Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2022, 07:08 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
well, I guess we found the hippy GenZ/late Boomer without a real marketable skill since 1982.
Ouch. I guess when you have nothing to contribute to a civil conversation you go straight to insults. Dismissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 07:15 PM

The hostility being directed towards me is really off the charts. I never suggested that we should force them to loan the money. You guys need to chill the ef out seriously Christ.

Last edited by AguaDulce; 01-30-2022 at 07:24 PM..

Old 01-30-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Assuming that they will lend the money as long as OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY doesn't go away. OPM usually doesn't last.

Instead of college, money should be used for healthcare. College is a choice, health isn't

But, oh wait, Universal Healthcare failed miserably.

What's a country to do?
Are you talking about the affordable healthcare act?

Old 01-30-2022, 07:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Yet another solution looking for a problem.

Not everyone SHOULD be going to college and not every degree actually has value.

As, a taxpayer I am more than willing to pay for folks taking STEM classes. But that's it.

No value to the liberal arts classes. Those students can pay for their education.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
As, a taxpayer I am more than willing to pay for folks taking STEM classes. But that's it.
No value to the liberal arts classes. Those students can pay for their education.
Unless you are on the list of 40 people who have between $30-$201 billion in assets (for this particular thought experiment) you would not even be approached.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:32 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Ouch. I guess when you have nothing to contribute to a civil conversation you go straight to insults. Dismissed.
you did this, not me.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:32 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Why make secondary education free, when for almost all subjects, secondary education is obsolete??

For centuries, universities were these places where the collected wisdom and knowledge of the ages was gathered. You needed to go to the university if you wanted to become an educated person. If you wanted to learn medicine, you needed to go to the only places where knowledge about that was available. The same was true of history, literature, philosophy, chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics, engineering, etc.

At present, every scrap of information you can find at a university can be found online. Now there may need to be some process of verifying that an individual has actually read and studied the material and that the source is valid, but what can I learn at a University that I can't learn at home on my computer? If it's not hands-on training, you can get all the same information without going to college.

The biggest thing still driving the demand for college degrees? The hiring boss thinks, "I had to get one of those damn things. It took me a lot of time, money, and effort. If I had to get a college degree, so should you!"
Actually, labor laws are the driving factor with respect to credentials.
Many state and federal laws control how employees are hired and paid.
In the past, employees who were hourly, and worked a lot of overtime, were promoted to salaried positions that had no overtime bonus. So that loophole was plugged by requiring a college degree for "salaried" positions.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
you did this, not me.
Please clarify. What did I do to deserve such hostility?

This thread is different than most p&oc threads because I am not attacking people with whom I disagree.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:40 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Yet another solution looking for a problem.

Not everyone SHOULD be going to college and not every degree actually has value.
Thank you for saying what should be obvious, but what needs to be said anyway.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:41 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The hostility being directed towards me is really off the charts. I never suggested that we should force them to loan the money.
Sure. It just happens that forcing them is the only way your scheme would ever move forward. And if the people you were going to take it from, say they want no parts of your schemes, then forcing is what you'll be "reluctantly" have to do.
Quote:
You guys need to chill the ef out seriously Christ.
Sorry. We've seen what leftist extremists do. Consistently, time after time. You guys have used up all your rope. Time to find yourselves some brand-new suckers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies