Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2022, 07:19 AM

2,037 posts, read 1,605,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
B-52s can only operate over very light contested skies. They are old. Wouldn't stand much of a chance against advanced MIG's and SAM'S.
They are far more advanced now than you think, and would be heavily guarded by F-35 fighter jets. Remember, these are high altitude bombers, and would be well out of range of surface to air missiles.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:22 AM

2,284 posts, read 637,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You do realize that those countries economies are meaningless in the scheme of things. The US and EU combined are over half the world's GDP. Then add Canada, Australia and Japan....

Meanwhile Russia is headed for default.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/euro...if-2022-02-28/
Russia's biggest trade partners:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ners_of_Russia

Exports

1) China (no sanctions, increasing trade)
2) Netherlands (very interesting!) (sanctions)
3) Germany (sanctions)
4) Belarus (ally no sanctions)
5) USA (sanctions)
6) Italy (sanctions)
7) Turkey (no sanctions)
8) South Korea (maybe sanctions?)
9) Japan (sanctions)
10) Kazakistan (no sanctions)

So EU sanctions hurt, USA sanctions will be felt too. It's all of a matter if Russia can offset this with increased trade to China and other markets.

Btw,

Russia runs a trade deficit with Germany, so sanctions here will correct that imbalance (i.e they will hurt Germany more). Also, a huge trade deficit with France (it exports hardly anything but imports a lot).

Old 03-02-2022, 07:24 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,540,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Russia's biggest trade partners:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ners_of_Russia

Exports

1) China (no sanctions, increasing trade)
2) Netherlands (very interesting!) (sanctions)
3) Germany (sanctions)
4) Belarus (ally no sanctions)
5) USA (some sanctions, increasing oil buying)
6) Italy (sanctions)
7) Turkey (no sanctions)
8) South Korea (maybe sanctions?)
9) Japan (sanctions)
10) Kazakistan (no sanctions)

So EU sanctions hurt, USA sanctions will be felt too. It's all of a matter if Russia can offset this with increased trade to China and other markets.

Btw,

Russia runs a trade deficit with Germany, so sanctions here will correct that imbalance (i.e they will hurt Germany more).

My corrections above, in red

Old 03-02-2022, 07:26 AM

30,169 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
These what if ultra doomsday scenarios are stupid

Here’s a doomsday - what if western populations don’t protest their governments against starting WW3 and we end up in WW3?
Russia is the aggressor. Western countries have not started anything.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:27 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Whether you spell it Kiev or Kyiv, both are incorrect since the wrong alphabet (English) is being used. I could spell it out for you properly but I don't have a Cyrillic alphabet keyboard.
Any neither do any of us. So the correct way to write it is Kyiv.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:28 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,540,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You do realize that those countries economies are meaningless in the scheme of things. The US and EU combined are over half the world's GDP. Then add Canada, UK, Australia and Japan....

Meanwhile Russia is headed for default.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/euro...if-2022-02-28/

yeah? so? go collect lol

Russia was structured on a communist model for all of modern history. so, assuming the worst economics, people still go to work and in lieu off current pay rate they get food and fuel which the country has ample excess of. and a free MiG as well. (its actually kinda what communist means....)

they wont LIKE it, but they wont STARVE.

an american will not understand this.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:28 AM

225 posts, read 191,690 times
China to continue trade relations with Russia

Beijing will keep importing Russian natural gas while opposing international sanctions

Quote:
China will maintain normal trade relations with Russia despite international sanctions, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said on Tuesday during a regular press conference.

“China and Russia will continue to carry out normal trade cooperation following the spirit of mutual respect, equality and mutual benefit,” he said.

According to the spokesman, China’s position was to oppose any “illegally imposed” unilateral sanctions, believing that “sanctions are not an effective solution to solve problems.”
https://www.rt.com/news/551036-china...rade-continue/

Old 03-02-2022, 07:29 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
The Russian Army, together with the National Guard of Ukraine, protects the Chernobyl nuclear power plant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLG4...b_channel=SHOT

Zaporozhye NPP is also under protection.

Exactly. Appears, fierce battle to protect the Chernobyl sarcophagus from suicide mission forces came to success.

OP, use common sense. Who in the world wants to inherit radioactive country with scorched radioactive territory for about next hundred years to come? With NO guarantees that, mother nature may decide to blow winds/radioactive clouds in not desired direction? If you cut the propaganda crap about "mad, insane" Putin, he is a very pragmatic, working out man. In good health. WHY would he even consider something as stupid, as you describe? Well, someone else does and you simply follow the lead. Video games mentality.
This is why DAY ONE of the special op, Chernobyl had its protection and the heaviest fighting was, actually, there, when those desperate realized that Wild West, where they ruled, is coming to an end and started looking for something desperate to do.

Besides, ALL Soviet NPSs were designed to withstand nuclear strikes. They were built during times, when West had no concerns to threat nuclear strikes on the USSR, if so wished.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:31 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
South Korea has imposed sanctions. You realize that about 80% of world trade is conducted in dollars with the euro, yen and British pound following. Russia is locked out of those currency markets. China is going to take worthless rubles?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Fin...ter-of-default

Old 03-02-2022, 07:31 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
I have been spelling it Kiev my entire life. I understand that one is the Ukrainian version versus the Russian version, but I like the spelling "Kiev" more. I don't know what to make of "Kyiv", my American trained sense of reading doesn't do well with "Ky". So it requires me to stop and think to spell it that way.

As for "The Italy" and "The Ukraine" I have no clue what you're talking about Did I use such language?
As for your second paragraph no you did not but many, including myself until I became informed, as well as President Trump constantly called it "The Ukraine".

As for the first paragraph I called it Kiev as well for years, but again I have been enlightened to the correct spelling and how to pronounced it correctly (2 syllables). If we claim to be in support of the people of Ukraine we can at least spell the name of their Capitol correctly and not use the Russian version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies