Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 11:07 AM

4,909 posts, read 2,059,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Are the city officials offering their homes?
Too funny!! A California politician doing what they demand other to do? Not happening!!

Seriously, when has any Californian or any politician, Red or Blue, did what they want others to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 11:09 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Some homeless don't want to live in a home.
Some??? Most live on the streets as a life style.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:21 AM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Yes! Since the Dems 'care about the poor', this is exactly what they should do.

Open your homes, lefties, and prove it. You've got room.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:31 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Some homeless don't want to live in a home.
Exactly. And honestly, I found it quite surprising.

I found a youtube channel where the individual interviews homeless people in Detroit, many of them women. He lets them tell their story and at the end asks them if they want help to get off the street. Now, I've only watched four or five episodes, but in everyone the answer was no. They just weren't ready to make a change in their life yet. I was floored, some of the horrific stories they told I would think they'd jump at the chance to be off the street.

Old 02-10-2022, 01:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 679,664 times
Can someone explain to me HOW homeless people are able to live on the streets during inclement weather (rain, sleet, snow, blizzards, extreme heatwaves, etc.)? If it's raining, I make sure I never get wet at all - can't even imagine what it would be like to have no shelter.

What about bathroom use? I Thank God for the invention of the toilet (not saying "god" invented it) - what if they are sick, have diarrhea, have to go in the middle of the night, etc.?

I wonder what the average lifespan is of people on the streets?

It's too bad they don't send social workers out to survey the population, talk to every single person and put a plan together for them. I know some don't want it. Some are addicted to substances and prefer to take the substances at their whims.

Also, what about the poor homeless animals?

I am a person of average intelligence, but am really good at brainstorming. I think I could make some improvements in the homeless problem if I was Queen. I don't accept that nothing can ever be done and that things have got to get worse and worse.

First on my agenda would be to offer bus tickets back to their cities of origin - and would make local homeless people a priority to the point where if you are not from here, social services are not so easy to obtain. Make it easy to apply from your city of origin and hard to apply from anywhere else. Have social workers contact family members to see if anyone wants to take so-and-so in, offer long term rehab to every single addict/alcoholic, and follow up with sober living housing, job programs, etc. Survey grocery stores to see which ones would hire addicts/alcoholics as bag "boys" once they've completed rehab.

Then I would invite investigative journalists to write illuminating articles - to actually interview people for their stories and to see what they think would be helpful.

And put porta potties on every damn street corner (with a minimum wage security guard to stand in front of the porta potty - any funny business some kind of punishment - not sure what - lol

Have the city hire people to pick up garbage - give them bags and pokey things and tell them where to dump stuff - then pay minimum wage for their hours.

Instead, what is happening to improve things by people so much smarter than me?

Old 02-10-2022, 02:04 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Ive posted before about using all the open space we have in the U.S. to create housing for this. 3D printed materials could even be used, this has been explored already. The Govt already spends millions on programs that do little. Costs of hospital stays and prison cost even more. This has existed for ages and its actually worse in the last few years.

Most people would not want to take in a stranger who may have mental health or drug problems. Even if the Govt foots that bill. Many homeless need treatment for addictions mental disorders.

We could send people into space but cant build housing on Earth for people without. Makes no sense at all.
Here is the thing that you do not seem to understand:

If you built these shelters, they would not use them. If they used them, they would trash them to the point of being unlivable.

Most of the homeless are drug addicts or mentally ill. You cannot expect them to embrace middle class, midwestern work ethics and become solid citizens. It is not going to happen. They are not voluntarily going to seek mental health care and will not live in anyplace unless they have free and open access to street drugs.

If you do not believe this, just look at the wonderful "experiment" of Caprini Green. This, of course, was demolished after 30 years, as despite all the liberal hopes and wishes, the place was trashed and a haven for drug addicts and the mentally ill. In short, it was an incubator for crime.

Old 02-10-2022, 02:05 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
She got that pet project by horse (or rather pork) trading. *shrug* You can rest assured that someone like Bob Dole or other movers and shakers from back then got something for their home states or areas in exchange. Kansas got a lot of man-made lakes due to Dole...stuff like that.
The Presidio, believe it or not, used to be a pretty cool area.

Liberals ruin everything they touch.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:20 PM

178 posts, read 82,730 times
Before the Liberals where blaming the Landlords for not accepting. Will be funny to see how many accept them into their own homes to help out.
Always been hypocrites.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:22 PM

178 posts, read 82,730 times
If you want to see how bad it is with the Liberal ideas.
Some people should not be allowed to vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...bwvDaavtSPG6SI

Old 02-10-2022, 08:49 PM

866 posts, read 319,994 times
I think it should be mandatory for everyone in San Francisco, Berkeley and Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies