (for ratings.)
Is the LA investigation at the point where names should be released?

At this point, 5 people were detained on Tuesday and 4 arrested on Wednesday. 3 of those detained are gang members. Based on that, I would guess that they are still heavily investigating the incident.

Let law enforcement do their job before running to racism.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:11 PM

8,362 posts, read 2,982,622 times
That video. Wow. Clearly attempted murder.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Thought you were sure the perps were Black and that’s why the faces and names weren’t released…

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...ff-duty-la-cop

As I said, they just weren’t far enough in the investigation.

The perps are Hispanic and White and many of the same news networks that carried the story haven’t posted their pictures.

Old 01-15-2022, 12:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 2,848,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I think most rational people agree that the punishment should fit the crime. Have people been sentenced disproportionately to their crimes? I'm sure there have been over the years. Then you hear terms like school to prison pipeline, sentencing reform and privilege.

Here's a video of part of the crime.
https://youtu.be/9Lim-ltxaHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unj3B2jwC3E

Here's what she was charged with by the grand jury:

Here we have a crime that ends in a plea deal. This is the statement about the plea deal.

4 of the 1st degree assault, 3 of the 2nd degree assault, the disorderly conduct and reckless driving charges are dropped.

This is today's press release about the sentencing in this case:

The sentence breakdown:

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/48910...egree-assault/

Given the severity of the crime committed, it seems like a slap on the wrist sentence. It doesn't say if any of the assault victims gave any sentence input.

So is this the new norm? Overly lenient sentences for violent crimes due to some sort of historic inbalance? This wasn't an accident or some spur of the moment bad decision. In the video you can see the perp escalate the encounter. How does this make communities safer when violent criminals get sentences way below what is deserved?
Sentencing disparity has been a thing for a loooong time, the only time it comes up here though is if a Black or Brown person gets a sentence deemed “light”, all the other light sentences for White offenders out there get *crickets*.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Is the LA investigation at the point where names should be released?

At this point, 5 people were detained on Tuesday and 4 arrested on Wednesday. 3 of those detained are gang members. Based on that, I would guess that they are still heavily investigating the incident.

Let law enforcement do their job before running to racism.
Perhaps I’m just jaded by past experiences with the current media treatment of race.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Thought you were sure the perps were Black and that’s why the faces and names weren’t released…

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...ff-duty-la-cop

As I said, they just weren’t far enough in the investigation.

The perps are Hispanic and White and many of the same news networks that carried the story haven’t posted their pictures.
I didn’t mention faces, names weren’t released.

Are you saying that the media doesn’t hide or promote stories with an eye on race?

You need some memory joggers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies