Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 09:28 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The Russians had their head handed to them? In Mariupol? The Russians have been broken and are running away? If that had happened then Zelensky would be planning a victory parade in Moscow, not running around begging the West for weapons with which to try to relieve Azovstal and to defend his country.
The Russian military has taken huge losses in men and equipment, even the low estimates are high. They got their hats handed to them in Kyiv and had to retreat due to the mounting losses they were incurring. The pre-war assumptions of a modernized Russian army being a fast moving and effective military force has been one of the biggest military intelligence misses since WMD's in Iraq. Their logistics are so poor that they can't coordinate anything beyond one or two BTGs for any offensives...they trickle in small attacks and get clobbered. They have failed to gain air supremacy to date, something many assumed they would have within the first few days of the invasion starting. They have been bogged down in Mariupol for over 50 days taking serious losses, now that they have the majority of the city the forces that are freed up to move into the Donbas have been severely diminished. The battle of Donbas was declared on April 18 with a large artillery barrage in the area and since then the Russian advances have been minimal...again they can't coordinate anything more than 1 or 2 BTG's for any offensive. The Pentagon is cutting them slack by saying they are just positioning for a future major offensive...I wouldn't hold your breath on that. The US Department of Defense briefing this Thursday pointed out that Russian tank losses have been so extreme and Ukrainian tank losses so light...and the fact the Ukrainians have received so many reinforcements from Nato countries as well as captured, functioning Russian vehicles...that Ukraine now has more operational tanks in the country than the Russians. The biggest problem the Ukrainians have is there so much armament being shipped in they are bogged down getting it into place. This is the prevailing view among the vast majority of the world's media sources that are outside the Russian sanction state media. Russia is being laughed at right now.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/statu...79897279406082

Quote:
This is how the total sum of U.S. military aid to Ukraine has increased step by step since Russia's invasion.

February 25: $350 mln
March 12: $550 mln
March 16: $1.35 bn
April 1: $1.65 bn
April 5: $1.75 bn
April 13: $2.55 bn
April 21: $3.35 bn

Someone isn’t happy...

Old 04-23-2022, 09:42 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If they thought it out carefully, the blokes to whom they assigned the task were simply not up to the task. Cause they have had their head handed to them.
Not up to the task but in days they took over as much Ukrainian territory as is the size of the United Kingdom.

Not bad for a bunch of "blokes" who aren't up to the task. Imagine if they were!

Old 04-23-2022, 09:44 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
My daughter is an A-grade high school student. I'd understand she wouldn't know something about world history. But she knows nothing about even American history. She doesn't know Johnny Appleseed, she doesn't know Paul Banyan, she doesn't know Davy Crockett, or even what Alamo is known for.

She doesn't know nothing even about American geography....

She attended top rated public schools in Wisconsin (that is neither too liberal, nor too conservative).

Scary....
Quote:
She is not required by her school to do any of that. 20 years ago kids would get a good grasp of American history through TV. I recall good children-oriented cartoons about American revolution war, good history-base movies, etc. But nowadays kids watch Tictok and YouTube.
Lot of truth to that. Looking back, I wish I'd insisted my daughter watch more history-based movies with me. She wasn't interested so I didn't insist. Of course, all countries shape the history that is 'taught' even indirectly in movies. Only themes that would be 'popular' to the public get produced.

Still Russia has kept more control over what was taught pre-1991 and then again today than western countries. I was honestly surprised Erasure who has a strong foundation in Russian history had never heard of Katyn; an English movie based on the background of Russian massacres of the Polish officer class just came out. Then, duh, of course she wouldn't have.

Earlier we had the discussion of Russians 'removing' Poles from Poland during ww2 - no need for a repeat - that the mods deleted as off-topic. Their call, fine. But its not off topic in the least because history shapes this invasion. Any understanding is impossible without going back into history.

The Poles almost certainly know (or could if interested) about Katyn etc. No doubt they also know about the UPA. Ukraine the country is not a threat to Poland (nor to Russia). Poland opens its doors to Ukrainian refugees while at the same time Putin dredges up ww2 to support his invasion.

That really says something doesn't it? One country (Poland) forward-looking putting past events aside. The other (Russia under Putin) where past hatreds are revived to support this invasion.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:45 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
The Russian military has taken huge losses in men and equipment, even the low estimates are high. They got their hats handed to them in Kyiv and had to retreat due to the mounting losses they were incurring. The pre-war assumptions of a modernized Russian army being a fast moving and effective military force has been one of the biggest military intelligence misses since WMD's in Iraq. Their logistics are so poor that they can't coordinate anything beyond one or two BTGs for any offensives...they trickle in small attacks and get clobbered. They have failed to gain air supremacy to date, something many assumed they would have within the first few days of the invasion starting. They have been bogged down in Mariupol for over 50 days taking serious losses, now that they have the majority of the city the forces that are freed up to move into the Donbas have been severely diminished. The battle of Donbas was declared on April 18 with a large artillery barrage in the area and since then the Russian advances have been minimal...again they can't coordinate anything more than 1 or 2 BTG's for any offensive. The Pentagon is cutting them slack by saying they are just positioning for a future major offensive...I wouldn't hold your breath on that. The US Department of Defense briefing this Thursday pointed out that Russian tank losses have been so extreme and Ukrainian tank losses so light...and the fact the Ukrainians have received so many reinforcements from Nato countries as well as captured, functioning Russian vehicles...that Ukraine now has more operational tanks in the country than the Russians. The biggest problem the Ukrainians have is there so much armament being shipped in they are bogged down getting it into place. This is the prevailing view among the vast majority of the world's media sources that are outside the Russian sanction state media. Russia is being laughed at right now.
The Russians had no intention of taking Kyiv at that time since they had only allocated about 40,000 troops for it. Even if those troops had been the best troops in the world, there was NO WAY they could have taken a city of that size. That was a diversionary move to keep Ukrainian troops occupied while the bulk of Russian troops concentrated on the southeast of Ukraine.

If what you report is true, then the Russians would have been chased out of Ukraine, the Donbas, and Crimea by now. The Azovstal factory would have been relieved, if not unable to be surrounded by the Russians in the first place. What are the Ukrainians waiting for then? Chase the Russians out of Ukraine and the other areas that I mentioned with the NATO super weapons. Unless they can't do it. Let's see what happens over the next couple of weeks. Time will tell what truly happens.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:47 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,107 times
Quote:
The Russians had no intention of taking Kyiv at that time since they had only allocated about 40,000 troops for it. Even if those troops had been the best troops in the world, there was NO WAY they could have taken a city of that size. That was a diversionary move to keep Ukrainian troops occupied while the bulk of Russian troops concentrated on the southeast of Ukraine.

If what you report is true, then the Russians would have been chased out of Ukraine, the Donbas, and Crimea by now. The Azovstal factory would have been relieved, if not unable to be surrounded by the Russians in the first place. What are the Ukrainians waiting for then? Chase the Russians out of Ukraine and the other areas that I mentioned with the NATO super weapons. Unless they can't do it. Let's see what happens over the next couple of weeks. Time will tell what truly happens.
Wrong!!! When the west witnessed the genocidal nature of this aggression...that's when they stepped up to the plate. The large shipments of arms are just now entering the country.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:56 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,606,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Not up to the task but in days they took over as much Ukrainian territory as is the size of the United Kingdom.

Not bad for a bunch of "blokes" who aren't up to the task. Imagine if they were!
There are no imaginary crack forces waiting to be deployed.

This it it, this is the best Russia can muster.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:05 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
News of the demise of these savages would be music to my ears.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:08 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Sure, and the Moskva caught fire on its own. (We're going to be seeing a lot of attempts at adjusted expectations, I suspect.)

The assault on Kyiv was a decapitation strike that failed. Sounds great on paper: Take the Antonov airport with paratroopers, land their reinforcements in transport planes, roll into Kyiv with your BMDs and broadcast your fait accompli from the seat of government. The FSB has bribed collaborators on every level, and you'll be greeted as liberators. The West will have to concede and everybody will be home in time for vodka and medals.

The charlie-foxtrot that was the attack on the Antonov airport was carried out by some of Russia's most competent and well-trained troops - valuable, high-end units. They were given a bad plan to carry out - the Ukrainians blocked the runway, no reinforcements arrived, and the FSB had taken the bribe money for themselves, because that's how Russia rolls. So the airdropped troops did what airdropped troops do when the reinforcements don't arrive: Died or surrendered.

You don't plan for deploying hard-to-replace paratroopers and then abandon them as a diversionary attack. It's a completely silly idea and you should feel bad for suggesting it.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:15 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
My daughter is an A-grade high school student. I'd understand she wouldn't know something about world history. But she knows nothing about even American history. She doesn't know Johnny Appleseed, she doesn't know Paul Banyan, she doesn't know Davy Crockett, or even what Alamo is known for.
No offense, but are those important? Johnny Appleseed and Paul Banyan (sic), for all of their folklore value, aren't what you'd call towering figures in history. I'd hope she knew of Washington and Jefferson rather than Davy Crockett.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:16 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Wrong!!! When the west witnessed the genocidal nature of this aggression...that's when they stepped up to the plate. The large shipments of arms are just now entering the country.
Ukrainians also aren't sending untrained men to the frontline. Intensive training underway in Poland in particular where large numbers (figure given that I don't want to incorrectly repeat but LARGE) will be available in June. The latter I focused on; Ukraine is in for the long haul.

What the Donbas did was provide basic experience, for example in using Amazon-purchased drones. Men already proficient in the basics are selected for further training in advanced weaponry in Poland and elsewhere, with then only about two weeks needed for proficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies