Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 12:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Dont listen to all the propaganda on the Ukraine "war". The cray Democrats are trying to goad the citizenry into a pointless war.
Actually, they've done a good job of avoiding a war. Ukraine isn't even a NATO member. There's no reason for the US to get directly involved. Remember, the man threatened "the West" with the nuke button. And he made good on his threats to invade Ukraine. Nobody's stupid enough to gamble on what he might do next. Except maybe for a few hawks in the military. You know, the same type of people who tried to goad Kennedy into starting a war over Cuba. They weren't Dems, btw.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:12 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
[quote=Crosstimbers Okie;63021616]Ol' Poopypants again... https://www.lewrockwell.com/2022/03/...00000-barrels/

You posted the same link twice, not sure why.

Thanks for linking us to a Libertarian anarchist news source, though.

Quote:
Llewellyn Harrison Rockwell Jr. (born July 1, 1944) is an American author, editor, and political consultant. A libertarian and a self-professed anarcho-capitalist,
Orange Man was the epitome of a loose cannon, btw. Not really someone you want to have commanding the military or with a nuke button within reach.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:34 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
Some think the current crop are a bit soft. https://www.dvidshub.net/news/414340...-camp-injuries

I did Basic in the '70s (Army, Ft. Sill, starting in Aug.). Out of 130(?) I think we had nine die in training. Even more washed out due to injuries, inability to meet fitness standards or 'failure to adapt'. Some of the injured were eligible for 're-cycle', others were not.

Based on my experience with the young fellows working for me a couple of years ago, I have significant doubts about the ability of many of them to make it through the same kind of training as we did back then.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
Hot off the press. Osama Bin Liden strengthens Putin's hand even more. https://gellerreport.com/2022/02/bid...y-sector.html/

Credibility right out the window.

'Osama Bin Laden'.

You've got to be joking.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Neville Chamberlin tried to avoid war! If Neville had bloodied Hitlers nose instead of giving him everything he wanted in exchange for promises of peace, well it might been different. Hitler didnt have the military to overwhelm UK at that point. Appease a bully at your own future risk. Putin sure wasnt looking for peace and non-escalation. The bully wants what the bully wants and will take advantage of any sign of weakness.

Hey its a gamble, Putin doesnt have the infrastructure for long protracted war. His economy is a one trick pony oil economy, not an industrial powerhouse like the old USSR. Put it this way, if challenged, he would back down and sue for peace.... or go out in a blaze of Soviet nuclear glory. The man is obviously bit mad, so flip a coin which is more likely. Does he like his grandchildren or not?

I don't think Putin is going to stop unless somebody stops him. There should have been a harsh response/warning when he first started building up the troop levels around Ukraine- he was signaling his intentions and waiting to see if anyone would say something, like a 5 year-old looking in momma's eyes and pushing a plate of brussel sprouts toward the edge of the table, he's daring you to stop him and if you don't he is going to go ahead and push that plate right off. When no one did, it told him that NATO was a paper tiger and he could just go ahead and break the plate.

It's going to take a lot to stop him now, and I see a whole lot of pain ahead for a whole lot of people. Before the media was shut down in Russia, there was a broadcast in which a map was displayed, on that map were the plans of troop movements for what happens after Ukraine. I don't think Ukraine is going to be enough for him, if he gets away with it he is going to want more.

Anyone who has ever played 'Risk' should have been able to easily predict what was going to happen. We played a lot of Risk when I was in the Army, working out various scenarios and strategy. I think Putin is unstable (to put it mildly), and now he is going to push the envelope just as far as he can. He has already threatened the nuclear option...and I think he may be just crazy enough to do it. He needs to be taken out before that happens. One of my projects in the Army was studying nuclear strategies and the results of various scenarios. I am far more concerned about this going very bad than I was back then...and if you knew what I know, you would be too.

NATO, including the US, should have been moving troops into the the surrounding NATO countries as soon as Putin started building up along the Ukraine border, at a rate of 2:1, Maybe even making a unilateral declaration that Ukraine was under NATO protection. If it were me, I would have even considered a fast-track agreement with Ukraine for 'training' and 'wargames' between Ukrainian and NATO troops. Would Putin have dared fire on Ukraine while NATO troops, including the US, were present? I don't think his balls were quite that big then, now it's a different story.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:49 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I don't think Putin is going to stop unless somebody stops him. There should have been a harsh response/warning when he first started building up the troop levels around Ukraine- he was signaling his intentions and waiting to see if anyone would say something, like a 5 year-old looking in momma's eyes and pushing a plate of brussel sprouts toward the edge of the table, he's daring you to stop him and if you don't he is going to go ahead and push that plate right off. When no one did, it told him that NATO was a paper tiger and he could just go ahead and break the plate.

It's going to take a lot to stop him now, and I see a whole lot of pain ahead for a whole lot of people. Before the media was shut down in Russia, there was a broadcast in which a map was displayed, on that map were the plans of troop movements for what happens after Ukraine. I don't think Ukraine is going to be enough for him, if he gets away with it he is going to want more.

Anyone who has ever played 'Risk' should have been able to easily predict what was going to happen. We played a lot of Risk when I was in the Army, working out various scenarios and strategy. I think Putin is unstable (to put it mildly), and now he is going to push the envelope just as far as he can. He has already threatened the nuclear option...and I think he may be just crazy enough to do it. He needs to be taken out before that happens. One of my projects in the Army was studying nuclear strategies and the results of various scenarios. I am far more concerned about this going very bad than I was back then...and if you knew what I know, you would be too.

NATO, including the US, should have been moving troops into the the surrounding NATO countries as soon as Putin started building up along the Ukraine border, at a rate of 2:1, Maybe even making a unilateral declaration that Ukraine was under NATO protection. If it were me, I would have even considered a fast-track agreement with Ukraine for 'training' and 'wargames' between Ukrainian and NATO troops. Would Putin have dared fire on Ukraine while NATO troops, including the US, were present? I don't think his balls were quite that big then, now it's a different story.

Excellent reference to Risk. I do think though we have enough assets in possition to take the Russians on. The only thing holding us back is the nuclear option that he still has his fingers on. It has been the same two choices every American president has had to weigh. This dance has been danced before. The difference here is we played some cards that were previously not been taken. Let's hope that they will make a difference. We know the Russians are not having as much luck on the ground as they would like. **** poor planning and or execution is my guess.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:01 PM

41 posts, read 18,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

Do you know how to neutralize nuclear weapons?

Old 03-05-2022, 04:36 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
The U.S. faces just as much blame for the situation in Ukraine by misjudging Russia's response and assuming it could contain and ultimately choke off Russia.
NO!

That's like saying a abused housewife "faces just as much blame as the husband for the situation by misjudging her husband's response" to her appeasement.

That's like saying the neighbors of an abused housewife "faces just as much blame as the husband for the situation by misjudging the husband's response" to their non-action.

That's horse manure. There is no reasonably scenario in which Russia had an existential need to invade Ukraine. No other nation is to blame for Russia taking that step. It might be true that just the perfect action at just the perfect time might have persuaded Russia from invasion, but all the blame, all of it, is on Russia.

Old 03-05-2022, 04:38 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, they've done a good job of avoiding a war. Ukraine isn't even a NATO member. There's no reason for the US to get directly involved. Remember, the man threatened "the West" with the nuke button. And he made good on his threats to invade Ukraine. Nobody's stupid enough to gamble on what he might do next. Except maybe for a few hawks in the military. You know, the same type of people who tried to goad Kennedy into starting a war over Cuba. They weren't Dems, btw.
There aren't any hawks in the military gambling on war with Russia, at least not any at the executive advisory level. There are more likely to be such people in Congress.

Old 03-05-2022, 05:14 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

First, Putin's chest-thumping over nuclear weapons is just that - bravado.

Second, Putin did not threaten to invade Ukraine. He stated, over and over, that Russia had no plans to invade Ukraine when they obviously did.

Putin's playing a weak hand, and people like you are convinced it's a straight flush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies