Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2022, 11:34 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I’m sure if you follow the news that this story has popped up. I don’t know what to think. Now that he didn’t get the job, the NFL is raciest.

https://theundefeated.com/features/b...ing-practices/

I blame the Rooney rule for this. Now I have to deal with everyone on FB calling the NFL raciest and posts like these.

So it’s not raciest to require a company to hire a black guy? We make up 13% of the population. Why would you require half of the NFL to have black coaches and be black owned?

Raciest? That's kind of subjective. I do find some of the players very attractive, and others might say that about the cheerleaders, and there are furries and otherkin that would be all over some of the mascots, but raciest? I have to disagree. A stripper bar is much racier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 11:44 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Bingo. That's why there isn't more black coaches. They had their chance.
There's plenty of terrible white coaches who coach way too long also. If a black guy goes for an interview Marvin Lewis shouldn't be held against him just like Mike McCarthy shouldn't be held against a white guy. But teams shouldn't get called racist for not hiring or firing someone who happens to be black.Peolple should be hired and fired based on merit period.

As far as Flores-
Miami has a black GM ,fired a black coach and replaced him with a black coach.

The Texans fires a black coach and replaced him with a black coach.

I'm sure some racism exists in some circles regarding coaches but it's very little and he sure as hell isnt giving us any examples of it.

Funny story I remembered today
About 15 years ago a friend of mine worked for the Arena Football League
John Elway was looking into buying a team (maybe he bought one I don't know)
My friend is super excited to meet Elway
Elway showed up hammered to a meeting in the afternoon

I don't doubt Flores is right that Elway looked like crap at 730 am
I also don't doubt what Elway said -that Flores offered him one four hour window he was available to be interviewed and that was jt
And tbag there were 5 executives there who took copious amounts of notes and gave Flores a real interview

Flores seems to think Elway looking like crap at 7am makes him racist when it doesn't

He also seems like a difficult guy to get along with and doesn't understand that when you argue with your employer whether you're right or wrong there are repercussions in the real world.There have been plenty of coaches and managers to argue with the team owner who were right about what they said and got fired.Hes just another one of them.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:50 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Brian Flores = Antonio Brown of coaching

Old 02-08-2022, 01:43 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
There's plenty of terrible white coaches who coach way too long also. If a black guy goes for an interview Marvin Lewis shouldn't be held against him just like Mike McCarthy shouldn't be held against a white guy.
We blacks are 14% of the American population, non-Hispanic whites are 61%. There will always be more whites with more chances to coach than vice versa.

We blacks have has plenty of chances to coach, and we blew it many times (Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith, Hue Jackson, etc.). So no NFL team is obligated to pander to the left by hiring more.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:09 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
I just learned something else new today. The NFL gives compensatory picks to teams that hire the first minority coach in a cycle.

teams from which a minority head coach or executive is hired are awarded two third-round compensatory picks in the following two drafts

Me being a black man, I find this disgraceful. Now I don't know if I'm hired because you think I'm a good coach or because I'm a charity case and you want the draft picks so you take one for the team.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:47 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I just learned something else new today. The NFL gives compensatory picks to teams that hire the first minority coach in a cycle.

teams from which a minority head coach or executive is hired are awarded two third-round compensatory picks in the following two drafts

Me being a black man, I find this disgraceful. Now I don't know if I'm hired because you think I'm a good coach or because I'm a charity case and you want the draft picks so you take one for the team.
Welcome to the tangible, horrible downside of the very real bigotry of white people using "diversity" to absolve their inherited racist sin and assuage the imagined/invented pain that comes with it.

Every single apologist for this glaring example of institutional racial discrimination ("institutional" because it is actually codified into rules of the institution) sees ALL black people as helpless toddlers who cannot possibly survive the world without their white guardians/saviors.

For a black coach to be equal to a white coach, so says NFL rules, you have to throw in two draft picks. It turns all black coaches into the fat kid getting picked last for kickball. We'll spot you two runs per inning if you take the fat kid. That's what the NFL thinks about the resumes.

Do an intellectual exercise that applies Occam's Razor. You are the NFL team owner. You know full well the cultural and media narrative concerning your sport. You didn't get rich enough to own an NFL franchise without knowing about the extended stakeholder model of strategic management, how goodwill can actually be accounted for, how positive PR moves merchandise, season tickets and TV rights, etc. You get it, no doubt. BUT....you also know in sports, winning is literally everything. You have to win football games. You just gotta.

Your accountants, marketing folks, etc have all crunched the data, and winning means three times as much to the revenue bottom line as the cultural narrative about your diverse hiring practices. They've actually analyzed the numbers and winning matters more than anything else.

Now, you need a head coach. You need to win, obviously, but holy crap, wouldn't it be awesome if out of all the resumes you looked at and all the interviews you did, a black guy was the clearest choice for winning? Please G-d, can we get the black Lombardi?

Get my point? Every owner in the league probably has soggy dreams about finding black Lombardi/Belichik/Saban...and I bet they have those dreams often. No billionaire is racist enough to let race interfere with making $millions in extra dough because not only did you find a winner, you found a BLACK winner!! And I get two extra 3rd round picks?

The winning black head coach is THE dream. Every owner in the NFL wants that guy...but here's the thing...maybe that guy doesn't exist so far as the pile of resumes and the interviews suggest, at least not in the numbers the media and the apologists would like to believe? If he did, he'd be swooped up instantly and with great fanfare and self-congratulations from whatever owner nabbed him.

Now, all that said, here is where the Tony Dungy's of the world SHOULD be spending their time and effort - more black grad assistants at the Division IA level. Convincing the possible future black Lombardi's out there to do like COUNTLESS white grad students do on every team, and work those 12-15 hour days for The Program as both traditional first step in the NFL coaching career path, but also as tuition waiver for graduate school. Graduate school and the one internship most common among NFL coordinators and head coaches.

Get more black men (and women, actually) taking that first step, because playing IS NOT EQUAL to coaching. Different careers, different career paths, different skill sets, different everything, just same industry.

Too many armchair owners think they know more about a coaching resume than an actual NFL owner. They don't.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:15 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
So then how is it not racism that almost every starting player in the NBA is black? Why don’t we have a Rooney affirmative action rule for non black players?
That's a fair question.

I think the difference though is athletic ability is pretty much to pardon the pun, black and white. A person either has it or doesn't and it is a tangible quality that is easily measured. I would also say that socioeconomic backgrounds of the person really does not sway their athletic ability in anyway. A black kid growing up in the harshest ghetto neighborhood is going to have the same opportunities to reach their athletic peak as a white kid coming from a rich family and attending one of the nations best private schools.

When it comes to coaching, I'm not quite sure there are obvious tangible tools we can use to measure a persons worth or value as a head coach.

That said false stereotypes for white players do still exist. We hear the term, "high motor" "precise route runner" etc. used a lot more with white football players than we do with black players. Those stereotypes do the white players a dis-service in valuing their athletic ability. Take Cole Beasley for example. Does he run great routes and get open? Sure he does. But he can also dunk a basketball at 5'8". That's some serious athletic ability no matter your skin color.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:27 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Following this thread I think there have been many rational and level headed posts that aren’t heavily biased. Good conversation here.
As a minority myself I think I would always feel bad if I got a job over someone else more qualified than me because of race. I’m more of a hard work boot strap kind of person that thinks hard work is rewarded.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:28 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Bingo. That's why there isn't more black coaches. They had their chance.

All it takes is a few bad ones to ruin it for everyone else.
Then you would have no college coaches or NFL assistants considered for a head coach position. Which few ruined it for which 'everybody else'? Bunching aspirants together like that is illegal job discrimination.

Because a black coach was unsuccessful you think this is a reason or an excuse not to consider other black coach applicants? The law is against you.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:36 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
We blacks have has plenty of chances to coach, and we blew it many times (Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith, Hue Jackson, etc.). So no NFL team is obligated to pander to the left by hiring more.
Grading coaches is not like grading player performance. There is a lot more grey area. You list three coaches that failed but one can easily make a valid argument for Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith being successful coaches. So which were they successes or failures? Nobody knows for certain. They weren't Bill Belicheck or Mike Tomlin but they also weren't Hue Jackson level bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies