Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2022, 12:39 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Sadly, this is all very true. Hopefully some wake up before it is too late. Most of our bridges are 50+ years old.
All of the large bridges around my region have been repaired or replaced. And I travel a lot between three states. I think this large number of bridges that are listed as in need of repair, are the tiny ones that go across small creeks and culverts. Many of these bridges are very old, but do to their size and construction, they will remain safe for many decades to come.

My point being, I'm not seeing this multitude of bridges in dire need of repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 01:08 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,451,436 times
I hear their bike paths are nice.

If the word "infrastructure" comes out of a democrat pie-hold, remind them how they've frequently misused these funds for decades. Then they ask for more. They really think we are stupid.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I hear their bike paths are nice.

If the word "infrastructure" comes out of a democrat pie-hold, remind them how they've frequently misused these funds for decades. Then they ask for more. They really think we are stupid.
Yep, spent a fortune on bike lanes.

And there’s many folks willing to pay more in taxes without asking or knowing how exactly the money is going to be spent.

Old 01-29-2022, 03:25 PM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Has anyone asked Mayor Pete? After all, he is the transportation/infrastructure czar. Where is all the money going? Is he done lactating yet?
You mean Mayo Pete the racist from the 2020 primaries?

I mean who am I to argue with the insights of the supporters of VP Harris?

Old 01-29-2022, 09:18 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
fox commentators jobs were never in danger. they were doing great well before vegetable zhoe took office.
Just wait until the old man, Rupert, dies!

3 of his children are appalled at what Fox News has become! His son James gave $600k to Biden's campaign. When the old man dies, Lachlan will be powerless and there'll be some big changes at Fox News.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:22 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
All of the large bridges around my region have been repaired or replaced. And I travel a lot between three states. I think this large number of bridges that are listed as in need of repair, are the tiny ones that go across small creeks and culverts. Many of these bridges are very old, but do to their size and construction, they will remain safe for many decades to come.

My point being, I'm not seeing this multitude of bridges in dire need of repair.
The one crossing from Cincinnati to Kentucky has long been in need of repairs, but Chinese Mitch doesn't seem to care!

I read there's pieces falling into a parking lot on the Kentucky side!

Old 01-29-2022, 09:25 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2022...-visit-n444746

Everything associated with this President and his administration crumbles. What a perfect metaphor.
Why are you blaming a bridge collapse on him? He's the one who's trying to do something about America's failing infrastructure. So far, he's the only Prez in recent times who's even attempted to address the issue, which has been festering for decades.

Why didn't the previous President fix these things? He made a lot of promises (and infrastructure upgrading wasn't one of them), but delivered not much at all. Mostly bluster.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:30 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Gee, i wonder if any funds in the infrastructure bill went to replacing/repairing that bridge.
I doubt it. Not unless bridges are made of pork.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:43 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
You are confused, poor thing.

There is ALREADY an infrastructure bill - a real infrastructure one - and it has already been passed. For roads and bridges. The money is there. We don't NEED another bill.

Brandon's BBB (aka Build Back Broke) is a fake infrastructure bill - the one that Dems couldn't get past the Senate.

Why? Because it has nothing to do with roads, bridges, ports. It is a woke social 'human infrastructure' bill with so much cR@P stuffed inside it'll bust the US economy and taxes that'll crush anything that remains of our economy.

Don't be fooled.
What bill was this and when was it passed.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:32 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Approximately 45,000 bridges in the US are rated as "poor". My state is #1 on the list so I am very aware of this issue. Many bridges are eligible for federal matching funds which have been lacking.

In fact, if a bridge is part of the interstate system (most in my area built in the 60's and 70's) the majority of funding for repairs and replacement is a fed issue.

https://www.ccjdigital.com/business/...icient-bridges
"Approximately 45,000 bridges in the US are rated as "poor"'

And in another post you said " My state". Which is correct, it is NOT MY STATE!

"States Own Interstate Highways Not the Federal Government"

" “The States own and operate the Interstate highways.” The only exception is the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge, which is currently under construction and spans Interstate 95 and Interstate 495 over the Potomac River; but once the old bridge is replaced, that ownership will be reverted to the states of Maryland, and Virginia — as well as the District of Columbia — all of which operate the bridge."

"Many bridges are eligible for federal matching funds which have been lacking.

I repeat why should the people of MY state, and evrey other state, PAY to repair YOUR roads?

Why don't YOU investigate and find out WHY the annual money allocated for maintenance was NOT used to maintain YOUR roads and bridges?

I'll bet you have a State Department of Roads., or other named agency whose JOB and RESPONSIBILITY is to MAINTAIN it's roads and bridges.

I found this for Michigan, "
Michigan State Transportation Commission (STC)
  • About the Commission The STC is the policy-making body for all state transportation programs. It is comprised of six members appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the State Senate. Commissioners serve three-year terms, staggered so that the terms of two commissioners expire each year. No more than three commissioners are from the same political party as required by the Michigan Constitution."
Odd ALL the members are MOSTLY DEMS and a few ind.

And, Oh-LOOK

• bureau of Bridges & Structures

Mission: We are devoted to the efficient and innovative design, construction, and
    active preservation of transportation structural assets, inspired by
    safety, resiliency, and mobility."
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616...615---,00.html

"Michigan’s Transportation Budget
Michigan’s Transportation budget supports:
oState and local road and bridge programs
Construction and preservation of the state trunkline highway system
Funding for local road systems (83 road commissions and 531 cities and
villages"

Transportation Share of Total State Budget

January 2020House Fiscal Agency8
The Transportation budget represents approximately9%of the$58.5 billionstate
budget (adjusted gross) for FY 2019-20.tps://www.house.mi.gov/hfa/PDF/Briefings/MDOT_BudgetBriefing_fy19-20.pdf

So AGAIN, WHAT DID THEY DO WITH THE MONEY all these YEARS?

YOUR people failed you, NOT ME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies